Internet vs reality

-
Ran mid-high 9's with a 377" small block & a glide. They do indeed make great drag cars......

Oh heck yeah. Takes a lot of work to get them there. Wasn't until 65 that GM figured out they had a pretty decent small block and maybe they should try it in one of them cars. The suspension in stock form really kinda sucked and you can't fit any real tire in the back.

Agree on the early Nova. Buddy had a small tire 327 small journal/M21 combo. Ran low 12's(2001),every day driver. Also missed lots of 2/3 shifts. We nicknamed him"Mr Missashift".

Oh heck yeah. Takes a lot of work to get them there. Wasn't until 65 that GM figured out they had a pretty decent small block and maybe they should try it in one of them cars. The suspension in stock form really kinda sucked and you can't fit any real tire in the back.
Don't remember what was done to the rear of the car, might have been back halved. I do know he ran it with a set of mono leafs/floaters and ladder bars for the longest time. He cut the cage out, put a chrome moly one in it with a a 4 link. He was running 14wx32's. Car ran like a clock.

When asked " who tuned it for ya , you reply....
me myself and i

So it took three of youse to figure it out ?

Dude im the first to admit im no master machanic or engine tuner or drag car fabractor

I guess that explains the other two. :D:D:D

Myself , I never pass on a chance to impart some wisdom.
And we get close with Internet vs. Reality.
The actual question.........let me start from the beginning.
Young William is in the living room doing his homework.
He turns to his Father who is in his recliner reading the news paper and asks " Dad....what's the difference between theory and reality ? "
Dad sets down the paper , scratches his head for a second and tells him " Well , Billy ...I have a little experiment that might shed some light on this problem. Go in the kitchen and ask your Mother if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars ?
Billy bolts for the kitchen and is back in seconds , he tells him " Yeah Dad , she said she would."
Dad says " Ahhhhh , now we're getting somewhere. Go upstairs and ask your sister the same question."
Billy tears up the stairs and is back in a moment. He exclaims " Yeah Dad.....she said she would too."
Dad looks down at Billy and says " Well , there you have it. In theory , we could be millionaires , and in reality , we live with a couple of tramps."
So endeth the lesson.

When asked " who tuned it for ya , you reply....

So it took three of youse to figure it out ?

I guess that explains the other two. :D:D:D

Myself , I never pass on a chance to impart some wisdom.
And we get close with Internet vs. Reality.
The actual question.........let me start from the beginning.
Young William is in the living room doing his homework.
He turns to his Father who is in his recliner reading the news paper and asks " Dad....what's the difference between theory and reality ? "
Dad sets down the paper , scratches his head for a second and tells him " Well , Billy ...I have a little experiment that might shed some light on this problem. Go in the kitchen and ask your Mother if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars ?
Billy bolts for the kitchen and is back in seconds , he tells him " Yeah Dad , she said she would."
Dad says " Ahhhhh , now we're getting somewhere. Go upstairs and ask your sister the same question."
Billy tears up the stairs and is back in a moment. He exclaims " Yeah Dad.....she said she would too."
Dad looks down at Billy and says " Well , there you have it. In theory , we could be millionaires , and in reality , we live with a couple of tramps."
So endeth the lesson.
lmao nice...

The trouble with the net is that there are no qualifications to post info(used loosely,lol). Most just repost something that they read(so it MUST be true),others want to post every step they take(because they have NO life),others like to watch a train wreck(LOL that's me) because they cannot find the time (or typing,lol ) to spell **** out that most would just miss anyway! I get a good kick out of reading the stuff posted but rarely reply as it's not going to make me more $$(how many real smart guys even waste time on the net? Hint,NOT MANY) . It's still entertaining to some. ME!

After reading my post I felt I should clarify something. Most folks are really trying to help others and that should be the goal at the end of it all. I guess i'm old school and if you have not done it or only read it you should not repeat it,but that may not be the way the world works anymore? I still love the train wrecks that are coming!!LOL

After reading my post I felt I should clarify something. Most folks are really trying to help others and that should be the goal at the end of it all. I guess i'm old school and if you have not done it or only read it you should not repeat it,but that may not be the way the world works anymore? I still love the train wrecks that are coming!!LOL

I'll allow for first hand knowledge.....a friend's project or something like that.
Just reading is a solid foundation to build on , and a good way to learn.
I've been at this car thing for a good while too , and I probably know enough to be a hazard to myself and others.
But I have gotten some brilliant advice on line and it has saved me a **** ton in money and head aches.
All from strangers. How cool is that ? And free to boot.
The thing is , you need to sift through what advice you have solicited and determine what will best suit your personal situation.
Train wrecks ? Well..........I'm not proud of it , but I may be the heavy weight champion thread derailer in the history of the internet. :D:D
If it weren't educational , entertaining and free ............well , really. What more can you ask for ?

The trouble with the net is that there are no qualifications to post info(used loosely,lol). Most just repost something that they read(so it MUST be true),others want to post every step they take(because they have NO life),others like to watch a train wreck(LOL that's me) because they cannot find the time (or typing,lol ) to spell **** out that most would just miss anyway! I get a good kick out of reading the stuff posted but rarely reply as it's not going to make me more $$(how many real smart guys even waste time on the net? Hint,NOT MANY) . It's still entertaining to some. ME!

i don't know for sure but i thought these forums were for helping each other and not to make money.

I agree,but free information is only that. Just gotta be aware of the source and decide if it might be the correct advice.

I'm here because I love Mopars! There are some really nice cars/builds here. There are also quite a few very knowledgeable people as well. Of course anyone should always make their own decisions when it comes to doing their own work. But it's nice to be able to come to a nice community of people, if even just to bounce thoughts or ideas off of them.

And, who hasn't had their own train wreck going at one time or another? lol. I'd rather help if I can, than sit back and mock someone for digging in and giving it a shot! ;)

i don't know for sure but i thought these forums were for helping each other and not to make money.

Bingo. I haven't made real money in an auto industry since 2003.
If you're here to be entertained by others' misfortunes or ignorance you should just watch Tosh 4.0 and surf YouTube - you'll get more out of it.
If you're here to add to your shops workload and add nothing more than self-promotional threads that detail nothing a DIYer might find useful you would be better served to spend money on real advertising at local tracks (assuming your stuff is winning), contingencies, and signage.
If, however, you have an opinion or technical info to add and can communicate and interact in a positive and respectful way - jump in. Nobody's right all the time.

Nobody's right all the time.

And there you have it folks. The problem with DDC was he asks for help then totally ignores the very informed help he gets. He is deservedly proud of what he has accomplished with his own two hands but dare I say, if he had that attitude outside of a union context he wouldn't have a job.

Flame me if you want but that's my 2 cents.

And DDC, that's my car at the bottom of this post that I built with my own two hands and a few friends. I'm not a check book racer until I win the lottery. We do all our own fabrication and 99% of the machine work too.

did you take the duster to the track this weekend. if so, did you get your carb or fuel delivery sorted out.

Bingo. I haven't made real money in an auto industry since 2003.
If you're here to be entertained by others' misfortunes or ignorance you should just watch Tosh 4.0 and surf YouTube - you'll get more out of it.
If you're here to add to your shops workload and add nothing more than self-promotional threads that detail nothing a DIYer might find useful you would be better served to spend money on real advertising at local tracks (assuming your stuff is winning), contingencies, and signage.
If, however, you have an opinion or technical info to add and can communicate and interact in a positive and respectful way - jump in. Nobody's right all the time.
Well put Moper! There are some folks that really go out of their way to help and have some good advice,I think your one of those guys. Pretty rare to find them on the net. I do not have the patience for it myself. gotta get back to the shop to get some stuff done.

yep.....for the bulk of us this is about a HOBBY.......can't imagine thinking you will make money by being a member of this forum.......

at the end of the day, we all build them the way we want to build them...

yours is running and moving and can be taken to the track. that's worth 100 times more than having the best of this and the best of that.

but as far as people's opinions... we all try to give our best info to help out the others. nobody is holding back so we can beat someone else with our secrets. sometimes people take it as an insult but who cares.

as far as chevy vs. fords vs. mopars... that will probably never be settled but i know my likes and dislikes.

if chevy is heartbeat of america, mopar is the muscle of america ;)

So has anybody heard of DDC's results from his TNT? I would like to know how his changes worked, good, bad, or otherwise. The information would be invaluable.

I have no idea what kinda conflict went on to inspire this thread but....here's my take on internet versus reality?

I hate doing things twice, it's better to learn from someone else's mistake.

Whether it be bad or good, the internet is a resource for advice and information.

Mopar experts are rare, most commercial businesses will say chev, ford and mopar are all "pretty similar" which is pretty much BS if you ask me!

I'm 26 and I live in Australia. I don't have 30 years of mechanical repair/fabrication experience to back me up. I am proud of the knowledge I have and proud of the work I've done with that knowledge. I am ALWAYS looking to learn more and become more skilled and gain more knowledge.

The more I learn now, the more I can teach later.

you're always going to get people who will say "you can't do this" or "you have to do that", it's not JUST the internet.

sometimes it's fun to discover that a "fact" that's been repeated over and over a million times by everyone "in the know" is actually not a fact at all.

Over here, the internet is a great way to shop. Buying parts locally is usually about 1.5x the price of buying from someone like summit racing (and that's after shipping)

I like keeping up to date on other people's projects, seeing photos/videos of someone's car take shape from the other side of the world is an amazing thing.

So the internet has a few people who wanna try to "run with the big boys" and stake their claim as an authority on all things "horsepower", Is that any different to reality?

If I'm not mistaken, back in the day (before my time) anyone who thought they had the baddest car, had all the know-how and couldn't be beaten was said to be "choking their chicken"

might tnt sunday if it dries up here, wifes not happy about spending mothers day at the track ,but i cant wait to see how my rejetted carb works out ill post times good or bad that will clear up this thread.

-
Back