Ignition upgrade

-

lee01

Reaction score
I use the search button and now more confused with all the possibility.

I want to upgrade my ''i guess'' stock ignition. Bare with me, I never ran anything in my car. Bought it in pieces and the ignition pieces I got with are what you called ''questionable''

Now I just want a simple upgrade....not looking at the moment to make big HP, I have a 318 4 speed and the engine mainly stock except for and Edelbrock intake and dual pumper carb.

What you guys think.

I don't wan't to spend too much at this moment because i'm still have alot to go through.

Will something like this would be good enough?
(around 195$ shipped to Canada...plus duty i guess)

!Bke8c4QBWk~$(KGrHqYOKjQEsneT4jMEBL(wpUR)!Q~~_12.JPG

Would a simple HEI would be cheaper and less wiring under the hood?
100 shipped.

Something like this?

I did make a HEI swap on my 88 Mustang two year ago, and it ran great.

$(KGrHqF,!mEE2D8Cu7CEBNoIy(bgIw~~_12.JPG

When I upgraded from my points ignition last summer I purchased this kit http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...proform_22740066-p?searchTerm=proform+kit+318

in the picture it shows as coming with the blue box but it actually comes with the orange box.

Also you can get promo codes for advanceautoparts.com and save alot of cash. Here's a promo code for $40 off of $100 or more plus free shipping " TRT41 "

The kit was easy to install and works great and looks great and really dressed things up compared to what the factory crap looked like.

Everyone has different opinions on what to go with.....and alot of folks have deep pockets and can afford to go with a much more expensive brand. But if your looking to keep the price down but still get good name brand quality than I can vouch that this is a good set up to go with. And it comes with everything to install it.

I also used an accel ignition coil on my engine instead of stock. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...9-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16064

hope that helps

When I upgraded from my points ignition last summer I purchased this kit http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...proform_22740066-p?searchTerm=proform+kit+318

in the picture it shows as coming with the blue box but it actually comes with the orange box.

Also you can get promo codes for advanceautoparts.com and save alot of cash. Here's a promo code for $40 off of $100 or more plus free shipping " TRT41 "

The kit was easy to install and works great and looks great and really dressed things up compared to what the factory crap looked like.

Everyone has different opinions on what to go with.....and alot of folks have deep pockets and can afford to go with a much more expensive brand. But if your looking to keep the price down but still get good name brand quality than I can vouch that this is a good set up to go with. And it comes with everything to install it.

I also used an accel ignition coil on my engine instead of stock. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...9-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16064

hope that helps
Advanceauto won't ship to Canada, however I know were I can get Proform stuff though.

bummer, didnt notice you were in canada.

I do see on ebay ...if you type in that proform part number) there is a number of "buy it now" listings for the same kit.....with free shipping (world wide shipping) for right around $150.00 .

Proform stuff is pretty low quality. Honestly, you can get a rebuilt factory Mopar elec dizzy, a coil, and either an hei module or CDI box for pretty cheap. Come to think of it, I have an HEI module, coil and wiring that will plug right into a factory dizzy that I need to post for sale.

The best and most sime set up that I have done is a;

MoPar distributor
Accel coil a MSD/Mallory, etc... will do as well
MSD's 6A box though any multi spark box will do great

This is all you need and a simple adjustment to dial in the distributor is all you do. Follow the instructions in the MoPar engines book.

Tune the carb crisp, a slight lean and coupled with the above ignition, you should see a mileage gain, no problem!

As for MoPar bolt in's go, the Chrome box with the MP distributor was best.

Proform stuff is pretty low quality.

To each his own. Mines excellent quality. The only real complaint would be the cap that came with it didn't fit as well as I'd like it to of, so I used a upgraded aftermarket cap and problem solved.

I sure wouldn't pay $195 for that setup. It is difficult and confusing to re-wire a points car for the Mopar ECU, and gives you an older electronic design. Much better than points, but there are better options. For $45 you can get a "ready-to-run" HEI distributor on ebay for your 318. Several posts here (search). Add an e-core coil, open your spark plug gap, and should see smoother running, easier starts, and better mileage.

Hey, Will amazon ship to your country?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Proform-66991-Electronic-Conversion-Distributor/dp/B000630IXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369941848&sr=1-1&keywords=Proform+66991"]Proform 66991 Electronic Conversion Distributor Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

lot's of options and opinions here.
more important than brand is having all wiring and contacts in good condition and as Rumble points out everything fine tuned.

-
Back