Improper balljoint install?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I swapped over to disc brakes(from a 73 Swinger)on my 66 Dart lastyear and have only driven the car maybe 600 miles.Today while doing my fenderwell headers,I noticed that the ball joint looks like it has sunk into the UCA?When I did the swap,I replaced the lower balljoint to the bigger 73 one and just swapped uppers cause it had the big balljoint already.I,ve never done upper Bjoints on a Mopar,so is this pressed in or screwed in?I can see some threads.Checkout the pic..any advise will be appreaciated.Thanks.

P.S I also swapped the 6 cyl. for a 360,this was not like this lastyear.
car pics 66 Dart 148.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 148.jpg

They screw in with their own special socket. Looks like yours are trashed pretty good. You are going to need the socket (Mopar large ball joint socket) and a 1/2" drive impact gun to change them. They can be a real bear and penetrating oil doesn't always help.

Yeah they can be a real bastard. I had to use a BIG pipe wrench to get the old ones out! NOT FUN!

screw in, and you can just use the old thread.

if it's coming out, no need for anything other than a hammer cause it sounds like the arm is already trashed.

screw in, and you can just use the old thread.

if it's coming out, no need for anything other than a hammer cause it sounds like the arm is already trashed.

Unfortunately, I was thinking along the same line. Never seen one, unscrew itself out, the thread are likely trashed in the control arm, maybe the prior balljoint change got pressed in the threads. It's a common mistake.
Screw it out to make sure, if the threads are decent, re-install with locktite.

Good luck,
Giles

It pays to clean the underside before removing the old balljoint. Backing all that crud through the arm can ruin the threads. Leaves nothing to screw a new joint into. Weld them good and forget it for the life of the ball joint.

-
Back