Internal vs external vacuum source

-

AKrum

Reaction score
I need to purchase an electric choke conversion for my Holley 4 barrel carb. List 80457-13. I believe it’s a CFM 600. Having trouble figuring out if it’s internal or external. The only vacuum hose that comes off the carb goes to solenoid. Pictures included.

459EF34F-FA99-4E23-8949-D074FEF186B3.jpeg

16339FD1-0768-4612-9AE7-886D82A42168.jpeg

6A27FB82-991F-45DA-95C0-C9DBF1D0151A.jpeg

1093B7F9-09D0-48A3-9E4A-74DC26FE832F.jpeg

80457-13. I believe it’s a CFM 600.
Yes 600 cfm model 4160

The only vacuum hose that comes off the carb goes to solenoid
Vacuum sources are like this.
upload_2022-1-23_15-49-50.png

There usually is another small manifold vacuum port on the front of the carburator's baseplate.

Having trouble figuring out if it’s internal or external.
The three threaded holes are for mounting a choke.
The circled hole is the location for the choke qualification passage. That's a vacuum source that opens the choke further when the engine starts running. Whether it is drilled through, you'll have to check.
I've also seen some older Holley's use that as part of a hot air supply to the choke. I doubt yours has that function.
upload_2022-1-23_15-57-13.png

Yes 600 cfm model 4160

Vacuum sources are like this.
View attachment 1715857826
There usually is another small manifold vacuum port on the front of the carburator's baseplate.

The three threaded holes are for mounting a choke.
The circled hole is the location for the choke qualification passage. That's a vacuum source that opens the choke further when the engine starts running. Whether it is drilled through, you'll have to check.
I've also seen some older Holley's use that as part of a hot air supply to the choke. I doubt yours has that function.
View attachment 1715857833

Yes, indeed has a front vacuum port. That should make it external sourced, correct? I guess whoever installed the carb missed that. Thank you for the help!

ADA9AA1D-FB0B-4329-AD6E-80D610781A78.jpeg

That should make it external sourced, correct?
Its an external vacuum source.
But its probably unneccesary to use it as it looks like your carb has a port for that purpose.

Its an external vacuum source.
But its probably unneccesary to use it as it looks like your carb has a port for that purpose.

Great! That answers it! Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Great! That answers it! Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Sure.
Looking at Holley's website and the instructions, it would seem that carb original was sold with an electric choke.
So that internal passage should be there.
Holley 0-80457S 600 CFM Street Warrior Carburetor

If your car originally came with an electric assist choke, you can probably use that same connection. I don't know how much current Holley's electric choke draws but it will add some load to the run circuit.

Not really sure what vacuum has to do with the choke plate. That's what they would call a hypercharger closed at full vacuum and open at no vacuum, empty your gas tank real quick.

Not really sure what vacuum has to do with the choke plate. That's what they would call a hypercharger closed at full vacuum and open at no vacuum, empty your gas tank real quick.
The vacuum originally pulled heat from a tube down in a hot area of the manifold, heat from there in through the choke thermostat, and into a port matching the choke housing into the carb. The HEAT warmed the CHOKE THERMOSTAT

The heat pickup tube "originally" had a tube connecting one end of the tube to the open area "bonnet" above the carb to give it clean air and keep out debri. The tube then made a sort of U turn down into the hot area of the manifold "well" and back up to the choke thermostat

Random photo off the internet, Chev:

engine(4).jpg

engine(3).jpg

Some Fords went clear down to the exhaust manifold and back up

Last edited:
That's different. That brings exhaust heat to an integral choke.
AFAIK the passage on the side of the 41450/60 main body was intended to bring manifold vacuum to a qualifying piston inside the choke housing.

Same job as the external vacuum diaphram on this carb
upload_2022-1-23_21-31-1.png

upload_2022-1-23_21-34-30.png

upload_2022-1-23_21-44-14.png

In this illustration it works with spring and vacuum, which explains the spring on the Motorcraft 2150 in the photo above.
upload_2022-1-23_21-47-2.png

More About Carburetors (Session 223) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Last edited:
-
Back