I'm thinking I put too small a cam in my 360 Magnum...

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought the cam from a guy who had worked for Crane in Miami.
The only specs I got were:
274/498 intake. 286/512
113 lsa, I bought it because of the Added duration for the 150 shot of Nitrous

He said it was an Old Crane Fireball grind.

Car is set up to cross the line at 6500

70Dart 3050 lbs, 3330 with my fat ***

Tires 25.2 diameter 23560R14

3.91 8 3/4

Doug's D452 1 5/8 headers

750 vac sec Holly, 50cc squirter

Chinese Air Gap

Stock block crank, rods, heads pistons (1110 Hughes spring kit)

3500 converter/reverse valve body

I calculated with the 150 shot I would be at 360 on the motor for a total
Of 510 hp. / 11:80-12:00 @110 mph

I'm concerned that the cam won't be sufficient when I put the MODMAN Indy Intake for Magnums on with the 2 Carter Competition Series 500's on
My back won't allow me to bend over much so I'll have to pay for camm installation, I have to get it right the first time !

????

It will be fine .
Get the car to hook, or 200 h/p will be too much .

Youll often find that once you build the perfect car in " theory", they're WILL be changes .
I have often built an idea/concept, that when completed and tested, that "reality" forced some changes of those "theories" . (Development) lol

I often find myself saying, - " if I could do that again, - I'd yada-yada"
Good luck .

Last edited:
Isn't the engine in the car ready to run? Run it first and see how you like it. And goodluck getting a 235/60/14 to hook behind 500hp.

With the goals in mind, it’s not going to be an issue if you’re spraying it. Traction is going to probably be the limiting factor, so if the cam bleeds off some dynamic cylinder pressure, it will probably help more than hurt. It’s plenty of cam for the application. What’s the installed ICL? I’m guessing 216/222 @ .050 going by crane’s typical lobe profile.

Have you run the effin thing yet?
No, I won't until I've got it just the way I want it, because of I don't , I will always say " damn I should have done that when the car was apart"
Also, I've been messing with cars for 50 yrs, not interested in working on the except for bolt on parts, EVERYTHING ON THE Car has been addressed, either new or remanufactured down to the Teflon bushings on the wiper linkage.all parts are either new or remained. This is my daily driver,, it will be passed to my son

With the goals in mind, it’s not going to be an issue if you’re spraying it. Traction is going to probably be the limiting factor, so if the cam bleeds off some dynamic cylinder pressure, it will probably help more than hurt. It’s plenty of cam for the application. What’s the installed ICL? I’m guessing 216/222 @ .050 going by crane’s typical lobe profile.
Don't know

If you're gonna have to take 3 fat friend everywhere you go, just to be able to hook, - you need to be thinking about other things than cam .

Have you ever driven a +400 h/p rear wheel drive car, just curious ?

If you're gonna have to take 3 fat friend everywhere you go, just to be able to hook, - you need to be thinking about other things than cam .

Yes, warmed over 440 in a 70 Duster

There's alot going on here....
stock cast pistons, what ring gap? Assuming no anti balloon plate on the converter? Going to put 1000 cfm worth of carbs on a stock 360 cid engine? And ya, asking alot of a 7 inch slick if you're going to just hit it off the line.

There's alot going on here....
stock cast pistons, what ring gap? Assuming no anti balloon plate on the converter? Going to put 1000 cfm worth of carbs on a stock 360 cid engine? And ya, asking alot of a 7 inch slick if you're going to just hit it off the line.
Yes balloon converter , as I understand it, the engine will only use what needs with large CFM, to a point, the dual quad 383/343 dual set up were 500 CFM, I'm only 23 cid off the 383 cid, that, plus I have better intake, heads and headers

Ring gap, I've run 150 shot plenty of time no problems, it's in the tuning, many are not willing to do it

340 six pack 1350 cfm not possible to use all of it (yes, under extreme circumstances, possibly)

Last edited:
Yes balloon converter , as I understand it, the engine will only use what needs with large CFM, to a point, the dual quad 383/343 dual set up were 500 CFM, I'm only 23 cid off the 383 cid, that, plus I have better heads and headers

340 six pack 1350 cfm not possible to use all of it (yes, under extreme circumstances, possibly)
I wish you luck my friend. I can't say I would purposefully build a nitrous combo with stock cast pistons. And if they weren't specifically gapped for nitrous, you could easily butt the rings and pop the top right off of them with 200. Be really careful with your timing, and read plugs every hit

I wish you luck my friend. I can't say I would purposefully build a nitrous combo with stock cast pistons. And if they weren't specifically gapped for nitrous, you could easily butt the rings and pop the top right off of them with 200. Be really careful with your timing, and read plugs every hit
Magnum hypereutectic pistons
Thanks

1708106069666.png

-
Back