intake choice for sbm indy heads

-

7e5hangten360

semi-pro
Reaction score
hi all. i just finished freshening-up a 408 for my dart to use further down the road . heads are from indy and although marked indy w-2, they are actually rectangular-port 360-1 heads or are ported to look like them . my question is : with the intake (360-3r) being so high, i dont think the carb will clear the stock hood. the car is used on the street as much as at the track, and i would prefer not to use a higher scoop. i would prefer a bolt-on intake that would fit without re-drilling the mounting holes to the heads. so what are my intake choices ? how much hp will i lose ? engine was sold as being a 630 horse motor. the current engine is a 475-500 hp 360 and it is still running strong, so no real hurry to replace it.

Last edited:
Indy heads, Indy intake. That is unless you want to do a lot of work. I think I read on Indy’s website that 1 inch could be removed from the carb flange. I hate the fact they made that intake so high. I’d rather add and blend a spacer. Check out to see if I read right as that would be simple on a mill.

a 1 inch cut would be a step in the right direction for me. i thought a w5 intake would fit ? that is, if i could find one ?

I had one W5 head I bought to play with and sold it. Not really familiar with those heads other than like you said parts are hard to find.

a 1 inch cut would be a step in the right direction for me. i thought a w5 intake would fit ? that is, if i could find one ?
I have a W5 intake, looks like the standard port M1 single.
I don’t suggest it. The Indy is far superior. Even with the height wacked down an inch, which is not a step in the right direction as far as power output goes. I get the fitting under the hood thing.

Pittsburgracer ported my M1 standard port intake. It did very well. The Victor is a better idea to use ported and slotting the bolt holes for use. Still, the ports of the Indy are different enough that making another intake work is not an easy task, if possible.

Use the Indy intake.

Plenum volume and shape is where power is made. As said previously, Indy heads = Indy intake. Sometimes you just can’t have your cake and it too…

When I had my Indy head 360-1 setup before I sold it recently I had the Indy intake cut down 1 inch for clearance to use an E Z plate system . It didn't effect performance say all , I ended up not using the system anyhow .

worthless without pictures.gif
:lol:

Over time, it doesn’t. It’s a permanent 150 hp.

back to the original question about hood clearance. i took some measurements today and the carb might clear the hood. if not, it is going to be the carb vent tubes not clearing. if so, can i cut the tubes for clearance without messing the carb calibration ?

Spacer blocks under the K member lower it a half an inch

I wouldn’t mess with the vent tubes myself.

-
Back