Intsrument Gauges do not like cold weather??

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
Nice sunny day to take the Barracuda for a spin, the garage temperature is 9C / 48F and outside temperature is -5C / 23F. The temperature and oil gauge goes off to the far right while the gas gauge does not make it past the E. Drove the car for an hour and everything but the gas gauge works? I haven't driven the car in cold weather for about 14 years, as this is not my daily driver not too concerned because it is hopefully the cold. I assume gas gauge will come back? Is this typical and can it be fixed? Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• DSCF6959.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 187
Guages don't have a problem with cold weather, but they sure hate bad grounds.
Sitting for a long time can cause all kinds of bad connections, so you might chk and jiggle your bulkhead connectors also.

Might chk the tank ground strap for the fuel gauge problem.

Ok ....let me get this striaght .... your instruments gauges don't like cold weather ....it being the garage temperature is 9C / 48F .....lol ....I think you may have other issues .... todays temp here is -20C with a windchill of -31C , for our american friends ...thats -4F or -24F with the windchill .... never had issues with gauges not working here .... mind you I dont drive the dart in this, just start it up a couple times to move. Oh and they say the weekend will be colder ..... 9C would be balmy here this time of year ....lol .... check wiring and ground would be my first thought

If two gauges peg to far right, you likely have a problem with the instrument voltage regulator in the cluster. The fact that the fuel is on MT might mean it has a different problem

I like this weather but maybe my Barracuda is a warm blooded fish? The cluster was taken fully apart in the Summer with new fuses and grounded to the dash frame. The voltage regulator maybe the problem of some of you have indicated. Thanks!

I'll guess. Failing fuel gauge and/or the limiter. The fuel gauge is already fried and the bad limiter is going to fry the other 2 gauges eventually.
Not to discount others guesses but... fact is lack of ground cannot peg a gauge. Too much ground ( as in lack of resistance to ground ) is what pegs gauges and fries stuff.

As per(http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ment_gauges_repair/viewall.html#ixzz2mkIu5Rwz)

If all three gauges simultaneously jump to full/high for a few seconds and then settle back to their original readings, the problem is probably the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR). (To upgrade your IVR to modern electronics, see the November 1992 issue of Mopar Muscle.) These separate IVRs should attach to the gas gauge on cars with Rallye Instrument clusters, and beside the speedometer on other models. The IVR has a heated bi-metal bar similar to those found in the gauges. As the bar moves, it forces a set of points open and closed to provide a steady flow of electricity to the gauge. The instruments see it as an average of five volts, what they were designed for. If the contact points stay open too long, you'll see simultaneous low readings, and if they stay closed too long, you'll see simultaneous high readings. If your regulator is built into the gas gauge, you'll probably have to have it professionally repaired.

One or two would have been enough, Your IVR, by the way is build into the fuel gauge. There's about 7 bullion threads on here between Red and I about this subject

Yup.....more searching and from A-Bodies help indicates IVR which is built into the gas gauge on ralleye dashes on the 67-69 Barracuda. So next question....can you buy a new assembly or send it out to get rebuilt?

So I may have over grounded my circuit board?

Those grounds have no effect on resistance to ground in gauge circuits that I referred to. That is as long as a terminal doesn't link across copper traces on the board.

Yup.....more searching and from A-Bodies help indicates IVR which is built into the gas gauge on ralleye dashes on the 67-69 Barracuda. So next question....can you buy a new assembly or send it out to get rebuilt?

Yes sir. There is even a exchange program for that particular gauge.

I would first try changing to an electronic "voltage limiter", as most people do. Search that term with "Plymouth" on ebay. About $30 after shipping, at least in the U.S. Fairly simple to swap, and you look like a handy guy. While the dash is out, you might consider changing to LED bulbs like I did. About $1 ea on ebay. They draw much less current and don't generate heat to dis-color the plastic, and should last forever.

-
Back