Is 68 dash paint flat, satin, or ?

-

mikeinsjc

Reaction score
I am restoring a 68 Formula S. My interior was originally green. Is the correct paint "sheen" on the dash frame a flat, 10% gloss or what? Thanks for your help

Depends on if you're asking about mixing a flattening agent or what........

Percentage could be subjective relative to the actual paint you use.

If you have a doubt about the actual finished look, we've found that Krylon Satin Black(or semi-gloss) is the closest to the original look we've found.

Flattening agents are generally mixed with a clearcoat, and due to the added thickness, have actually changed the character of some of the "graining" we find on the old dash parts.

We have dashes out there from many years back that have been restored using actual Krylon brand satin black, and they still look great..holds up extremely well in our experience, and is the cat's meow for a match.

Others may have a different opinion.....this is ours from much experience. 8)

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who knows to tell me if the correct sheen is satin, flat, or what.

ok factory called that a swede finish. Still need to dry spray something other to get the look but now you know :)

Swede finish. What the *&%# is a swede finish? Wait, I know. It's what a Swede does at the Olympics, right?

Swede finish. What the *&%# is a swede finish? Wait, I know. It's what a Swede does at the Olympics, right?

ok Maybe its sweude ? swuede ? You know what ""the *&%#"" it says you spell it.

I used textured satin paint from Rustoleum ...worked perfect....! Its at Home Depot

I just had got done painting my dash frame the other week. I used Krylon flat black and that seemd the closest match to the dash in my other car. Check out my pics. and see what you guys think.

John

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

J-Miller is very close. The only black dash color listed for 1968 on a Barracuda is a flat black named " Jewel Black " # 9324. That is a Ditzler paint code. Give them this # at your local paint store. Good luck. What does the fender tag say?

The Krylon will probably hold skin oils and look pretty spotty after a while. I would suggest John Deere Blitz Black for a really nice satin look that is very close to stock.

I have done several dash panels and I am actually restoring a 68 Barracuda with the same green. This is called a Suede Finish and the color is Catawba Green Code Number 43721 and I got it in an acrylic enamel but you will add flatener for your dash, glove box and steering column. Go easy on the flatener because if you get it too flat then you can,t go back. The paint will have a slight texture to it and will have a very light sheen and will not be totally flat. Test this on an area and dry it with a hair dryer until you get the look you want. If it is too glossy add more flatener. I only use acrylic enamel paints and it is much easier to get the correct look.

Richard
musclecardata.com

-
Back