Inner Axle Housing Seal

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen on the forum off and on that with green bearings the inner seal is not needed. Seen different opinions on the subject, any ideas?

i don't have inner seals in my rear end have no leaking problems the bearing is sealed also has o ring on outside of bearing

I've seen where people leave them off with either green bearings or the stock axle bearings. I like to retain them with either. Can't hurt.

Isn't the purpose of the inner seal to pack bearing grease in for the tapered bearing? Basically separating gear oil from the grease.

Isn't the purpose of the inner seal to pack bearing grease in for the tapered bearing? Basically separating gear oil from the grease.
The green bearings are permanently lubricated, so they certainly don't need gear oil. Run it like you want. I know how I will run mine.

Green bearing do not require the inner seal. OEM type taper bearing require the inner seal. The oem bearing gets "packed" with bearing grease, like front wheel bearings. If the inner seal is not used, the gear oil will get into the taper bearing and dilute the grease.

I have inner seals with green bearings. Don’t think it matters either way. If you install seals put some grease on the outside of it where it meets the top of the bearing. Green bearings have an O ring which like all O ring seals needs a thin film of lube to keep from drying out.

This is probably an unusual circumstance but after my Duster sat for a while I had the RR brake cylinder leak. Fluid made it’s way into the axle tube and puddled at the bottom of the bearing. No harm to the bearing but I guess it was OK to have the seal since it prevented the brake fluid from going any further in.

Whatever though, probably fine either way.

Are not the Green bearings weaker on side load and not as desirable as
stock bearings for a street driver?
That is what I heard years ago.
I run them on the race cars and never had an incident and no seal.

Are not the Green bearings weaker on side load and not as desirable as
stock bearings for a street driver?
That is what I heard years ago.
I run them on the race cars and never had an incident and no seal.
Technically, yes, but I think it is a mote point. There are many rear axles that use a "ball" bearing as OEM. Just as there are many rears that use a flat roller bearing that rides on the raw axle shaft, and has no resistance to side loading (uses the bearings on the carrier)

We've been down this rabbit hole before. Think how many MILLIONS of vehicles use green type bearings. Purt near ALL front wheel drive cars do and a LOT of rear wheel drive vehicles, too. But let's keep this on track, because the OP wanted to know about the inner seals.

We've been down this rabbit hole before. Think how many MILLIONS of vehicles use green type bearings. Purt near ALL front wheel drive cars do and a LOT of rear wheel drive vehicles, too. But let's keep this on track, because the OP wanted to know about the inner seals.
Agreed. With green bearings, in my opinion, can't hurt to use the inner seal, but not required.

-
Back