Indy 360-1 Cylinder Heads

-

360tripleblack7

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm thinking in buy a Indy 360-1 K1 upper end kit from Hughes Engines.:finga:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...nVt&searchmode=partnumber&page=2&partid=23690

This heads have a rectangular port design... So my concern is about if I can keep my current TTI exhaust 1 5/8 step 1 3/4 with stock port design and if will works good with these heads...

Bolt pattern is ok, but looking for the Headers and heads I can see some differences in the port design... This is my concern!

I'm using this TTI:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...aGF1c3Q=&level2=NjctNzYgQS1Cb2R5&partid=23830

Thanks...

Check TTI's site for header Fitment issues.
If it is the actual port exit shape and size your worries about, then ask tti if they have header flanges for the Indy head and if they sell them.

The TTI W-2 header would be a better port match or any W-2 header for that matter. But the regular headers should work.

The W2's are round IiRC.
The Indy's are rectangle.
Perhaps a header flange from Shoefeild (SP?) and reuse the old TTI's for a cut, fit and weld?

Hello Guys,

I'm thinking in buy a Indy 360-1 K1 upper end kit from Hughes Engines.:finga:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...nVt&searchmode=partnumber&page=2&partid=23690

This heads have a rectangular port design... So my concern is about if I can keep my current TTI exhaust 1 5/8 step 1 3/4 with stock port design and if will works good with these heads...

Bolt pattern is ok, but looking for the Headers and heads I can see some differences in the port design... This is my concern!

I'm using this TTI:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...aGF1c3Q=&level2=NjctNzYgQS1Cb2R5&partid=23830

Thanks...

Those heads ootb only flow 260's cfm! They will need port work to run hard. Be very careful who you buy heads from and make sure you ask a lot of questions...when I sell the Indy -1 or -2 head I usually use their cnc intake port (230 or 245) and hand port the exhaust port and chamber...makes great power and I stay away from water!
I also use the Victor intake a lot to keep it under a flat hood.
Brian

The W2's are round IiRC.
The Indy's are rectangle.
Perhaps a header flange from Shoefeild (SP?) and reuse the old TTI's for a cut, fit and weld?

Possibly Schofield??? Speedway Motors, best vendor I know of.....

I have talked to Schoenfeld
they don't make a header flange for the Small block indy.
The w-2 is the closest
http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/mflanges.htm

Also talked to Russ at Indy- custom header
asked about the 360-1 vs 360-2 if they were cast from the same type mold (only a port difference) and could the square be opened up to the W-2
Never got an answer> Guess, I'll be doing some sonic mapping/ testing this winter

center ports are problem area.

I'm going to make a new flange for the center, and move the center pipes closer, on the w-2 headers I have

If I could start over, I would try a W-9 or a W-9 (lite) flange

023-1.jpg

022.jpg

024-1.jpg

I wonder if one of our resident engine builders/racers have a picture of the Indy heads opened up with measurements?

Thank you Guys to help me in this question

Specially Gayle and Howard for the pictures posted showing the differences...

I think that I'll go to Eddy. Like a said before in another post the best choice for me was the Airwolf 220 (cost vs benefits) But I can't contact to Bryce Mulvey from Dr. J's.

I wonder if one of our resident engine builders/racers have a picture of the Indy heads opened up with measurements?

What do you mean opened up? I have a ton of pics on our facebook page.
The 230cc port has min. 2.35sq. in. at pinch and 2.55sq. in. over S/T.
The 245cc port has min. 2.5sq. in. at pinch and 2.75sq. in. over the S/T.

When I rework the intake ports a bit, with our valve job and chamber, the 230 port will max flow about 330cfm at .700 lift and stays there, doesn't back up just levels off.
The 245 runner with same work, will go 355'ish cfm and levels off after .700 lift.
There is no more room in the casting to get a better port.
Brian

Like a said before in another post the best choice for me was the Airwolf 220 (cost vs benefits) But I can't contact to Bryce Mulvey from Dr. J's.

Have you tried his facebook page.?

I don't know why Bryce is so hard to get a hold of... Took me a LONG time to get these heads..the Air Wolf is a full 1 3/4" port
I went with 1 7/8 header stepped to a 2"

033.jpg

003-2.jpg

003.jpg

If you do go Indy DONT buy them From INDY!!! those guys are a bunch of JERKS!
once they get your money they wont answer questions or help you one bit. I know first hand.

Some 245cnc Indy's that are now on David Dean's engine...

Attachments

• 095.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,425
  • 096.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 097.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,427
Thanks Brian. Opened up = ported, gasket matched, etc...

As you know, but people new to the world of MoPars & or performance upgrading do not know is that when some head manufactures, stock or aftermarket, produce heads, the ports, intake and/or exhaust, can have different port window sizes.

Flow rates, port sizes, as published by the seller of the head can always be improved. This improvement may sometimes contain a opening up of the port window. And that is what I wondered.

Never having the Indy heads in hand, I wondered.

I also just want to take a second here to personally thank you and everyone else that has shared this info on this thread. It is huge for everyone here looking to up the anti on there engine.

I need a set of IMM ported indy heads on my 440'' small block. the only thing stopping me is as always $$$$.

maybe next season I can take the plunge and get a set from Brian.

Thanks Brian. Opened up = ported, gasket matched, etc...

As you know, but people new to the world of MoPars & or performance upgrading do not know is that when some head manufactures, stock or aftermarket, produce heads, the ports, intake and/or exhaust, can have different port window sizes.

Flow rates, port sizes, as published by the seller of the head can always be improved. This improvement may sometimes contain a opening up of the port window. And that is what I wondered.

Never having the Indy heads in hand, I wondered.

I also just want to take a second here to personally thank you and everyone else that has shared this info on this thread. It is huge for everyone here looking to up the anti on there engine.

No problem! After all, these forums were originally created to share info and ideas...

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,730
  • 011.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,350
Mr. Hafliger,tasty ports. That first shot ,of the exhaust port short side,is interesting. Nice to see a real valve job....

Have you tried his facebook page.?

I don't know why Bryce is so hard to get a hold of... Took me a LONG time to get these heads..the Air Wolf is a full 1 3/4" port
I went with 1 7/8 header stepped to a 2"

Yes Sir!

I tried all ways to find this guy. Facebook, E-mail, Phone, His Contact page, Smoke Signal...:banghead:

Do you know another company that selling his cylinder heads?

Thanks...

Those heads ootb only flow 260's cfm! They will need port work to run hard. Be very careful who you buy heads from and make sure you ask a lot of questions...when I sell the Indy -1 or -2 head I usually use their cnc intake port (230 or 245) and hand port the exhaust port and chamber...makes great power and I stay away from water!
I also use the Victor intake a lot to keep it under a flat hood.
Brian

What do you mean opened up? I have a ton of pics on our facebook page.
The 230cc port has min. 2.35sq. in. at pinch and 2.55sq. in. over S/T.
The 245cc port has min. 2.5sq. in. at pinch and 2.75sq. in. over the S/T.

When I rework the intake ports a bit, with our valve job and chamber, the 230 port will max flow about 330cfm at .700 lift and stays there, doesn't back up just levels off.
The 245 runner with same work, will go 355'ish cfm and levels off after .700 lift.
There is no more room in the casting to get a better port.
Brian

Some 245cnc Indy's that are now on David Dean's engine...

No problem! After all, these forums were originally created to share info and ideas...

Paypal of course! How you been Louis??

Yes Sir!

I tried all ways to find this guy. Facebook, E-mail, Phone, His Contact page, Smoke Signal...:banghead:

Do you know another company that selling his cylinder heads?

Thanks...

I thing its time to give up on someone not being helpful.

you said you were considering going to EDDYS. Brian can sure help you out there!!!!!!

He will answer you question here, email him at his business.
http://www.immengines.com/indyimmironheads.html
or just call him on the phone.
He has for me personally, and many many on this forum.

Grate guy, and can build, what you need.

that's the best advise from Cudafever. why waste all that time getting no response with dr.j's when Brian at IMM is a call away and will answer the phone. I have emailed Brian a few the past couple of years about his ported 360-1's and he always got back to me within a few hours.

-
Back