Intake manifold and early A hood clearance

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
Does anybody know if a Edelbrock Performer RPM or Air Gap intake will fit under the hood of a 65 valiant without cutting a hole in the hood? I want to ditch the streetmaster 318 intake that I have on my motor now for something better. Im open to suggestions on which intakes will fit without mods to the hood.

i have a police intake on my 318 in my 66, with a 1 inch phenolic spacer and a spreadbore holley toppped with a 6 inch round 3.25 inch tall air cleaner, (yes i know its really too small....) and the center support removed from my hood......it clears by just over 1/8th of an inch to the wing-nut....i have a solid motor mount on the drivers side to keep the engine from moving much....sofar so good....

Does anybody know if a Edelbrock Performer RPM or Air Gap intake will fit under the hood of a 65 valiant without cutting a hole in the hood? I want to ditch the streetmaster 318 intake that I have on my motor now for something better. Im open to suggestions on which intakes will fit without mods to the hood.

I used an Edelbrock Air Gap w/ a Holley 4160. The Holley actually has a lower height than Carter / Edelbrock 4-barrels. I used a base from a cheapo air cleaner & the stock air cleaner top & also machined off the choke housing for better flow. It fit fairly close with about a 3" tall filter. You can get virtually any size filter from K&N. Whatever you use, the key is measuring hood clearance after you have your particular setup on the car.

enginerunning.jpg

So the air gap will fit! That means just about anything will fit then! Thanks for the info y'all!

have a ld4b wth stock carb and air cleaner ..... no problems

Attachments

• 273 engine pic 6-27-12.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 636
If you run into clearance problems, you have several options. One is a low-profile "hat" as used on the Magnum engines. There is a special name (forgot). There are after-market ones for carburetors. See MeMike's photos. Another option is to switch to later, thinner motor mounts, which would drop the engine down 1". I put those temporarily on my 65 273 (had to **** 45 deg), but went back to the standard mounts after changing to a Federal pwr steering pump that sits lower and would have hit the K-frame. Might need to lower the tranny mount to match or fool with your rear-end pinion angle if you go that route.

I took a bunch of measurements a couple of years ago on my small block '65 Valiant. Performer RPM will fit using Holley carb if you use a 3" drop base Air filter. If you are using an Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb I think Mancini has a drop base air filter base plate specific for the Edelbrock/Carter set-up.
Bob

At the risk of starting a fight, what manifold would you recommend running on a hot 318 with ported heads? I want to run an Eddy carb, but i dont want to get into all kinds of weird combinations of air cleaners that may or may not fit. Ive already got a pile of those trial and error drop bases!

I read around and decided on an Edelbrock Performer topped with a Carter AFB and the stock 4 bbl air cleaner. fits fine and the Performer was the best performing intake for basic street use in all the articles I found.

IMG_1298_zps06fac85b.jpg

Craigmachine....I checked Mancini's site and the drop base air filter for the Carter application is for Manual Choke only. Maybe some careful work with a ball-peen hammer on a drop base lower plate would make it work on a automatic choke application? Like I said in my earlier post, a Performer RPM/3" drop base filter will work under a stock hood with a Holley Carb. but be mindful of air cleaner stud length. You don't want any nipples in the middle of your hood.
Bob

At the risk of starting a fight, what manifold would you recommend running on a hot 318 with ported heads? I want to run an Eddy carb, but i dont want to get into all kinds of weird combinations of air cleaners that may or may not fit. Ive already got a pile of those trial and error drop bases!

You do not want to use the RPM series with 318 heads, there will be a big port mismatch. Just use the standard Performer & be done with it, clearance issues will be nonexistant.

You do not want to use the RPM series with 318 heads, there will be a big port mismatch. Just use the standard Performer & be done with it, clearance issues will be nonexistant.
My heads have been ported to 340/360 size. The performer will be a choke on my motor. Ive been eyeballing the Weiand Stealth intake. Its pretty much an exact copy of the old LD4B or whatever its called. Plus its a little lower than the RPM, but i will have to port match it to my heads. No biggie. Yes, i will be running an elect choke. Im sure I can make something fit.

If you run into clearance problems, you have several options. One is a low-profile "hat" as used on the Magnum engines. There is a special name (forgot). There are after-market ones for carburetors. See MeMike's photos. Another option is to switch to later, thinner motor mounts, which would drop the engine down 1". I put those temporarily on my 65 273 (had to **** 45 deg), but went back to the standard mounts after changing to a Federal pwr steering pump that sits lower and would have hit the K-frame. Might need to lower the tranny mount to match or fool with your rear-end pinion angle if you go that route.

You can drop the engine a little if you have the V-8 drag link, but it will be tight below the pan, and you will need a compact starter with a 4 gear or the starter will hit the pitman arm with a standard starter. You will also have clearance issues with headers depending on which headers you are running.

Never had an issue with ANY intake even an STR-12 with the proper air cleaner base. Drop based always seem to save the day.

Will this carb & manifold set-up fit under a 62 Valiant bonnet ????
There will be an adapter plate, and a 3" K&N aircleaner on top.

Attachments

• IMGP5934.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 353
-
Back