Industrail hemi

-

silverfox

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for bothering but I found a industrial hemi the guy says it runs and it does turn over. He wants 1500. He says its a 1959. Not having much to do with hemi's would this be a good deal. And whats different between the industrial and automotive. Thanks

It really depends on which hemi it is. 1958 was the last year for passenger car early hemis. The rank of desirability in early hemis seems to go like this:
1. 392 Chrysler
2. 354 Chrysler
3. 325 Dodge
4. 315 Dodge
5. 331 Chrysler
6. 345 DeSoto
7. 341 DeSoto
8. 330 DeSoto
9. The rest of the small displacement (under 300ci)

I sold my old 325 for $1,750 in 2006 with an Offy dual four intake and rebuilt industrial heads (hardened seats). The short block appeared to have never been apart since 1958 (original poly headed motor). In today's market I don't think I'd pay $1,500 or more for anything except a 392 or 354.

if i recall some of the industrial hemis had the bell housing cast right on the block.
go get yourself a b or rb motor before you do something foolish like purchase the damn old hemi.
i'm sure that since they are cast from the small block platform they are in essence a small block.

Only the first few years of the 331 had the bell cast with the block, industrial or pass car.

The industrial ones have different heads on them. I have a 1958 Dodge 354 that I know car heads/intakes off a 331-354 will bolt on. There are parts available for these old girls, but part interchangability leaves a bit to be desired. Most parts do not interchange among different manufacturers - Dodge won't interchange with Chrysler, Chrysler won't interchange with DeSoto, etc. Hot Heads makes a lot of stuff for them - water pumps are close to a B/RB motor but the bolt pattern is different. There are housings available that adapt a BB Chevy water pump to them.

Depends what you want to do with it. I hope to get mine in a street rod some day!

if i remember right the industrial hemis were lower compression lower power engines with some parts upgraded for strength and longevity used in heavy trucks . they were meant to last a long time with few repairs but were by no means the fastest things on the road

They all had forged cranks in them......The industrial heads didn't have the front water openings on them, although I think they can be machined for this.

Do a google search - there's lots of info out there on them! Make a great conversation piece - I have a 1953 Dodge 241 also. They weigh about the same as a B/RB motor and are just about as expensive to rebuild. The 392's are the most desirable. A good block off one of those is worth a grand - rebuildable motors fetch up to two grand!

Hum. What to do. I don't really need it. I just like the way they look. Maybe I'll get the numbers off it and go from there. I could do a lot of other stuff to my car for 1500 bucks. And keep the 440 in it. Thanks for the input guys

This is an Industrial Hemi that a friend of mine put in his Scoot. It pulls hard and is very reliable.

joe8.jpg

joe9.jpg

joe10.jpg

joe11.jpg

It seems odd that the hemi I was lookin at says industrial on the valve covers but they are chrome .?

I had a hemi out of a boat, it seemed very heavy compared to other engines. I think it was a 331 but not sure. it came with a 24 volt magneto distributor and shielded sparkplug wires that screwed in on both sides. The valve covers said Chrysler marine. it had a huge flywheel on it with a u joint bolted to the center of it. I was frozen because two of the cylinders were left open and rain got to it, but the other cylinders still had the cross hatch marks and no lip. I paid $200 for it in the 80s and gave it to a friend in the 90's, he probably still has it.

Somebody may have plated the original painted valve covers. The pieces for these are worth some $$$$.

I just purchased an industrail hemi and the guy I bought it from said it was a 331 but when I got it home it has 56 with some other numbers stamped on the rear ID tag. Could I assume this is possibly a 354 being from 1956 when 1955 was the last year of 331 or is not as simple as that

The ID numbers are online...............post the numbers you have and we can help you figure it out!

-
Back