Illegal Coronet?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Searching Craigslist for cars and came across this '67 Coronet 500. Yes the front seats are ugly :rofl:

I am selling my 1967 Dodge Coronet 500 (2 Door) CUSTOM. I inherited this car in 2012. I really don't know in detail certain aspects of this car. I do know it has a 440 ci 4 barrel engine, bored 30 over. Custom aluminum radiator, Doug custom Headers, Demon 750 carburetor, B&M slap shifter, racing seats, roll cage (no back seat), Cragar racing wheels, Mickey Thompson Widest Hi-Performance Street Legal Back Tires. This car was built for drag racing. I changed the gears so it can be street drive able. Not matching numbers. It has a 1966 Dodge Charger Parts in it. Vin number specifies that this vehicle is a 1966 Dodge Charger. TITLE IN HAND! Own a Classic MOPAR! Located in the Henderson/Las Vegas Area. $10,000 or BEST OFFER!

00n0n_lG5ne6c9dEY_600x450.jpg

00c0c_hHoc78PCDIp_600x450.jpg

00404_l3XmIXKTy7C_600x450.jpg

00P0P_5qruxx6ENtn_600x450.jpg

00P0P_7ihl5GpAQYE_600x450.jpg

00a0a_29gJWaOVVv1_600x450.jpg

Car looks like it has a Fuel Cell which kind sucks. But the biggest pause is the whole VIN for a '66 Charger?

:wack:

Sorry , Never seen it before in person. Has been on craigslist for while. Maybe it will be at the Mopars/Muscle at the the Strip show next weekend. It may have the vin tag from the parts car ? Big pause for sure.

I asked the seller if the VIN tag was from a '66 Charger and this is the response:

The vin says it's a 1966 Dodge Charger but the title says it's a 1966 Dodge Coronet. Only thing the car has, is a small transmission leak which means you need to replace the gasket. I'm at work right now, so u can give you the Vin # later.

My reply:

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The metal VIN tag is for a '66 Charger, the title states it's a '66 Coronet, but the car itself is a '67 Coronet 500?

Seller confirmed it. VIN tag is for a Charger, Title matches the vin but calls the car a '66 Coronet and the car itself is a '67.

I've seen non XX vin Daytonas that are legit. Would warrant some proper 2nd vin investigations, but I do know that as you go back, before '68, Chrysler wasn't always on top of things with vin numbers and such.

Remember, there are lost and found areas on forums dedicated to relocating factory misplaced build sheets. We pulled a 318 build sheet out of the back seat of a 1 owner AAR 'Cuda a few months ago. It happens more often than you'd like to think.

If the numbers on the vin (actual final run numbers) match the run numbers on the vin on the body, it's a factory mishap. I've seen it twice.

Ive seen and brought a couple cars back from the US and the year on the title was different than what the vehicle actually was. Some states dont care as long as the vin # matches vin on the title.

Ive seen and brought a couple cars back from the US and the year on the title was different than what the vehicle actually was. Some states dont care as long as the vin # matches vin on the title.

What gives me pause isn't the wrong year on the title, it's the fact that the VIN plate on the car is from a totally different model of car....

Who gives a ****? The car is not original. It is not numbers matching. It is not being represented as such. It is simply a car with a nice paint job and running and driving. It seems to be worth the asking price as numbers matching cars in its condition go for twice as much. Bills of sale are all you need on cars like that, so what's the problem? There's nothing illegal or misrepresented here. Some of yall are so anal it's stupid. But that's no surprise.

What gives me pause isn't the wrong year on the title, it's the fact that the VIN plate on the car is from a totally different model of car....

How do you know? Have you seen the VIN yet? How do you know someone at the tag office didn't enter the wrong VIN on the paper work? It happens all the time. Also, since the car is not being misrepresented, OR overpriced, WTF difference does it make? Bill of sale is ALL that is required. You gonna buy the car? No? Then don't worry about it.

My parents owned a 2dr 85 ( I think ) Olds Cutlass Ciera that was titled as a 4 dr. My dad didn't seek out to correct the error as he said it was less expensive to title a 4dr than a 2dr.

j

I have posted before about some of the screwy abbreviations on titles in my title collection. Heck I had one trailer listed as a util on the title, then listed as a camper on the registration. If the car has had numerous title transfers I could easily see the model changing.

If the numbers on the vin (actual final run numbers) match the run numbers on the vin on the body, it's a factory mishap. I've seen it twice.

From my understand VIN numbers weren't stamped into the bodies of Mopars until '68. They were only located on the door jam.

Bills of sale are all you need on cars like that, so what's the problem?

Not in Canada it doesn't. Problems with VIN numbers can turn into some bad trouble with ICBC.

How do you know? Have you seen the VIN yet? How do you know someone at the tag office didn't enter the wrong VIN on the paper work? It happens all the time. Also, since the car is not being misrepresented, OR overpriced, WTF difference does it make? Bill of sale is ALL that is required.

Because the owner said the VIN was from a 1966 Dodge Charger. The VIN was put onto the car so it could be titled properly and driven on the road.

You gonna buy the car? No? Then don't worry about it.

Actually I was planning on it until I found out getting it across the border with a VIN tag from a totally different car could land me in some serious problems with the CBSA.

I have posted before about some of the screwy abbreviations on titles in my title collection. Heck I had one trailer listed as a util on the title, then listed as a camper on the registration. If the car has had numerous title transfers I could easily see the model changing.

Read the thing again. The VIN tag is off a '66 Charger and was attached to the door of the Coronet.

That is one bitchin' car. But all the discrepancies might make it tough on a sale out of the state it's registered in. 10k is a lot of money for yard art.

The thing is, Rusty, you may be looking at this from your State's point of view? I think you guys only require a bill of sale? In Idaho and many other states, you must have a VIN and title. And they must MATCH and be inspected if imported from another state.

The thing is, Rusty, you may be looking at this from your State's point of view? I think you guys only require a bill of sale? In Idaho and many other states, you must have a VIN and title. And they must MATCH and be inspected if imported from another state.

Shipping a vehicle from the US to Canada can be really annoying. There is a chance I can get away with it even. Then I have to deal with ICBC and getting the car inspected and registered. I even have a chance of them missing that too.

Then there is the trouble ever trying to sell it :D

But still, as of right now, all you have is the seller's word it is a 66 Charger VIN. It is entirely possible he is WRONG. Get the VIN then you'll know. Also one last thing. In 1966 the Charger was based off the Coronet. It is entirely possible it was a factory error.

Title errors are pretty common on vehicles.

My D50, the title says it has a 9,000 Pound GVWR. FYI, that's a 1 Ton Truck rating...on a Mini-Pickup (which are all rated between 4,500 - 5,500 pound gvwr)

My Ramcharger, the title says it's a "Dodge Power Wagon." An old registration card for the same Ramcharger from 1988 (last time it was registered), specifies my Ramcharger as a "1976 Dodge Power Wagon-Ramcharger-Truck"

Figure that one out, because the Power Wagon and Ramcharger are 2 different creatures. The Truck part isn't hard to understand, since a Ramcharger could be titled as a Station Wagon or Truck. The Power Wagon-Ramcharger bit makes no sense though, because the Power Wagon was a member of the D/W truck family, and the Ramcharger had its own specific family, the AD/AW series.

Who gives a ****? The car is not original. It is not numbers matching. It is not being represented as such. It is simply a car with a nice paint job and running and driving. It seems to be worth the asking price as numbers matching cars in its condition go for twice as much. Bills of sale are all you need on cars like that, so what's the problem? There's nothing illegal or misrepresented here. Some of yall are so anal it's stupid. But that's no surprise.
somebody **** in your wheaties lately? You've been a real dickhead for a while. No offense intended, of course.

Not positive on a 66 so check a Vin decoder. But since Chargers came from the coronet line they have the same first letter of the vin. Just as dusters decode to valiant and demon to dart. If vin and title match then seller probably is wrong about year. I think its probably legit. But Yes I stay away from cars with title issues. It can turn into a freekin mess. Who wants to spend time and money on a car they cant prove is theres if something happened. Thats not being anal, its just not being a freekin dumbass. Not that I would call anyone a dumbass.... or a dickhead for that matter.

Been 15 years since I decoded My Charger. Just now checked the VIN on an online decoder and yes. First letter W is for a Coronet or Charger.

I understand any consern if the car would be going out of the country.If it stays in the state of Nevada it wouldn't be a problem. DMV has never even looked at the bill of sale,only the title when I go to register.They only look at the car "if" the car has a out of state title. They did have a fit when the vin "sticker"(not the tin tag) on a 72 was not attached to the door jamb. It was removed when the car was painted,I had it with the title. Dang near thought they were gonna take me away in handcuffs.4 hours to get aproval from the head man in charge at the DMV to say it was ok.
I may be wrong but is the vin # stamped into the lip of the trunk gutter under the weatherstrip ? I know it was on my 68 'Cuda. Don't know about a 67

-
Back