In need of quarter panel motivation lol, any help?

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
ok guys, been plugging away at the duster.

finished up replacing my tail panel last week.

now I need to cut out both lower rear quarters and weld in my new patch panels.

and while I am in there I have to rebuild both trunk floor extensions.

now, I know how to do it....and I am confident I can do it......I just keep walking out to the garage and find myself just staring at it thinking how I would rather be in the final stages of body work and im psyching myself out of doing the work LOL.

not to mention doing it all on my own without an extra set of hands can prove to be a challenge at times.

I am going to need to utilize just about every inch of the quarter panel patches due to rust in the lower portion,and dents and shotty previous body work from who knows how long ago.

anyhow...I guess what I am looking for is to see if any of you guys have pictures/info of when you did lower quarter panel patch installs on your ride so I can get motivated and get the itch to just go out there and get a bunch of progress knocked out.

the more pictures the better! ,lets see what your panels started as,where you cut,welding new in,body filler stage and all painted and done!

thanks

I need some motivation myself !!! Scared of what else I'm gonna get into !!!

Attachments

• DSCF0948.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF0947.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 215
ouch, looks like your in for a bit of work lol.

come on folks ....anyone have any "motivation" for us :worthles:

Here you go
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF9PAxe5Ng"]YouTube - ‪Metallica - Fuel (Video)‬‏[/ame]

Or this
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX9yx1InTOc"]YouTube - ‪Chevrolet Corvette Drag Racing Crash‬‏[/ame]
Only thing I can say is, I really think the car just wanted to be a helicopter

You'll be saying this if you don't get the panels done by the time summer roles around
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6A57Rli_I4"]YouTube - ‪creditcard to scorpian worst ever must watch carlsbad gap‬‏[/ame]

Patch panels suck, these were all hand formed though
View attachment 100_0076.jpg

View attachment 100_0079.jpg

Welding near body lines sucks
View attachment 100_0323.jpg

View attachment 100_0327.jpg

This was the hood off my old dodge pickup, now its most of my quarter panel and some of the floor.
View attachment 100_0330.jpg

Rusty trunk floor extention, yes those are bullet holes
View attachment 100_0310.jpg

Almost fixed
View attachment 100_0314.jpg

Sanding filler sucks
View attachment 100_0429.jpg

I'm not a bodyman and I'm a terrible painter but for a daily driver it came out good enough for me. There are a total of 10 patches in this quarter panel. It's much less work in the long run to replace the entire panel.
View attachment 100_0522.jpg

It sucks. Cut out the old, leave the new bigger, screw it on, then cut throug both (go to b body 69 charger rust bucket, pics there of how we did it). Leave at least a 1/8 gap, as the weld contracts when cooling down. That is the most important thing to remember. We learned the hard way.

It sucks. Cut out the old, leave the new bigger, screw it on, then cut throug both (go to b body 69 charger rust bucket, pics there of how we did it). Leave at least a 1/8 gap, as the weld contracts when cooling down. That is the most important thing to remember. We learned the hard way.

Good info never thought about doing it this way? what do yall use on the bottom lips to release it from the inside peices?

you are brave to take on such a patch job but man did it ever come out looking pretty dang good!

motivation indeed!

and I normally use about a 16th of an inch for my gab (thickness of a cut off wheel).

and to answer the question ( I think what you mean is the spot welds around the wheel well?) if so....you can use a spot weld cutter,a drill bit....all I did on mine was take my grinder and grind the spot weld down and the quarter skin popped right off around the wheel well.

-
Back