Inline Power Steering Pressure Regulator

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I have a federal pump on my duster, and I'd like to lower the power steering pressure. I was wondering if any of you have used an inline pressure regulator? How well did it work? How did you plumb in your pressure hose?

Thanks!

You could do a poor man's pressure reducer by plumbing in a bypass line with a restrictor in it, 80% goes to gear 20% gets returned to pump.

Only thing I can think of about a pressure regulator is it might cause the pump to produce max pressure against the regulator all the time.

As is the only time there is significant pressure in the lines is if you are turning.

It has been a long time since I had hydrolics in school but that's how I remember it.

I have actually found a few pressure regulators online. Essentially it does the same thing as the “pump it down” mod

What about putting a restriction in the pressure feed line? The pump already has an internal bypass. The point of the pump it down mod is to decrease the pressure on the pump output side while simultaneously increasing the amount of pressure bypassing back to the inlet side of the bump. Not sure if restricting the flow in the line would do the same thing.

Turn One makes these for Saginaw pumps, they reduce the pressure by use of a smaller orifice. They sell different flow restrictors in different sizes to control how many GPM the pump can produce. You maybe able to solder or weld the hole in your fitting then drill it to a smaller size to restrict the flow in the Federal pump.

https://turnonesteering.com/product/gm-p-pump-or-n-pump-flow-restrictor/
301-060-500x333.jpg

Last edited:
I just recieved that turnone piece and am looking forward to trying it. I believe he said something about using a different style hose.

Yeah I have the saginaw one.......not sure if it fits anything else. 72 /6 duster over here.

I have actually found a few pressure regulators online. Essentially it does the same thing as the “pump it down” mod

Why not just do the pump it down mod?

I can't find any good instructions on how to do it on the federal pump. That would definitely be the best method if possible

I would just take the damn thing apart and see how similar the relief valve is. It can't be too different. Worst case would be put it back like it was. At least then you'd KNOW. Probably 20 minutes worth of work.

I can't find any good instructions on how to do it on the federal pump. That would definitely be the best method if possible

See if this might help. It's all I could find. The pressure regulator valve looks similar to the saginaw.

FEDERAL DIAGRAM.JPG

I appreciate that! Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. Maybe find one for the Saginaw pump and blow them up side by side and see if you can tell if the Saginaw kit might can be used in the Federal. I'm sure there's a way.

One of my turbo FWD Mopars had a factory one that wasn't hooked up. It supposedly reduced pressure above a certain speed.

-
Back