Indy head questions

-

DDS74

Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger and got a set of Indy heads and I am now starting to put the engine together, and I have a few questions. #1 when installing the valley plate do you guys put any rtv or the like along the head/intake edges of the plate, where it gets captured by the heads? #2 do you have to run longer head bolts with the Indy's vs stock heads? #3 How big of a bore head gasket can I get away with on my little 383, the closest size I can find is 4.380 which is quite a bit larger then my 4.28 bore. And lastly is there a different torque spec for the heads since they are aluminium?

Put a thin film of black rtv on the block where the valley plate bolts to the block. Bolt the plate down and when you are ready to put the heads on put a 1/4" think bead of rtv on the valley plate where it will meet the head. After the heads are bolted on then smooth out the silicone and make sure it's spread out even. Indy heads do have a different head bolt set. There are 2 longer bolts or studs that go in the center row.

Use Cometic head gaskets and order up the bore size and thickness that you need. Cometic gaskets cost a lot more, but they are the best choice when using aluminum heads.

I would like to use them but I don't think that they make 4.28 bore mopar head gasket, they make a 4.25 and the next size I find is 4.375.

And just two of the head bolts are longer? So I should just be able to order just those, that'd be nice because it's all ARP hardware up top already and that stuff is not cheap. Thanks!

#1 - I use Ultra Grey
#2 - Yes - just get the ARP bolt kit for them.
#3 - Cometic will make whatever you tell them to. If you're looking for a shelf number, you are right - there's nothing available close to the 383's bore size.

Use Cometic head gaskets and order up the bore size and thickness that you need. Cometic gaskets cost a lot more, but they are the best choice when using aluminum heads.

100% agree, and they will MAKE them anyway you want with the correct bore size and all. Generally you want a gasket bore about .030" larger than cylinder bore.

On a side note did any of you guys have to remove your heater to help with clearance of the valve cover?

Sounds like you are starting to understand what "hot rodding" is all about!

I believe some guys have made the heater work by running a smaller/different blower motor.

If you search you will find a mod you can do to the blower motor that sucks the blower motor/wheel into heater box.
I did this and have no clearance issues with my 440-1 valve covers. I'll see if I can find it and repost it.

-
Back