Installing a Hemi into an A body

-

340john

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have owned my '70 340 Swinger for 22 years now. I am in the process of gathering parts for a much needed restoration. I am contemplating putting a 426 in it. I have owned a few hemicars ('69 Superbee, '67 Coronet and '71 Cuda), so I do have a lot experience with building hemicars. I have never installed one into an A body however...thats why I am asking. I know that I need to rework the passenger side fenderwell, relocate the master cylinder, and do something with the heater motor and heater hoses. I don't know about mounts, should I find a hemi K frame or are there conversion mounts I can use ? How about exhaust, will manifolds fit or do I need headers ? Clutch linkage ? What dealers should I use for the needed parts ? Thank you all for any help you can give me.

John

I would try Schumacher Creative Industries for the Hemi motor mounts, they should have them along with a tourq strap. You want to run a manual trans? Try Brewers Performance for the best parts and service, I bought all my 4-speed stuff from them, very happy!

www.brewersperformance.com

www.engine-swaps.com

I'm using the alterKation K frame and mounts. I bought headers from US CarTools which almost fit. I had to swap 2 tubes on the driver side as they hit the frame. They make an adapter plate to mount the master cylinder but if you leave the brake pedal in the stock position the push rod is on a considerable angle. Lots of the SS/AH guys use it that way so it must work OK. I moved the mounting holes about 2 inches over and 1 inch up and then made an adapter to weld to the pedal.

I'm using the alterKation K frame and mounts. I bought headers from US CarTools which almost fit. I had to swap 2 tubes on the driver side as they hit the frame. They make an adapter plate to mount the master cylinder but if you leave the brake pedal in the stock position the push rod is on a considerable angle. Lots of the SS/AH guys use it that way so it must work OK. I moved the mounting holes about 2 inches over and 1 inch up and then made an adapter to weld to the pedal.

i just moved my brake pushrod to the other side of the pedal. lines it right up with the relocated master cylinder.

if you have the budget go with an alterkation, and the us car tool headers. if not, probably using a hemi K-frame is the best alternative. i mounted mine on the factory wedge k-frame in the dart with out too much hassle, but my block had the wedge ears. i was running a four speed for a while, got the Z-bar and linkage from Brewers. used a lakewood scatter can (b-e body), i had to make a new mounting point on the belhousing to straighten out the z-bar angle. headers with a factory k-frame leaves you with two choices that i know about, hookers and headman. the hookers are 2.25 primarys and will take a months work of beating, banging, cutting, and welding to fit (thats what i have). headman makes a few different sizes. do they fit better than the hookers?, i don't know. i also moved my steering box and column over too.
dart010.jpg

dart009.jpg

dart008.jpg

as far as the heater goes you are going to have to sink the blower motor into the firewall alot , the right side valve cover is right there where the motor is .

heat , we don't need no stinkin' heat

i just moved my brake pushrod to the other side of the pedal. lines it right up with the relocated master cylinder.

if you have the budget go with an alterkation, and the us car tool headers. if not, probably using a hemi K-frame is the best alternative. i mounted mine on the factory wedge k-frame in the dart with out too much hassle, but my block had the wedge ears. i was running a four speed for a while, got the Z-bar and linkage from Brewers. used a lakewood scatter can (b-e body), i had to make a new mounting point on the belhousing to straighten out the z-bar angle. headers with a factory k-frame leaves you with two choices that i know about, hookers and headman. the hookers are 2.25 primarys and will take a months work of beating, banging, cutting, and welding to fit (thats what i have). headman makes a few different sizes. do they fit better than the hookers?, i don't know. i also moved my steering box and column over too
dart010.jpg

dart009.jpg

dart008.jpg

That is a class A job!

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have owned my '70 340 Swinger for 22 years now. I am in the process of gathering parts for a much needed restoration. I am contemplating putting a 426 in it. I have owned a few hemicars ('69 Superbee, '67 Coronet and '71 Cuda), so I do have a lot experience with building hemicars. I have never installed one into an A body however...thats why I am asking. I know that I need to rework the passenger side fenderwell, relocate the master cylinder, and do something with the heater motor and heater hoses. I don't know about mounts, should I find a hemi K frame or are there conversion mounts I can use ? How about exhaust, will manifolds fit or do I need headers ? Clutch linkage ? What dealers should I use for the needed parts ? Thank you all for any help you can give me.

John
I hope you have fabrication skills, and you're not the kind of person that gets upset if parts don't fit perfectly. The first time you attempt to drop that HEMI in, you'll say to yourself, "There's no way this is going to fit! It's hitting everywhere!" :toothy10:

Just curious, what is installing a HEMI into an a-body running you guys?

I'm getting ready to do a 440-6 / 4speed / Dana 60 into my 71 Demon, but if a HEMI isn't too much more, why not?

:toothy10:

For my Hemi Dart, i have purchased the Newcomb's 68 hemi k-frame and mounts. But it took me a long time to get it from him! I have decided to go with the alterkation front end. I like the idea of the steering out of the way, and the room for a big oil pan. Milodon has a couple of flat bottom pans out now that work perfectly with the alterkation set-up, plus TTI has a nice set of headers out for this k-frame. I figure this should be the least aggrivating way to install the Hemi inot an a-body with out all the fabbing, bending, beeting, and relocating!! Good luck on your install!!

-
Back