intake plenum

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
would it be worth anything to open my street dominator plenum up to how a torker or victors is?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 254
  • 383_Torker.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 272
Well, the idea to change the carb opening to a Holley squarebore shape and use a Holley is a good idea and worth some power.
However, your not going to "Open it up" but rather weld it closed and reshape it.

This intake also responds well (most times in my experience) to a spacer because it is a short intake in height and shallow in the plenum. This gain is also build dependent.

so where the two oval shaped pieces curve in, i couldnt just radious those off and blend it to the rest of the plenum?

Oh you can do that, but there is no advantage to making it bigger from the way it is now. Reread what rumblefish wrote.

so where the two oval shaped pieces curve in, i couldnt just radious those off and blend it to the rest of the plenum?

Don't do that. It's a loser.

To fix it you need to weld up the opening and make it square. I'm doing my own Strip Dominator right now.

Hughes charges over $400.00 to weld it up, surface it and blend it off. That is about $115.00 LESS than I charge.

In fact I don't know if Hughes will even weld them up. They will tell you it's cheaper to buy a Victor or something that is already square.

Looks like it might have had a distribution block (turtle) mounted in the center?

Thats one of the best all around intakes for a B, don't mess with It. Sell it and buy a Victor or cheap Torker.

Im gonna keep the intake, i mean it ran great before i was just wondering if it would be benificial. In all the intake tests done on 383s and 440s te street dominator makes power right up with any other intake

if you have a 1" holley single hole space bolt it on. grab some moroso epoxy(or any other fuel resistant epoxy) and fill in the large openings in the intake. let it dry and smooth it out to the holley spacer. blend in the turns to the top of the runners and that should do it for you.

In all the intake tests done on 383s and 440s the street dominator makes power right up with any other intake

Good intake - leave it alone.

I'm sure it ran good but just given the fact that you were thinking about modifying the intake means you are looking for optimizing your performance. Here are some numbers, all from the same bench.

Holley Street Dominator
Stock average 282.3 CFM

Edelbrock Performer RPM
Stock average 285 CFM

Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane
Stock average 314 CFM

Yea i have a 1 and 2" open space and a 1" 4 hole spacer, and i am trying to pick up some, the motor was out of my dads car and so far i blended the bowls in the heads and gasket matched the ports, smothed out any casting slag and partig lines, rounded down the guides, port matched the runners on the intake, got some steel shim gaskets to raise compression a hair,and have a set of fenderwell headers, i was just lookig to pick up a few extra ponies here and there, but ill just leave the plenum as is, with a spacer of course

if you have a 1" holley single hole space bolt it on. grab some moroso epoxy(or any other fuel resistant epoxy) and fill in the large openings in the intake. let it dry and smooth it out to the holley spacer. blend in the turns to the top of the runners and that should do it for you.

But thisis along the lines of what i was looking to do

$400 for that, cant be worth that much

If you do it correctly, it's worth that. There is a bunch of welding (some are worse than others...about the least time it has taken me is 1.25 hours and the SD of my own I'm doing now has over 2 hours of welding on it. Then you have to blend the runners correctly. And to do it RIGHT, you have to surface the carb flange. $400.00 @ $75.00/hr shop time only gives you gives you only about 5 hours to do it.

That will take a butt load of filler in the first place. In the second place, when the spacer is on, it's not just the secondary side that needs work.

I have a Good bit of eboxy, when i fixed head i went to my local shop and he gave me a whole pack, its a two part epoxy. It worked great on that

that should work just fine. rough and clean the areas to epoxy. tip the intake on it's side and fill in the areas you want if the epoxy is the runny type, let it set up then do the other 3 sides the same way.

You could just put a phenolic spacer on there and run what you like and it would be killing about 3 birds with one stone. But then there wouldn't be a thread to talk about I guess...

You could just put a phenolic spacer on there and run what you like and it would be killing about 3 birds with one stone. But then there wouldn't be a thread to talk about I guess...

This is true, but im always willing to try something different, plus id like to see how durable that epoxy is so i know if it will work well when i put my good motor together.

Well ill be sure to fill everyone in on how it does, it was strong before, moved a 3500lb b body 12.65, i plan to have my car running for spring. It wont be track ready but i should be able to burn around town

-
Back