Insurance Co. says car must be in a locked garage

-
^^^This.

1) I do not know of a specialty company in CA that does not require your rod to be kept in a locked garage of some sort. If you are out and about and the car gets stolen you are still covered... we're talking about primary storage here.

2) Every specialty and regular policy I have ever read (and I've read a LOT) has a very specific exclusion for tracks, strips & street racing.... once you hit the track, strip or engage in street racing all coverage is null and void. Track & strip coverage is usually available through the sponsor of the event.

If your agent is claiming you are covered for any of the above, have them back that up in writing(email) or show you in the policy itself where these coverages are afforded. If it's not in the policy declarations.. you don't have coverage.

My2c
I was told sanctioned events i could buy additional coverage. Grundy.

I was told sanctioned events i could buy additional coverage. Grundy.

I've never seen an endorsement to a classic car policy that allows for track/strip use. If you could post up a shot of the coverage in the policy declarations that would be great.

FWIW on the topic. Grundy requires you to garage your classic car as well.

IIRC when I checked with Grundy, they wouldn't cover the avatar car because it has a roll cage. Even though street legal, they told me no.

IIRC when I checked with Grundy, they wouldn't cover the avatar car because it has a roll cage. Even though street legal, they told me no.

That's another restriction my old Hagerty policy had that my American Collectors policy doesn't. It's all in the fine print - not what the salesman tells you over the phone.

I have Hagerty. The issue I have is you cannot back off coverage in the winter when your car is parked. I'm used to taking liability and comprehensive off since the car doesn't move. But nope, they don't allow that so you keep paying for coverage you cannot use. (No, not a Liberty Mutual fan either!!)

In many states, removing liability will get the registration revoked.

What.

Only Heacock Classic (via American Modern) would cover my Dart since I have a nitrous bottle.
They also require a locked garage when not in use. I pay $250 per year up to 6K miles annually (although my year-of-manufacture plates, like historic plates, only allow 1K miles), and $15K agreed value.

A collector car co. once told a Mopar buddy, he could only use his for parades. He said, "everyday that I drive it, I AM IN A PARADE!!!!!"

Like the state that used to say, when driving your antique tagged car, have a log book and login. Yea right, then one day, they stopped saying that!!!! ha

-
Back