Inland shifter ???

-

TJP

Reaction score
that is the "stick in a bucket of cooked Quaker Oatmeal" shifter. I am hoping for input that will be a substantial improvement. might be asking too much LOL
wink

So a couple of questions as I understand they are not much fun to rebuild.
1. How much improvement can one expect to see from a likely never rebuilt unit? (IT'S SLOPPY)
2. I believe I read somewhere about using a Hurst shifter mechanism & linkage with the Inland stick for stock appearance. Brewers offers a kit, BUT see # 4 below
3. I see Brewers has the inland mechanism rebuilt and in stock. From what I have read the most difficult part is rethreading the reverse lockout cable up through the shifter and attaching to both ends. any input ??
4.They also offer a Hurst inland conversion which is out of stock. It looks more like a make believe factory hurst mechanism without the stops and uses the inland rods which sounds a bit cheesy
shruggy

5. Ideally, I'd like to replace the shifter mechanism and rods but retain the stick for appearance.
Which of the above will give the most improvement ?

Any other options/sources?

Any input on the above is much appreciated
TIA
beer

About 20 yrs ago the cables for those shifters weren’t available. I found that a common bicycle brake cable can be adapted to work. Aluminum bar stock of the right diameter and drill it to accept the cable. Return spring was available through the local hardware store. Save a few bucks.

As for rebuilding, those shifters were never well received even when new. They were available one or two years and ma Chrysler went back to Hurst. So unless you are going for the nuts and bolts perfect restoration those aren’t worth the effort. Go to a hurst shifter. Brewers sells the console shift handle if yours is a console otherwise a non console can also be found. The inland rods will work with the hurst shifter. (I drove mine with inland shifter and hurst rods for years)

I don't know why anyone would chose an Inland shifter if a Hurst was available. If you must have an Inland, then you will have to accept the slop.

:thankyou:for your input and replies. Much appreciated. I hope visit here more often when I get the time. I have owned More 340 Darts than I can remember mostly 4 spds and Swingers :thumbsup:. The one that got away is pictured. Sold about 1981 In San Jose Ca. last seen there about 1983 or 4. love to find it or one in the same color. Thanks again :)

Tim - Dart002-Edit-2 (Medium) (Large).jpg

This car is pretty much original and the current owner ( a friend) bought it from the original owner about 15 years ago. It's not a survivor as it's been restored years ago and the resto is starting to show it's age. Current owner is trying to keep it as close to original as possible without going over the edge. And the shifter is well a piece of :rolleyes: Thanks for all the replies

This car is pretty much original and the current owner ( a friend) bought it from the original owner about 15 years ago. It's not a survivor as it's been restored years ago and the resto is starting to show it's age. Current owner is trying to keep it as close to original as possible without going over the edge ;)
Brewers is hard to beat INHO

-
Back