In Car Drag Racing with Lenco Transmission

-
Reaction score
This is an in-car shot of Mike drag racing his 73 Duster using a Lenco transmission. His dial in time is 10.60 and his ET for this race was a 10.61.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx54zjDU4s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx54zjDU4s[/ame]

Wow... I haven't figured out the gear selection yet and Ive watched it twice. lol

THIS IS COOL.... just plugged it into the 46" TV and through surround 5.1..........wife just yelled at me......it was worth it!!!!

thats so awesome i was going to put one in my dart but money got tight so that fell thru.

Hey Fellas, thanks for the great comments. This is a stroked 416 running about 575 hp. Avg about 125 mph in the quarter mile. The best times are in the low 10.40's.

I love it, what clutch are you using, I have a 71 Valiant with 416 and the 833 trans pro shifted but sure don't shift like that. Did you run this car with a different trans in it and if so how much did you pick up switching to this one.

The Lenco is a clutchless transmission. Really only use the clutch on the first gear just to engage it. Simply pull levers when the desired rpms are reached in each gear. The gears can be set up in any direction, left to right or right to left. The lenco has definately taken off at least a second in the quarter mile. And it seems like it increases the level of fun by a 100%. Is your tranny the liberty?

The Lenco is a clutchless transmission. Really only use the clutch on the first gear just to engage it. Simply pull levers when the desired rpms are reached in each gear. The gears can be set up in any direction, left to right or right to left. The lenco has definately taken off at least a second in the quarter mile. And it seems like it increases the level of fun by a 100%. Is your tranny the liberty?
Yes it is Liberty, its a 833,all aluminum, 23 spline, but I can not slam sec gear. Even though I have what some have said is granny shifting, ( clutching and backing out of it) I ran a 9.99 @ 133 mph and my clutch was slipping slightly. my 416 is putting out a pile of power. that's on engine only and still have the Nos yet but have no need for it yet.

Scamp, why can't you slam into second? What happens if you did? does it slip in any other gear? and last question is how many passes does that 833 have on it?

Scamp, why can't you slam into second? What happens if you did? does it slip in any other gear? and last question is how many passes does that 833 have on it?
This trany has been in the car for 5 years now and driven on the street a fare amount, it maybe has 50 passes on it. I shift @ 7500 rpm and the sec gear pro shift gears just can not take it it just grinds, third gear is super pro ( face plated ) but I have just stuck to what I no works, nothing worse than grinding gears at the track. I get very little test and tune time at the track I just don't like waisting passes, this year I got in 9 passes total. My clutch from Advanced clutches was not working write after examining it I found that one of the levers are shorter than the other two, I have sent it back for repairs. the car cam out soft and slipped in 3,4th gear. here is one vid of my first pass on an 1/8 mile at an air port with this 416 eng and clutch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDowLilWOw&feature=player_embedded"]Steve Barton in his Valiant Scamp - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't notice any major problems in that 1/8 mile video...good power. At any rate the beatings usually go to 2nd gear so its easier to understand the grinding that's goin on. What weight gear oil are u using? U can sometimes hide the grinding by using a lighter weight. This allows that clutch disc to be more free so it can keep up with that gear till it can synchronize. Quick revving ur motor when the clutch is engaged does the same thing. I dunno maybe u already know this stuff. 50 passes are not a lot unless that 2nd gear has really been beat to hell. U may have to just open it up and see what's goin on in there. Consistently grinding into gears will end up being a bigger problem down the road though....good choice to get it figured out before u start making a lot of passes.

-
Back