I'm going backwards on my dart!

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Heard a funny noise in my motor so out it came, figured as long as the motor was out that I would paint the engine bay from crappy black to body color like it should be.
Started to clean things up and noticed a little hole up by the fender mount bolts.
Started poking around and look what I found that some dumb a** had put bondo on then painted over.

rust 001.jpg

rust 002.jpg

rust 003.jpg

rust 005.jpg

rust 006.jpg

Just doing a visual from the first 2 pictures,you can see the cake in there.Did you just purchase the car?Atleast you,ll get it done properly now.Is there any other bad spots?I,d go over the whole car now and check rear frame?My 2 cents.

I've had the car for about 4 years, didn't really notice the bondo spots because of the black paint. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it.
I have access to a 72 parts car I'm going to go look at it tomorrw to see if the inner fender is good.

There was a guy on CL Seattle that was selling a good A body k member and front frame for 125 bucks. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I know these set backs always surprise and hurt us, but you have to look at the bright side. We have cars, and so many people out there would love to have one of our cars but either can't find one in good enough condition to rebuild or can't afford one,etc. We are very fortunate to have these old cars and we will do ok. Do you have or know someone with a mig welder. It shouldn't be too hard to set a piece in to repair these spots.

if youlook right behind that hole you will see a small hole cut by the factry do you see all that dabre in there cut that hole biger and clean that out of there i use a long rod with a hook bent in it. then flush it out with water. then i let the hole open . just thought id try to save you a bigger problem later the rest of that rust is an easy fix .

I know these set backs always surprise and hurt us, but you have to look at the bright side. We have cars, and so many people out there would love to have one of our cars but either can't find one in good enough condition to rebuild or can't afford one,etc. We are very fortunate to have these old cars and we will do ok. Do you have or know someone with a mig welder. It shouldn't be too hard to set a piece in to repair these spots.

So true, the more I look really hard at my dart the more things I find to fix!
But then thats why I built my shop. I'd rather be out there working on my dart then just sitting watching the old boob tube!

if youlook right behind that hole you will see a small hole cut by the factry do you see all that dabre in there cut that hole biger and clean that out of there i use a long rod with a hook bent in it. then flush it out with water. then i let the hole open . just thought id try to save you a bigger problem later the rest of that rust is an easy fix .

I was fishing around in that hole last night trying to get all the pine neadles and stuff out of there. Making it bigger is a great idea.

Might have to just buy myself a mig welder, I need to replace the driverside floor also. Someone fiberglassed over the rust there.

This car was a present from my Daugther and Son-in-Law so it means a lot to me, so I don't really mind fixing it. Besides look at all the experience I'm getting! :toothy10:

70dart340 I think I remember seeing that on CL

I have a complete inner fender assembly from a '72 swinger. cut junk yard style at the firewall. it also has front frame rails and core support.

looks like the po was a chebby guy

I wonder where you got that? LOL:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

yep:toothy10:!
it was funny rob called me all sad like when he finally figured out that he couldn't do the conversion like he thought he could. I was a little mad at him for cutting it how he did but it would be perfect for Green dart.

I have a 74 Valiant that I am cutting up. I think it should work if you can't find what you need let me know.

yep:toothy10:!
it was funny rob called me all sad like when he finally figured out that he couldn't do the conversion like he thought he could. I was a little mad at him for cutting it how he did but it would be perfect for Green dart.

Yeah, and as I recall it's solid as a rock. The more i think about it I probably should have put a roof skin on that car.

Talked with Ross last night, Looks like I'll be learning how to put in a inner fender! :cheers:

Darn! now I have to go buy that mig welder I been trying to convince the wife I need. :( :toothy10:

You're not going backwards, You're right on track. Those things happen to the best of us. (ha ha). I have similar problems with 67 Sweptline P/U. A mig is on my shopping list this morning so I'm off to Harbor Freight.

Jim

Thats why I spend a little more money than someone here thinks I should of on my dart.That factory under coating hides rust.My cars are always clean no under coating for me.Good luck.

Yeah, and as I recall it's solid as a rock. The more i think about it I probably should have put a roof skin on that car.

o well. Greendart came and picked it up today so hopefully we will get to see some pics of it being used. (it was good meeting you guys and thank you very much for the salmon!!!)

that green dart went into 4cars now that I know of. not to shabby.

that green dart went into 4cars now that I know of. not to shabby.

5 actually unless you are counting the quarters and doors I took. I put the driver's door on my red Scamp yesterday and the quarters are in the garage waiting for me to get brave. I used the crossmember too and the disk brakes are also waiting to go on that car. I gave the pistons to one of the other members (Jim) so that would be 6.

Thanks Ross and I hope you enjoy the salmon, guess with all I have to do to my dart I won't be going to Canada fishing this year.
I'm going to miss a freezer full of halibut and salmon this winter, that's some good eating there!

We where getting ready to start on the transplant of the front clip Ross gave me and we ran into a whole new can of worms.
The frame rail on the drivers side we could see what looked like bondo in an area that the paint had got rubbed off of.

Some dip wad some where down the road had don a half a## job of repairing a rotted out frame rail. It's rotted all the way back under the floor boards.
They put two pieces of angle iron on either side of the rot spot welded it to the frame then bondoed over the hole thing to hide their crappy job of trying to fix it.
At this point I'm lost and don't really know what to do, it looks to me like the entire frame rail need to come out and a different one put back in.

As if that wasn't enough I bought a mig welder from a guy on craigs list and tried to use it today and it won't work. He is a very old guy and said he's sorry but he don't have the money to give back to me. Not a good day guys!

poor dart 010.jpg

poor dart 011.jpg

poor dart 013.jpg

poor dart 014.jpg

poor dart 015.jpg

The welder as no arc, can here it running but nothing when you try to weld. Thought maybe it might have a reset some where but don't see one. It's a pertty cheap little 110v welder. Guess I should have bought a new one in the first place.
I do have 220 in the shop.
I been looking at those caps but thought I better make sure there is something sold there to weld to before getting them. I'm going to get rid of all the bondo so I can see what the moron did then go from there.

Looks like this guy spent more time and effort trying to hide a bad job then it would have taken to just do it right in the first place!

Have you checked the rear rails yet?They might of had the same type of work done on them to hide rot?

I did check the rear rails out. They seem to be ok. One rear spring hanger needs to be replaced. The repair he did there looks strong enough but is still a bogus job and I want it to look right.
Not only did he use bondo but then sprayed under coating over it all to hide it.

-
Back