Is 9.7:1 compression on iron heads too much for 91 octane

-

cawcislo

Reaction score
Looking to boost my compression and did some calculations with kb399 pistons. These domed pistons would put me at 9.75:1 static compression. Would this cause me detonation problems on 91 octane with open chamber iron heads? Current cam has intake closing @0.050 38 ABDC and at 400 feet above sea level which according to the Wallace calc gives me 9.04:1 dynamic compression. Let me know what you think.

i would say iron heads tops you want to go is 9.5. lets see what others think. If I can remember correctly my engine builder may have told me that in the past!

These are the numbers from my 340. Static is a little higher but the dynamic is lower, running at a similar elevation. KB 243's with open chamber iron 308's that have been ported, opened up for 2.02/1.60's and had the chambers touched up a little. I run on 91 octane but I've pulled back a couple degrees on timing, I'm at 20° at idle 34° all in. It liked 36° all in better, but depending on the weather conditions I would occasionally get some detonation with that amount of timing on the 91. I don't have perfect quench or anything, being an early 340 my piston's are .018" over the deck. Cranking compression on compression checks is ~180 psi. I verified that all the pistons were .018" over the deck and checked the chambers at ~65cc myself as well.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.11.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.17.37 PM.png

Looking to boost my compression and did some calculations with kb399 pistons. These domed pistons would put me at 9.75:1 static compression. Would this cause me detonation problems on 91 octane with open chamber iron heads? Current cam has intake closing @0.050 38 ABDC and at 400 feet above sea level which according to the Wallace calc gives me 9.04:1 dynamic compression. Let me know what you think.
you might have to pull a couple degrees or 3 out of total timing

lets start here
There are people that have detonation problems with compression as low as 7.5:1 and then there is people that claim no detonation at 11 or 12 to one on pump gas.

The first thing you need to do is verify you math! The further you get a way from mother mopar stock.........The more you need to measure everything.
For example, how far is the flat part of that dome piston sticking out of the block......or how far down in the bore is it???
How close is the dome from hitting the combustion chamber of the head.
How many cc does you dome have........do you need to add the base of the piston to the dome cc(piston above deck) or do you need to subtract the cc from the dome Piston in the hole or down in the bore.........

All of this could change your actual ratio.

To answer you question in a kind of yes or no fashion.........9.7:1 should be just fine...........but is it 9.7 or 11.0:1? or more????
I don't know anything about these piston but the old school dome pistons for a sb mopar were 11.5:1 with a un shaved stock head!!!!

I thought I was at 11.08:1 but when I found my notes I’m at a measured 11.20:1 and I’m getting thinner head gaskets to get to 11.66:1 on pump gas, but you have to have all your ducks in row to do it.

You MUST have your cooling system under control. You MUST have your carb tuned. You MUST have your advance curve correctly set. You cam MUST be selected with your final CR in mind. That doesn’t mean you need a big cam, it means you need the right cam. Which means it won’t come off the shelf.

If you aren’t willing to do all that, then 10:1, an actual measured 10:1, not some Mickey mouse on line deal where you add in values you haven’t actually measured is about where I’d stop.

Not using as much CR as you are capable of is a giant waste. Not of power, but efficiency. You lose expansion ratio with low CR. Among other things.

With a small block MoPar a dome is isn't a big deal. It’s not a small block chevy.

I thought I was at 11.08:1 but when I found my notes I’m at a measured 11.20:1 and I’m getting thinner head gaskets to get to 11.66:1 on pump gas, but you have to have all your ducks in row to do it.

You MUST have your cooling system under control. You MUST have your carb tuned. You MUST have your advance curve correctly set. You cam MUST be selected with your final CR in mind. That doesn’t mean you need a big cam, it means you need the right cam. Which means it won’t come off the shelf.

If you aren’t willing to do all that, then 10:1, an actual measured 10:1, not some Mickey mouse on line deal where you add in values you haven’t actually measured is about where I’d stop.

Not using as much CR as you are capable of is a giant waste. Not of power, but efficiency. You lose expansion ratio with low CR. Among other things.

With a small block MoPar a dome is isn't a big deal. It’s not a small block chevy.
You don't think the engine will rattle at sea level on pump swill.

Nope. My next one will be over 12:1 on pump gas...maybe as high as 12.5:1. and I’ll run full timing...35-36 total.

With iron heads on 91 octane at sea level? And what's your dynamic compression again?

That big static number doesn't mean a thing if you're not going to stick to the question. Iron heads, at sea level, on 91 octane with a small cam. We're trying to answer the OP's question, not blow sunshine up his butt with numbers he can't run because his build is completely different than yours.

The blueprint iron headed 408 that I bought said it was 9.8 to 1 and recommended 91 octane and had a warranty. I think you are fine.

The blueprint iron headed 408 that I bought said it was 9.8 to 1 and recommended 91 octane and had a warranty. I think you are fine.

It's not that simple. What's the dynamic compression on that engine? That engine also has Magnum heads, which are closed chamber for better quench. If the OP is talking about domes he doesn't have closed chamber heads.

And you'd better check the numbers, because Blueprint also says that engine is only supposed to have 34° of total timing at 3,500.

It's easy to say his static compression is lower so he should be fine. My compression ratio is 9.8:1 after all. But his dynamic compression is a lot higher than mine, and I still pulled a couple degrees to be safe because I run it on the street and don't change my tuning for every trip to the grocery store.

Using the same calculator you used above my dynamic comes in at 8.385:1 way less then that other calculator. Cam is 224/224 .465/.465 110LSA.

Last edited:
IMO, yes, with that high a dynamic ratio, you will have problems with spark knock.

With iron heads on 91 octane at sea level? And what's your dynamic compression again?

That big static number doesn't mean a thing if you're not going to stick to the question. Iron heads, at sea level, on 91 octane with a small cam. We're trying to answer the OP's question, not blow sunshine up his butt with numbers he can't run because his build is completely different than yours.

Read a little closer. I said it can be done. Easily. If you want to. This decades old bullshit of building low CR pump,gas engines is ignorant. 10:1 is stupid simple IF you don’t look through a catalog for a cam. That is the number one killer right there. Not a big cam, the RIGHT cam, which aren’t found in catalogs.

You have to get the cooling system correct. If you think your high CR pump gas engine should operate at the same engine temp as your jap car, you’ll fail. 180 degrees is as hot as they should get. Period. If you can’t or won’t do it, then run the 8.5:1 CR you deserve, and the crap performance you get for it.

It’s that simple. BTW, what the head is made of means ZERO when choosing CR. Nothing.

I wasn’t blowing sunshine up any skirts. I was pointing out the fallacy of low CR and pump gas. It’s stupid. It was stupid in 1980 and it’s just as stupid today.

The OP shouldn’t even be close to concerned over 9.7:1. In fact, he should be looking for more.

And yes, I run those CR numbers on pump gas at sea level. I’ve raced at below sea level with those CR’s, all on pump gas.

It's not that simple. What's the dynamic compression on that engine? That engine also has Magnum heads, which are closed chamber for better quench. If the OP is talking about domes he doesn't have closed chamber heads.

And you'd better check the numbers, because Blueprint also says that engine is only supposed to have 34° of total timing at 3,500.

It's easy to say his static compression is lower so he should be fine. My compression ratio is 9.8:1 after all. But his dynamic compression is a lot higher than mine, and I still pulled a couple degrees to be safe because I run it on the street and don't change my tuning for every trip to the grocery store.

I’ll let you in on a little secret. Those computer programs are full of ****. The programmer puts his data in, and it’s set up to make you run something you don’t need to.

I don’t build off some nonsense computer produced, cranking compression, voodoo crap. Rediculous.

No.

My stock compression 340 motor(TRUE compression of 9.4) would start to detonate right at the finish line, in the heat of the summer at 4400 foot elevation With a mopar .474 280 duration cam.
If i knew then what i know now, it would not have detonated.

Mine was detonating because of eng coolant temp and eng bay air temp.
Smoothing up the combustion chamber would have helped out a lot as well.
Sealing off the heat crossover in the intake.
opening up the headers instead of running them thru the 2 inch full lenght exhaust, i had at the time.
Header Wrap headers.

Just a little food for thought.

Read a little closer. I said it can be done. Easily. If you want to. This decades old bullshit of building low CR pump,gas engines is ignorant. 10:1 is stupid simple IF you don’t look through a catalog for a cam. That is the number one killer right there. Not a big cam, the RIGHT cam, which aren’t found in catalogs.

You have to get the cooling system correct. If you think your high CR pump gas engine should operate at the same engine temp as your jap car, you’ll fail. 180 degrees is as hot as they should get. Period. If you can’t or won’t do it, then run the 8.5:1 CR you deserve, and the crap performance you get for it.

It’s that simple. BTW, what the head is made of means ZERO when choosing CR. Nothing.

I wasn’t blowing sunshine up any skirts. I was pointing out the fallacy of low CR and pump gas. It’s stupid. It was stupid in 1980 and it’s just as stupid today.

The OP shouldn’t even be close to concerned over 9.7:1. In fact, he should be looking for more.

And yes, I run those CR numbers on pump gas at sea level. I’ve raced at below sea level with those CR’s, all on pump gas.

All well and good for a race only car. You retune every day at the track and shut down after every race.

180° all the time is great if you're drag racing, it's easy to maintain that if you're only doing a 1/4 mile at a time. If you're driving on the street that's not very realistic, you will have temperature variation no matter how great your cooling system is. And if you're driving on the street when it's over 100°F outside, well, yeah it's going to be even harder to maintain. Why did I pull timing on my car? Well, because I frequently drive in temperatures exceeding 100°F, and when I do that my coolant temperatures get closer to 200°F. Which is still great for a street car. But not great if you're running right on the edge of detonation. And there's the fuel, the blend changes twice a year here. I don't retune. Street car. So basically my tune has to work from below freezing to over 100°F, because I don't re-jet every month as the temperature changes and they mess with the fuel blend. Or even between when I start the car at 0' dark thirty and it's 50° out or when I take it out later that afternoon at 100°F+.

If temperature matters so much like you claim, so does the material of the head. Aluminum and cast iron dissipate heat differently, that's physics and materials science. Is it worth a full point of compression like some folks claim? Probably not. But it does make a difference.

And it's not 1980. And 91 octane isn't what it used to be. And given the cam the OP is running, that's not a drag race only car.

I’ll let you in on a little secret. Those computer programs are full of ****. The programmer puts his data in, and it’s set up to make you run something you don’t need to.

I don’t build off some nonsense computer produced, cranking compression, voodoo crap. Rediculous.

I just did my combo and I come out at 9.00:1 and a cranking compression of 190 and mine has no detonation issues.

:rofl:

So after all whining and complaining that you still ran your numbers?! Hilarious.

And I love all the "computer produced" "Voodoo" "computer programs are full of ****" nonsense. Those calculators and computer programs just run the math on the geometry of the engine. It's all the same math as doing it long hand, it's not voodoo. They're just calculating volumes based on dimensions. Same for dynamic compression, it's just calculating the volume in the cylinder based on the position of the piston when the intake valve is closing. If you know how to do the math the calculator just makes it easier. If you don't understand the math, then you can get yourself in trouble pretty quick feeding in bad information. There's nothing magic about the calculators, the fact that you don't understand how they're coming up with those numbers is more telling about your knowledge than anything else.

Dynamic compression calculating can be a little interesting, because ultimately you're calculating the cylinder volume when the intake valve is closing and depending on the ramp speed on the cam you may be building compression when the valve is "closed" but before it's fully seated. So the KB calculator uses ABDC @ .050" +15°. Others use intake duration -180 +15, others use .006" of tappet lift. You get the idea, it's an estimate because you're trying to calculate the moment the intake valve actually closes enough to build pressure and where the piston is at that point, and that's very specific to the individual cam.

So the KB calculator says my dynamic compression is 8.195:1. The Wallace calculator I don't like, you can feed it any number that makes you feel good, but it doesn't say what wants. Like if I feed in the ABDC number instead of ABDC +15, it tells me my dynamic compression is 8.9:1 and my cranking pressure is 188 psi. If I feed it ABDC +15 then I get the same 8.2:1, but it tells me my cranking pressure is only 168 psi.

Realistically I know that I haven't put in enough data for it to be very good at calculating a cranking pressure, it has to be assuming the starter motor speed and a bunch of other stuff that basically makes the cranking pressure a wild *** guess. But if I use a few different estimates, I get a ballpark to work with. So I know that when it tells me my dynamic compression is 8.2:1, but I actually get a cranking pressure of 180 psi and I have to back off a couple degrees of timing, that the faster ramps on my cam may be closing that valve a little faster than ABDC +15. But I also know that it runs on 91 just fine unless it's 100°F +, so I know I'm probably not much higher than 8.4:1. Like any tool, you have to know how to use the calculators.

Using the same calculator you used above my dynamic comes in at 8.385:1 way less then that other calculator. Cam is 224/224 .465/.465 110LSA.

I think on the street you're going to be kinda borderline on 91. If your tune is always really great then maybe it'll work. But as I've said, if this is a street car and you don't want to retune it every time you take it out because the weather changed you may need more wiggle room than that.

As above, the OP's computation of DCR is incorrect. You don't put in the duration at .050"... you use the advertised duration for a hydraulic cam. I'll modify that a bit for an older reeeally slow ramp cam.

OP, I am trying to verify your numbers.... what heads do you have and what cam PN/vendor? Using the generic 678 heads from a 318, I get 9.9 SCR and estimating the advertised on your cam, I get 8.1 for DCR with a ICL of 106. Runnable on pump fuel, but you have to take care on the ignition timing, and I'd put the cam in in at 108 or 110 ICL to lower the DCR 0.1 or 0.2 .

I have run 8.3 on the street with 93 octane and iron heads, but had to be careful with tuning, and it was definitely more prone to detonation at sea level than at 1000'.

And I think there was a thread here discussing balance, and you still ought to balance the crank. You'll drop the bobweight by around 60 grams with these pistons.

I know it's small potatoes but when I built my 273, I checked the ratio and ended up with 9.68. I usually run 91 octane but have put lower grades in without pinging. I think the closed chambers of the 273 heads and the chamber polish Woody did on my heads is the key. The domed pistons may help as well. The domes are slightly above deck.

11_14_0.jpgcrop.jpg150.jpg

041900951350[01].jpg

Last edited:
I know it's small potatoes but when I built my 273, I checked the ratio and ended up with 9.68. I usually run 91 octane but have put lower grades in without pinging. I think the closed chambers of the 273 heads and the chamber polish Woody did on my heads is the key. The domed pistons may help as well.

View attachment 1715518679
Yes, you have some quench/squish effect going on with the closed chambers, and polishing is an old trick to help.

-
Back