''I'm going to fix it up someday'' The resurrection of a '74 Dart Sport......

Members Restorations

1. needsaresto

needsaresto Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:00 PM
    There is a local guy who has a cobra /427 side oiler. He installed a centre force....it lasted 4 months LOL!!! Probably the way he drives it.

2. Swinger340Canuc

Swinger340Canuc 72 Swinger 340 Special

Local Time:
    1:00 PM
    Thanks for all the great info Tom, its been so long since I put my fresh 340 4speed set up in I can't remember for sure but I think it was a McCloud plate and disc set up and it performed well for me but if I was going to change my set up during this build would be the time to do it. Mostly I was looking for a little less pedal pressure since this 54 year old leg isn't what it was when I was in my 20's when I parked the car, lol!

Maybe will run into each other at some of the swaps or shows and I will contact you Tom if I need some more info. You can tell by my build I'm a little way off the goal this year being to get the shell into paint before winter.

Thanks Tom

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Dartnut

Dartnut I'm H.R. Shovin'stuff

Local Time:
    Yeah, if you drive anything like an animal and abuse it, nothing will last......:violent1:

4. Dartnut

Local Time:
    I'm 53, so the lighter pedal was a concern to me, especially since i've had my left knee scoped 2 times for damaged cartilage.
    It is lighter than the McCloud set up from what i remember, i don't have one side to side to compare.
    I think you would like it in your application............:cheers:
    Yeah, we'll run across each other one of these days, i don't get up to your neck of the woods very often though.
    Let me know if you need anything for your project Dan, i just might have it, you never know!
    Tom.

5. Swinger340Canuc

Swinger340Canuc 72 Swinger 340 Special

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info Tom, my good bud Kevin (scatpacker) has come thru for some of the many missing pieces, its crazy how much stuff we discarded on these cars back in the 70's when we were messing, ahhhhhh, rodding them up. Thanks for the offer I may take you up on it.

Cheers Danny.

6. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:00 PM
    Hello dartnut guitar guy here from rust panels thread finally found time to scope out youre thread. I really like the green kg8 color I don't think I have ever seen it before. Sure would like to see it fresh. Are you gonna paint it that color? Keep up the good work I will follow your thread as time allows Ray

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Dartnut

Local Time:
      Thanks for the interest, Guitar Guy, If and when i ever paint it, it will be the original color of Dark Sherwood Green Metallic (KG8).
      I just brought the car out from storage and will be driving it soon after i give it the once over and a bath......lol
      There will be more updates in the future for sure, so keep watching!

• MoparDemon

MoparDemon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Stripes look great it really sets the car off, good job :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I love this thread Dartnut. You give me the inspiration to keep pushing along on mine. Super nice sport. Really good work. I love the color combo of sherwood green, and white stripes with white interior.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • needsaresto

Local Time:
          Good to see peeps still posting on this thread. This is a great one,hands on guy!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • Dartnut

Local Time:
            Thanks for the compliments, guys!
            I still drive the car regularly, i've done a few more things to it and haven't gotten around to posting any updates.
            maybe i should get off my butt and do some posting, seeing that people are still reading the thread!

• sprntpshr

sprntpshr New Member

Local Time:
            3:00 PM
            I have been working on a 1974 Scamp for a friend, replacing the torsion bar cross member, torsion bars, brake lines and other rotted out floor sections. All that was left was the brake cable. The cable had been tie-wrapped to the torsion bar on one end the other dangling in mid-air.
            It has been a long time since I had worked on this model but in the past had a 75 Duster as DD. Great car it was till rust did it in.

We looked thru FABO in search of the primary parking brake cable routing and mounting point. Happy to say that as a result of your build thread post # 17 we are now able to solve the mystery of where it is routed thru the cross member.
            With any luck at all the car should be back running this week after 20 years stored in a garage.

Thanks for the info! James

• Like Like x 1
            • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
              I got 150,000 miles on the stocker in my 94 chevy pickup. Owned it since new. Either this guy doesnt know how to drive a stick or he's an effin animal with it all the time. Some people just need 2 pedals, and a slushbox.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • needsaresto

Local Time:
                Yup. Animal and that side
                oiler ain't stock lol

• Dartnut

Local Time:
                Glad to have helped you, to me, this is what build threads are all about.........

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                ????

I have lived in the Spokane area most of my life. Did you live here or travel to race?

BTW, love the build, just reading it after you linked to it in the "Stock or not" thread. Have to say, there is a whole lot of similarities between your car and mine. Some of the pictures gave me goosebumps thy were so similar to one's I took.

Back to reading. :D

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                • Dartnut

Local Time:
                  Thanks for enjoying my build.
                  It would be great to meet up with you and see your car one of these days!
                  to answer your questions, I traveled 180 miles one way to race.
                  I used to go to Spokane Raceway Park a lot back in the day from Canada. (the locals called me nuts) lol.
                  And, I used to hang out with some guys in Post Falls, Idaho and usually spent the night there.
                  For quite awhile it was go down there and race on Saturday, hang out with them after, and drive home on Sunday.
                  I did this every 2 weeks in the summer for a couple of years.
                  I was also there when Big Daddy blew over his Top Fuel car in the traps during the ''World Finals'' that they used to have.
                  Ahhh........the good old days!
                  I would have to find and scan some pictures if they exist, i lost the majority of them and the trophies etc, in a house fire years ago.

• Like Like x 1
                  • DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    Would be fun to meet up sometime. Hope is to have my car road trip worth before this summer, and if so, who knows the trouble I could get in. :)

Who did you hang with in Post Falls? Only name I can think of that direction is Mark T, but don't remember if he is in Post Falls or CD'A.

Do you ever remember an orange 340 Duster with strobe stripes and an Air Grabber hood and "Cargasm" for a license plate? That was my brother's. I got into Mopars because of him and that Duster. Went to shows with him when I was in H.S. and until the end of '87 when I joined the Navy. Should have been some overlap between us at some point.

Never made it to the "Finals" but I sure remember when they were going on.

If you aren't aware, the city took possession of SRP several years ago and (I think) put the owner in jail for tax evasion or something. Now it is Spokane County Raceway and has gone through several managers. I try and go once in a while, actually ran my Duster at the Friday Night Drags last year.

Here is a current picture before our local club show. No stripes, but some interesting similarities to yours.

IMAG0593.jpg

And a dirty motor shot:

Duster 021.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                    • Dartnut

Local Time:
                      Thanks for posting the pics, DionR, very nice looking car you have there.
                      The engine compartment is almost a mirror image of mine.
                      Maybe p.m. me with your contact info and we can B.S. on the phone sometime.

The guys i used to hang out in Post Falls had the last name of Hansen, and they were identical twin brothers.
                      Both even had '70 Super Bees and both were 383 4 speed cars.
                      One was Yellow, and one was Brown.
                      I can't say that i remember your brother's car, but i do remember a few that raced there every weekend.
                      One of the cars was a silver '69 Road Runner with ''Sugar Bear'' on the side of it and a chubby guy raced it all of the time.
                      Another was an old '30s coupe that was a orangy red that had ''Bach Bros.'' on the side of it.
                      The top was severely chopped on it, and it was fast.

As for the owner at the time, his name was Orville something and he was a sheister then.
                      Sounds like he would be the kind of guy that would be into tax evasion............

My brother still goes there a couple of times a year, i haven't been to Spokane for almost 15 years, but i would like to go again some time in the future.
                      So, what did your car run?
                      I'm thinking my Dart Sport would run about a low 15 second pass and that's about it.
                      I would be surprised if it even ran high 14s. It's pretty mild.

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                      Don’t remember the brothers.

Sugar Bear passed away several years ago. Can’t say I remember the coupe.

To be clear, my brother has always been more of a show trophy guy, so we didn’t go tot the track often. His car felt fast, but I couldn’t even tell you if it actually ever ran. I remember going to the track once and finding that it was pumping ATF out of the case so fast we had to stop and refill it to get it home, so we didn’t run that day.

What does your brother drive?

My Duster ran high 14’s, I think. Drawing a blank, have to go look for the time slips. That was with a 2.71 rear gear and an OD 4 speed that didn’t like to shift at higher rpms. And the motor is really more a truck motor than a muscle car motor. Original block with rebuilder (low compression) pistons, Magnum R/T heads, an OEM roller cam out of a 2000 Ram, and the MP dual plane Magnum intake. So, similar to the MP 300 HP crate motor, with less compression.

• DionR

DionR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                      Found the time slips by accident this weekend. Best run of the night was 14.844 @ 90.80. Not the best. The 2.71 rear gear really hurt me with the OD trans as I wasn't really getting into 3rd (1:1) until just before the line, and the syncro's are so worn it wouldn't shift at times. It was still fun though.

• Like Like x 2
                      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.