"I'm getting out of MoPar" threads.........

-
I went for years without a mopar before my Dart came along, but NEVER did I think about giving up on mopar's. I looked a long time to find the right car for the right money. It may seem like a waste of time, but in the end it WILL work out. The good deals are still out there if you are willing to dig REALLY hard. Keep your head up and realize that everything happens for a reason. I almost bought a 63 Dodge 330 four door, but the guy screwed me in the end. If I had bought this car that I really didn't want I probably would have ended up with my Dart. And as far as people saying that you can not find a good car for a reasonable price just look at what I bought for $8000.00.

Attachments

• 969985_385605941559725_170717160_n.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 351
Even if I were riding a bike or being pushed in a wheel chair,I would still be a MOPAR man...due to finances and health my car has not ran in 5 yrs,figured I'd be in a nursing home before I get it done,but hell I can still ride in it on weekends..lol..we are all different and for different reasons we do things,job,health,family,finances,no place to work on a project etc...bottom line is you have to have the love for the hobby in your heart and a sense of loyalty or love for it to be in your makeup whether you own a car or not at any given time you still always search or long for a certain MOPAR or MOPARS,and when you obtain 1 or more you spend countless hours and funds to transform it to your dream car,as for me it aint about what it will be worth when it's finished or the value as per say,to me the value is the time and effort spent and the experience ,the gratification of bringing it again to life and driving it and keeping the MOPAR spirit of things moving along for future generations,in todays disposable throw away get something different ever changing society peoples dreams can get lost and their desires to obtain certain dreams and goals can get swept away yet a few still cling and hold on to a dream regardless..I am such a man..aint no car like a MOPAR

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M"]Where are the white women at? - YouTube[/ame]

Id guess $ issues. Buddy of mine has been trying to convert me to chevy for years because of the cost factor. I refuse to, because I like my mopars. I have close to $5000 in my 416 stroker motor doing all the work myself, and he sees that as nuts... He can build a 500 hp 383 small chevy for around $2500. From a $ perspective the chevy 383 makes more sense. As a matter of fact I hate to even see the car at the strip, but @ a local track a 68 dart took the points this past year. Cool rite? Is until he lifts his hood and you see the 540 chevy big block stroker. I worked up the nerve to ask him why and it was exactly what I thought. He said hemi stuff was to ridiculously priced. He built the 1000 hp chevy for the price of a mildly worked street hemi. I guess to each there own, but i hate seeing chevy engines in Mopars......

I'm prob going with a GM product after I get all my cars sold. And it is not because I don't love my mopars, cause I do. But the aftermarket for our loved Mopars is getting ridiculous! The prices of normal pieces are getting way out of wack, and I blame the times of the "car investor". People who are buying the classic car in order to only make a profit, not because they have a love for driving or building them.

The LS or ford platforms are so much more cost effective now. It would cost you thousands to just MOUNT a modern hemi into a-body when installing a Ls1 platform into say a G body would only cost $350 for mounts and crossmember. Price gouging for the mopar aftermarket is very apparent, and it is only going to get worse.

Rolling Cuda's costing $10k for a PILE OF JUNK needing full quarters, fenders, floor boards, full interior pieces. That's why people are leaving the classic mopar scene, cause it now cost $15k-20k to build a decent driver.

This is the exact reason why a lot of people stay away from building Mopars. Don't get me wrong, I love Mopars to death, but the prices are getting ridiculous. People that buy and sell for profit only are driving the prices up. I've owned my 71 Scamp for over 7 years now and have only driven it for 5 minutes down the road to my garage where the resto began.
Finally after all the blood, sweat, tears, and credit cards, I'll hopefully be able to drive it this summer again.

Wonder if part of it could be boredom, some people get into a hobby big time, then a few years down the road, it becomes mundane, so they jump ship and move to something else.

Hey all, I don't post here much, not because I don't want to, just because I don't have the time. So... there is part of the car "problem".

I've not driven the Dart in 12 years, and I am only 35. Talk about commitment... what guy burns through the best years of their life with their classic on jack stands? I do I guess.

For me, it is time & money. I am a saver, and made it a priority to not go into debt over this car. So, that in itself extends the project. I've changed everything on the car, which has made the project pretty expensive. More than I expected being a "dumb kid" starting out. I started on it when I was single/had a gf, redid a house while the project waited, got married, had a daughter, moved to a bigger house (and everything that comes along with that), worked on the Dart when I could, had another daughter, etc. Life moves you in different directions.

The Dart has always been a hobby, as in, something to tinker with when I had the time and money. Anymore, it is really a time issue more than money. It is almost "done" (driveable), but it is tough getting there for some reason. This winter has not helped!!!! :thefinge:

All through this adventure a career that has been pretty taxing at times, time consuming, but something that I enjoy (most of the time...).

To the point -- it is an expensive and time consuming hobby. If you keep your head about you, and don't start changing things, it can stay reasonable. I learned this the hard way. Either way, for a nice car, a paint job, interior, motor refresh, and restored brite-work is still very expensive. Having a Mopar really turns your wallet inside out in this area. If you can do this all yourself, that helps a lot, but then there is that time thing again.

Mopars are more expensive, no doubt. But, I think they also have a nice return, if that is what you are going for. All of my other cars are GM, the Dart is the only Mopar I own. I guess you could say I "prefer" GM because they have been good to me. But when it comes to old cars, I am very open about things as there are many classics that I would love to have.

It has been really frustrating at times with the Dart. Getting pissed and letting it sit for months. This is mostly due to the aftermarket/mods that I have made and things not working out (fitment issues, quality issues, you name it). The next car I do will be mostly stock with maybe the engine/drivetrain hopped up a little bit, nothing crazy. Something that I know I can enjoy in a few years with the family.

That's my two cents...

Some people just get burnt out on hobbies. Don't get me wrong I love my dart now if not more then the day I bought it when I was 15 but that's not the case for everyone. I rock climb a lot and I used to force myself to go do it. Then I realized that's not what a hobby is supposed to be. I think some people are just bored with the hobby or pick up other interest. Instead of forcing themselves to do something they really don't want to do they just walk away. Then again there is the money thing but that's not really leaving the mopar world that's just telling the mopar c ya later .

One thing that always confuses me, especially here on this site is the fact that it is a well known fact that Mopars are/always have been more pricey than a GM or Ford hot rod....along with a price they also suffer from a lack of reproduction parts in many ways...aint like it is a big secret....and instead of either just selling there Mopar/Mopar parts and getting involved with the less $$ brands....or even better being realistic when they first got involved and just started with a Noba, people will just ***** about it, like they are the only ones going thru it.....

And why announce you are leaving the site? Just leave. Sure some will say so it is so my "friends" don't worry abut them.....hate to tell you but if they were truly friends you would have another way to get in touch with them.....you know, maybe email? or perhaps that funny thing that sits on the table and makes that strange ringing sound every now & then?

Either got the money and no time or got the time and no money. A car hobby is a fickle *****.

I think those posts are all about motivation. They are looking for a nudge one way or the other and a little attention. There are thou$and$ of reasons to get out of Mopar but the question is do they want out or can they just not afford to stay in.

I'm a motor man. When you build motors you notice things. Mopar always had the best drivetrain. I don't care if it is a 56 Chrysler 354 Hemi, a 340 Barracuda, a 383 Roadrunner, or a 2.0 DOHC Neon, when you look at how easy it is to go fast and hold up year after year Mopar does it. They all have strengths and weaknesses but Mopar is the only car for me. Time and money are always a consideration, It weeds out people that are not as passionate, or do not have a good or realistic plan. We all do not need or can afford Hemi's, there is a reason for 170 slant sixes and 273's and 360's. They are all good and one size does not fit all. I guess what I'm trying to say is there is a frustration point for most people where they give up. Hopefully we can and have given good advice to keep people from falling into these potholes and get them to where they want to be.

I have theory that a lot of it rides on people needing attention and think posting that kind of crap is going to get them what they need.

even if I were to sell out , I wouldn't tell anybody about , I would just do it

I mean , in the end , who really gives a **** if you sell your duster for a Camaro or what - not , just shut up and do it. they are the ones who have to live with it , not me LOL

Exactly.

Speed has always cost money, how fast do you want to go? With a Mopar, you have good flowing heads, good intake system, forged rods, high nickel blocks, great transmissions and differentials, right from the beginning. I guess it comes down to knowing what you want and making a plan to get there ...

Well, unfortunately I have both my 03 Ram and now the 67 Dart for sale. The ram can go, sad as it is but the 67 Is/ has been in my heart since I got it. Infortunately my life and other crap has gotten in my way. I don't want to but priorities are just that. Im hoping if all is sold I can get something else. Definitely a Mopar. That's all I know and love. I agree with a lot of statements here and I believe some adds are true from the heart but most are a caption to sell, thinking its a good deal because there saying there fed up. JM2CW...............Edd

Different strokes.. I got out of cars for a bit. I needed to in order to put them in the right place in my life. If someone wants to get out - "see ya". One of my closest friends is doing so now. Liquidating everything. He's got AMCs, Mopars, Fords, 10 garage nays plus of parts and cars. Originals, NOS, old, newer. But - cars got overwhelming and he's got other things to be concerned with so I encouraged him to do so. It's not worth it to me to judge or question someone's choice like that. It's not my shoes their in and they're leavin' for a reason.
I've looked into replacing my Neon... If I have my drothers it will be a new Mustang 5.0L because Challengers and Chargers are too much money for the type of car I want. Nevermind the aftermarket support that directly relates back to the manufacturers willingness to let them make stuff for it.

did any of you , just sit in your car in the garage dreaming and waiting for the day to get that one peice to add to your car. I have, and so have many others. some people it takes less time, others longer, 35 years for me and still not done. Iv'e had it when I started driving and i'll have it when I finish driving. probably longer. It owes me nothing and you will not be driving it. if you have no passion now, you never had it. so quietly move on.

sorry, ramble over!

People that buy and sell for profit only are driving the prices up.

There's a key here in this sentence that's been repeated a few times in this thread.

Yes, the "investors" do drive up the prices, but, they also drive up the interest in the cars. If it wasn't for a perceived value, you wouldn't find manufacturers tooling up to reproduce parts. The more demand, the more parts that are produced and the more affordable the parts. It's why you can buy almost anything for a 57 Chevy and practically nothing for a 65 Ambassador. (Did they even make a 65 Ambassador?). It's a double edge sword to be sure. It's also why Mother Mopar appeals to a lot of us. Not everyone has one. So what appeals to us also works against us. It's still ten grand to paint your car whether it's a 69 Chevelle or a 69 Dart. It's that 500 dollar complete quarter for the Chevy that makes the difference.

I will never completely get out of Mopars or the hobby. I have however dialed it back quite a bit.

When I first got into it I was a kid with a pretty fun Charger. We actually "CRUISED" our cars on weekends. We did the stoplight bravado. We engaged in less than sanctioned competitions on frontage roads. (Used to be some nice ones out by Lawrence Welks).

Now, it's more about going to some parking lot, park or fairground and setting up a lawn chair behind your prized possession. Cool for an hour, yawn for a day. There are no longer any dragstrips close by. So to actually get to one and do some grudge runs or T&Ts is like planning a weekend at a sanctioned event. Lord knows I would never test anything I have recently done to my car in a empty industrial complex on a weekend. :finga:

I work on my stuff for me now. When I want. Doing what I want. I help friends out when they need or want it. I go to the local gatherings occasionally to see friends. If I happen to see a car that is interesting to me, then it's a bonus. If there is a lawn chair in the back of my car, you can be sure I'm going fishing.

I want to publicly thank the OP for starting this thread and the members here who have basically said what I said in the last " I'm Out thread " I posted in and that is don't let the doorknob hit you where the good lord split you on the way out , I was jumped on by a member or two for saying it but if you want sympathy try the dictionary it's in between shyte and syphillus , Mopar has always been the expensive line and the resale prices generally reflect it in the long run , I had to wait till my 40s to be able to jump back in to the Mopar crowd and I ate a lot of KD and Beenie Weenies to pay for my car but the sacrifice is part of the satisfaction for those of us who know what it is like to work for what you have .

...........I still have my 2 dusters, my race car hasn't raced in 7 years, my street car made 30 miles last year, 15 miles the year before, I just don't have the time it seems anymore...my grand daughter came along 7 years ago, my gf too, then its grand parenting, concerts, sports, camping, boating, fishing, going to the park, and of course being on FABO for hours on end.......meeting new friends thru FABO is 1 of the best things in life..............kim.........

I cannot speak for anyone else, but here is what it is for "me".

Used to be, you could go out one weekend and find a good solid body for a couple hundred bucks, slap something cool in it and might even be drivin it the next weekend. Now, I have had my 63 Dart in my shop for almost 4 years. In the same spot. Got my 65 Coronet in the driveway. Two years in the same spot. My rat truck in the same spot about two years.

Before any of yall say it, I will. I have too many projects. That's not the main problem though. The main problems for me are several different things. Money of course. My health though is my biggest enemy. It's been on the decline for about three years. I'm not even 50 yet, it shouldn't be like this.

Then when I vent about it to what I think are my friends, I am ridiculed and called a wuss. Makes me wanna just throw my hands up. I know in the back of my mind, I probably shouldn't be in the hobby at all, but I'll go stir crazy if I don't have something to try to do.

The internet is my main outlet and activity because of my health. When things seem like they are closing in and I vent looking for support, I get ridiculed. Ridiculed online, no less. Pure cowardice.

For a second there I thought you said "throw up in my hands"......

-
Back