"I'm getting out of MoPar" threads.........

-
I cannot speak for anyone else, but here is what it is for "me".

Used to be, you could go out one weekend and find a good solid body for a couple hundred bucks, slap something cool in it and might even be drivin it the next weekend. Now, I have had my 63 Dart in my shop for almost 4 years. In the same spot. Got my 65 Coronet in the driveway. Two years in the same spot. My rat truck in the same spot about two years.

Before any of yall say it, I will. I have too many projects. That's not the main problem though. The main problems for me are several different things. Money of course. My health though is my biggest enemy. It's been on the decline for about three years. I'm not even 50 yet, it shouldn't be like this.

Then when I vent about it to what I think are my friends, I am ridiculed and called a wuss. Makes me wanna just throw my hands up. I know in the back of my mind, I probably shouldn't be in the hobby at all, but I'll go stir crazy if I don't have something to try to do.

The internet is my main outlet and activity because of my health. When things seem like they are closing in and I vent looking for support, I get ridiculed. Ridiculed online, no less. Pure cowardice.
Rob, very well said. I to am not 50 yet but the back isn't the greatest anymore and it seems a lot anymore I have other problems,knees,pains ect. Fabo is a great place for me too. Unfortunately there is always someone who wants to piss on your Cheerios so to speak. Screw em and I go on. Passion is a great thing, hell that's why we are here and doing this right now.Passion is a mopar,but my life with my kids and wife are the most..........Just sayin not tellin. Keep the faith Rob:glasses7:

for the true Mopar lover....Mopars are either in your blood....or not. We can't control it....only try to contain it.

Sometimes some have to leave ( or at least announce they are leaving ) for a short.....but hopefully they make it back.....if not....then have a nice day.

In the immortal words of John Milner (American Graffitti)
"You go on (wherever).....I'll be right here....havin' fun.....as usual!"

Here Here!!! Love this analogy!!!!

Been a lot of comments on here about the cost of Mopars. I see a lot of it comes from the people on this site. Some of the prices I see asked for cars and parts are ridiculous. I know you all know what I mean since that's why there's no commenting on cars for sale cause we look at the car, then the price, and we want to say WTF! We are a community and we should take care of each other since we know how hard it is to afford this stuff. I'm not saying give it away, but be reasonable. Just like you want someone to be to you when you need something.

We are a community and we should take care of each other since we know how hard it is to afford this stuff. I'm not saying give it away, but be reasonable. Just like you want someone to be to you when you need something.

Yes, that is a great idea and I like it.

Problem is that there are some "flippers" on here that take your deal and then turn around and resell it for more money.

Problem is that there are some "flippers" on here that take your deal and then turn around and resell it for more money.

yes , but that is everywhere. these stupid *** car flipping shows are not helping matters either. in the last 5 years alone, the prices on this stuff have doubled and tripled for rusted out junk. there are deals , but you really have to search and hope those people don't watch TV

did any of you , just sit in your car in the garage dreaming and waiting for the day to get that one peice to add to your car. I have, and so have many others. some people it takes less time, others longer, 35 years for me and still not done. Iv'e had it when I started driving and i'll have it when I finish driving. probably longer. It owes me nothing and you will not be driving it. if you have no passion now, you never had it. so quietly move on.

sorry, ramble over!

LOL Right on my MOPAR Brother!!!!!

Yep, and that's jacked. I like to see the parts being used, not just recirculating for a higher price. Their are good people on here who give good deals on stuff and that helps young guns and old guns alike, because age doesn't discriminate on the size of your wallet.

Alot of people just quietly leave the hobby for their own reasons, others like to let it be known. Some people just do it as a farewell and others for a reaction. If you wanna go brand X for the cost, I won't judge you. I had a small car club meet the other day and there was a Corvette, a Mustang, A '76 Chevy 3500 dually, an S2000, my truck, a '56 Belair, and quite a few imports. I don't care what you are into. Car guys should stick together. I'll still be your friend if you drive a Ford. It makes no difference to me. You should always do what YOU FEEL is right. Not what anyone else says is right. And if you wanna up and leave, stay in touch. As inkjunkie was saying, we have emails and phones and facebooks. Doesn't take much to just say hello. Communications go both ways though, so don't get mad at someone when they don't say hey first. Its a two way street. And if you are getting out of the hobby just because life itself is getting in the way, well that's understandable. Sometimes we all get a little busy and we can't make time or its not in the budget. But that's no reason to get all down in the dumps about it. Look on the bright side, progress has been made by your hand, but you are simply waiting to savor the fruits of your labor. It doesn't cost anything for something to sit around, just don't let it cost you anything emotionally.

It has been my opinion that a motor head can be passionate about any make auto weather it be Mopar, Ford ,Chevy or any other brand X. Life will always throw curve balls at you. Weather it's raising a family, job issues, health or any combination of these. But to say you've lost interest,or to expensive, or Chevy or Ford is cheaper? I just don't understand that attitude. I started out drag racing till the age of 26 when raising a family took presidence, When my daughter graduated with her masters I drag raced again and had a few Mopar street cars. When my daughter got married 7 years ago I had to sell my 67 Super Gas Barracuda, trailer and whole operation to pay for the wedding.Now I'm retired and building another race car, 68 Dart and have a 69 Swinger street car.
I guess my point is through all my ups and downs, ins and outs of life, I have ALWAYS been devoted to Mopars since I bought my first 1970 340 4speed Duster in 1972. It's not a part time thing! I can respect a Chevy or Ford guy with the same passion!

I donooo there's lots of reasons, lots of reasoning, and lots of excuses. For me, it means "settling" for "something less." That is, of COURSE my car is not restored "as new." Hell I wasn't even planning on painting it. I want to DRIVE it not sit there and worry about some piece of missing chrome.

You can make bank on this..........unless something happens medically or financially, I'm going to get mine back together and DRIVE it. I might drive it half this summer with no interior trim and no window seals but it is going to get DRIVEN as soon as it's painted, the glass, dash, wiring, and engine are back in.

Redfish looked down on me on one post for "using a 40 year old windshield." I have news. That windshield, 40 years old or not, works just fine. It's gonna get USED

And for all the bitchin we do about Craigslist, I've found a tremendous amount of useable 'stuff' on there, both tools and camera gear and parts for the car. Hell I just bought a new .30 roller short block for 400 bucks!!!

I have theory that a lot of it rides on people needing attention and think posting that kind of crap is going to get them what they need.

even if I were to sell out , I wouldn't tell anybody about , I would just do it

I mean , in the end , who really gives a **** if you sell your duster for a Camaro or what - not , just shut up and do it. they are the ones who have to live with it , not me LOL
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: hell yes u said it

I own nothing but mopars...My 2012 Journey just let me down the other day in a 24" snowfall...I was coming home from a neurosurgery appointment and was going up a hill in 4" of snow and the service AWD light came on....And the AWD stopped working...I have snow tires all the way around,,But that car sucks in snow without the AWD..It is a tank when the AWD works....It was a steep hill and the car is heavy but it was bad...I took it to the dealer and it overheated the Viscus coupler and shut the AWD down...The coupler is on back order and he said as soon as we get it they will call...I said it is winter now and that is when it is needed most...Like it was said earlier the new stuff gives you a bad taste esp when it lets you down at the most needed time...The electronics also have alot of issues...We love the car but I hate repairs esp. when its mine...Bill

Its the money for me . but my heart will all way have mopar blood running though it .

I have had a few old cars over the years and have gone for long stretches in between where I don't have a car at all. I guess it all boils down to what your priorites are at the time. Family, finances or even a person's health can have a huge impact on their ability or desire to own a classic Mopar.

I'm prob going with a GM product after I get all my cars sold. And it is not because I don't love my mopars, cause I do. But the aftermarket for our loved Mopars is getting ridiculous! The prices of normal pieces are getting way out of wack, and I blame the times of the "car investor". People who are buying the classic car in order to only make a profit, not because they have a love for driving or building them.

Rolling Cuda's costing $10k for a PILE OF JUNK needing full quarters, fenders, floor boards, full interior pieces. That's why people are leaving the classic mopar scene, cause it now cost $15k-20k to build a decent driver.

I am 44 and bought my first Mopar when I was 15 in 1985.I have thought about getting out of Mopar a few times over the last few years but I just can not do it.For me it's the gas prices and the cost of parts.I would say the cost of the cars too but if you look long and hard enough you can find a car at a fair price.I used to have 3-4 Mopar toys at all times but nowadays it is hard to keep one car going.And for the last several years I have ran big blocks, but now have a slant 6 Duster....Way easier on gas.I have always said if you want to play you must pay!!!

Agreed! In a way, I am almost the "poster child" for this thread. I owned nothing but Mopars from when I was 16 in 1976 until I was 33 in 1993. I had everything from an '85 Omni GLH in '93 (don't laugh - that little turbo four banger was pretty fast!) to an original '70 HemiCuda from '83 thru '86. They were my car of choice, they were plentiful, and you could get into one for a very reasonable amount of money.

I got out in '93 for several reasons - mostly disposable income and my priorities for it. The main thing was that I was recently married and started having kids. Before that in '89 I had a '70 Challenger convertible street car and a '69 440 powered Dart drag car. As my time and money got tighter I had to sell off the Dart and hoped I could hang onto the Challenger. Later that same year the Challenger got wrecked in a parking lot - some moron backed into it with his Ford F250 caving in the passenger side quarter panel. They didn't make all the repop restoration sheetmetal then like they do now. I needed a whole quarter from a "donor" Challenger convertible and I couldn't find one. I gave up in disgust and sold the Challenger off for next to nothing.

I hung on until '93 owning a '70 Duster, a '68 Dart and the aforementioned '85 Omni GLH. Then the needs of the family necessitated the need for a "mini-van" (gasp!) so I sold off the Omni GLH and went with the van. At the time I thought that when the kids were grown, or my financial position improved, that I could just jump back in to the classic Mopar scene like I had never left.

Fast forward 20 years to 2013 the kids are grown and out of the house and my financial position has improved. In 2013 I join FABO and some other Mopar sites and start looking around to get reconnected with the Mopar scene. My first impression was "sticker shock" - restored cars are not cheap! For that matter, rusted out rolling E-bodies in need of a total resto are not cheap either! Either way, to wind up with something nice you can either pay now for a done car or pay over time to restore a car - either way you are going to pay.

When my dad was '53 he bought an old Packard to restore and he finally finished it 12 years later when he was 65. He only got to enjoy it for two years and then he was gone. I'm 53 now myself and I don't want to go the drawn out restoration route my dad went. After depriving myself of Mopar enjoyment the past 20 years I would rather have something sooner than later.

So I am going to have to pay the $$$ to get back in. As the price to get back in goes up (way up) I give pause to think about my motivation. I love these old Mopars but at 10 mpg and $3.50 a gallon how much will I actually be able to drive it? Almost never see them out on the streets anymore. It would pretty much be just a car show cruiser. I hope thats enough to justify the expense of getting back in.

Last year I finally got my Mopar at age 52. I've loved them since I was a little kid and saw my first 68 Charger. It was cemented later when my dad brought home a 1971 Chrysler 300 as our family ride. School, not having anywhere to store one, life got in the way. Easy to rationalize I guess. But I never forgot them and vowed I would have one one day. One day came last June when I brought my 70 Duster home. Yes it isn't perfect. It also isn"t the 71 Charger R/T that I lust after, but it makes me feel like I am 17 again whenever I am driving it. That feeling is priceless to me. The odd repair or improvement, well I look at that as "the cost of doing business". Brands X never inspired the same passions within me - if I couldn't have a Mopar, I probably would not have an old car.

To get back to the OP's topic, I won't denigrate anyone for leaving. They have to do whatever they feel they have to do. Circumstances do change. However, I would tell them to think it over carefully. Understand what they are giving up and be sure it isn't done in a spur of the moment due to some temporary setback. Things may get better and then they may regret it.

Steve

Same here and God willing one day I'll be making enough money to own a Mopar again.

Likewise. Nite Moves got my last old Mopar. I still roll in a 94 Ram, so I'm not completely out. Strictly financial reasons here. I have been A bodyless since 2012, I still surf fabo everyday! I'll have another one...someday.

Lots of good responses here. I do understand the reasons to leave or take a break like health, $, family etc....not taking shots at anybody there. I guess I am so passionate about Mopar's that I could never imagine leaving them all together....am I a rare breed??? LMAO......keep em' comin guys, like reading all of them.

Me as a kid lol

Attachments

• moparkid.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 277
If you are in a position to keep them, without causing any financial hardship to your family, then keep them. If it's keep the mopar or a roof over your family's head...well you SHOULD know the correct answer.

Hey even when I had a n 84 Buick GN, a 40 Ford two door sedan, and a 68 firebird convertible in my shop. I was still into Mopars. I have to think it in my blood. Also drive a Jeep Wrangler and wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee 70th ed. The day I brought home the Grand National just about caused a riot with the locals (also die Hard Mopar guys) but hey they forgave me after I brought home the 67 Charger. I love all classic cars but I will always be a Mopar guy, My first car at 16yrs old was a 69 Belvedere six banger , our wedding car was a 74 Valiant.
Guy

MoPar is a "Dare to be different" thing :glasses7:

Different is kewl........:prayer: :burnout: :glasses7:

Agreed. can't count the times I have heard the statement about chevy being 1/2 the $ to build. They should be.... They are everywhere. I have considered selling some cars/parts to help finance my house, but I managed to keep my goodies and build a stroker in the process. The stroker was a hard swing, but if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

I have theory that a lot of it rides on people needing attention and think posting that kind of crap is going to get them what they need.

even if I were to sell out , I wouldn't tell anybody about , I would just do it

I mean , in the end , who really gives a **** if you sell your duster for a Camaro or what - not , just shut up and do it. they are the ones who have to live with it , not me LOL

Agreed.

Totally agree with you Keith!

I also think that you should live your dream. Even it's a Duster, Valiant or a Challenger go for it. You have your car for yourself and should not care what others tells you. Do what you want with it and use it!

I was talking with Don about this a while ago and I must admit that one of the big issues in my life is that I collect too many projects! That means that nothing will be done. Too time consuming and it takes too much money too. When I started with Mopars back in 1980 I was lucky to have one car. As my wife says, you can only drive one car at a time and she has a point there!

-
Back