Installed mini starter...very pleased

-

JohnnyB

Reaction score
So, I ordered a new AC Delco starter for a '95 Ram 1500 for $75 on Amazon and it showed up today so I threw it on. It bolted right up and the only difference is that the lugs are closer to the block but there's still plenty of clearance for the cables.

When I jumped back in and turned the key I was kinda shocked. It spins the old low compression slanty over really fast. I also have a gm hei installed so it always starts very quickly but turning the key now is like an instant on switch. I would have done it sooner but my 20 year old reman'd gear reduction starter still works fine. I guess that one's going on the shelf as a spare now.

I remember when I did this and I was shocked, it was a great upgrade on my /6 6 years ago, I drove it for 30.000 miles :color: I have pulled the /6 out but still have mine and will be putting it on my 360 when I drop it in, It was one of my first upgrades along with electronic ignition :glasses7:

Great. It wasn't too many years ago that people didn't know of the mini-starter option (Magnum engines) and used original starters were commanding high prices.

Another thumbs-up for the mini starter upgrade. Turns that engine over so damn quickly - it still catches me by surprise after being so used to having to hold the key in the 'start' position for a few seconds with the old one.

Easy access/installation and the damn thing weighs a fraction of the old one. Plentiful in the wrecking yards near me and cost less than $25.

Agreed they are great I have a mini starter on all my mopars and my 65 dart will sit for months I'll go out there and the mini starter cranks fast and gets that tired 273 crank over pretty quickly. Dustin

It bolted right up and the only difference is that the lugs are closer to the block but there's still plenty of clearance for the cables.

You can unbolt the black plastic lug extension if you need more space to maneuver. You have to remove it if you put one in a big block. Keep.it on for a small block. Yep, easy improvement and works great.

But don't you lose the Highland Park hummingbird? For me, that's a significant part of owning a Mopar. You could always tell a Mopar from anything else being cranked.

This should be the 3rd thing you do to any old Mopar behind a disk brake upgrade and electronic ignition.....works great.

But don't you lose the Highland Park hummingbird? For me, that's a significant part of owning a Mopar. You could always tell a Mopar from anything else being cranked.

Yes, you lose that sound, but man, you get over it in a huge hurry.

if I wanted to order a starter for my slant do I just order one for a 95 ram 1500 6 cyl?

were all 95 v6's magnums or do I have to specify that? semper fi

Mini starters rock.

They even have them for these....... And, they seriously work.

1970s Belarus 4 cyl air cooled diesel. My driveway is 3/4 mile long, and, without this puppy, I'm dead in the water in the winter time.....

Even more important, as, my 75 Valiant won't go anywhere in more than 2 inches of snow.

See how cleverly I brought my none related post back to MoPar relevance: burnout:

Attachments

• The-Ranch 024.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 317
i had a new one on last summer worked great until i was messin with the timing and she kicked back only once and the guts of the drive are trashed it will still start the car but sounds awful more Chinese junk that needs to be put out of its misery .

So this mini starter will work on the 318? My starter seems to run on even after engine has turned over.

So this mini starter will work on the 318? My starter seems to run on even after engine has turned over.

Makes sure you have the shim in place. Should be part of the dust shield that goes between the engine and transmission.

There are two mini starters. One with the normal studs and one that you have to have a special connector that doesn't come on our cars. I believe you need the early magnum mini starter.

There are two mini starters. One with the normal studs and one that you have to have a special connector that doesn't come on our cars. I believe you need the early magnum mini starter.

That connector is just an extension to put the lugs at the proper height. Should not affect starter operation, justvwire placement. Big block transmission the starter sits higher which is why yiubtake off that extension. The extension also pits the terminals further away from the engine.

Removal of that stock bohemoth was a PITA
Noticed the connections were in different locations but my leads were long enough and could access from the front instead of behind the tire.
Huge improvement over stock!!

Thanks for tip guys!

-
Back