Intake manifold SB

-

Dust Ya

Reaction score
Looking for input on which direction to go. I currently have a 318, may go with something else later but for now its what I have. It currently has a 2 barrel. I am looking to go to a 4 barrel and have seen many diffrent manifolds. Right now I am trying to choose between an aluminum edelbrock LD340 and a stock cast iron 1971 340 manifold. Im not looking to race but rather a good dependible street car with a little punch.

What are your recomendations and why?

Thanks

If the engine has over 60 thousand miles on it my advise is don't. Here's why... So many times those external bolt ons , intakes, 4 brls, headers, etc.., are added then the bottom end comes apart. Changing the air flow changes back pressures and wear patterns.
The improved throttle response and even the new sound will prompt the driver to stomp the fire out of an engine that might otherwise have ran well over 100 thousand miles.

LOL, That engine had been stomped on alot allready due to the 2bbl delivering poor acceration abilty with it being under carbed to begin with. ;)

IMO, look in the 4-sale section for a LD4B, Performer or Weiamds Action Plusintake for a much better performing intake and ports that are closer in size to your current heads.

Leave the other 2 alone unless your going to really step up the program in a big way.

Looking for input on which direction to go. I currently have a 318, may go with something else later but for now its what I have. It currently has a 2 barrel. I am looking to go to a 4 barrel and have seen many diffrent manifolds. Right now I am trying to choose between an aluminum edelbrock LD340 and a stock cast iron 1971 340 manifold. Im not looking to race but rather a good dependible street car with a little punch.

Thanks

i wouldn't bother with those, they have 340 ports, go with what Rumble said. BTW the 71 340 intake is close to the ld340 in performance, too bad they didn't make them in aluminum.

Thanks
you didn't say whether or not you have dual exhaust and HEADERS, best bang for the buck IMO.

LOL, That engine had been stomped on alot allready due to the 2bbl delivering poor acceration abilty with it being under carbed to begin with. ;)

IMO, look in the 4-sale section for a LD4B, Performer or Weiamds Action Plusintake for a much better performing intake and ports that are closer in size to your current heads.

Leave the other 2 alone unless your going to really step up the program in a big way.
I agree and would suggest you add dual exhaust and electronic ignition if it doesn't already have it. headers might be an overkill on a motor like that. It's unlikely to see 6000 RPM and you'll get better low-end torque with the manifolds. I'd also stick with a 600 CFM carb or smaller on a stock 318. Bigger ones just eat more fuel and don't add any significant power.

If you can get the stock cast iron cheap go for it. The 68-71 340 intake manifold was one of the best factory manifolds out there for a stockish engine.

the problem is while the after market intake manufactures claim there intakes fit 318, 340, 360, the truth is 340, and 360 have the same size port, and the 318 has a different smaller size port, and mixed matched port sizes severely hurt performance, so your best option is to find an intake with the correct 318 size ports that you can gasket match to the heads,

Caferacerx makes a good point. My Eddy Performer has 1" X 1 7/8" intake ports while my LD340 has 1" X 2 3/16" intakes.
The Performer was bought used and it appears to have some work done on it, although I am not too sure about any rework on the intake ports. Wondering what the 318 head intake port has for its dimensions.

From what I understand, the Performer manifold has the 318 size ports. When i switched to 360 heads on my 318 I had the ports on my Performer gasket matched to the port size of my new heads.

-
Back