Is building a stroked 318 better than a stroked 340/360?

-
Just to be clear:

I'm certain there's a difference. I just think it's a minor difference. Definitely trumped by displacement, airflow, cam, bla bla bla...

People get so hung up it's crazy. Honestly I really don't care what people believe.
:icon_fU:

love the info and ideas on this build. have some updated info:
A friend of mine needed a stock 318 for a driver. I'm going to give him one of my engines. The same friend has a contact with a 360 engine I can get for nearly noting and has speed parts on it. Decided to use the 360 block, pan and use all new parts in it. The remaining 360 parts are going on the other 318 and see how much power we can build with. Supposably the 360 has been sitting in a garage with big valves and a unknown cam swap. When I get it, I'll post it and pics here, along with the build info.
So the whole thread has been bullshit? Or was it just bait and switch?

Maybe the thread should have been called, ( Should I debate building a 318 base 4 inch stroke motor until I find a cheap or free 360 block to build a 4 inch stroke motor?)

Its kinda like saying should I use my free 915 J heads till I can find a set of cheap trickflow heads?

Sounds as if the OP has always known the answer to his question.

Just saying.

So the whole thread has been bullshit? Or was it just bait and switch?

Maybe the thread should have been called, ( Should I debate building a 318 base 4 inch stroke motor until I find a cheap or free 360 block to build a 4 inch stroke motor?)

Its kinda like saying should I use my free 915 J heads till I can find a set of cheap trickflow heads?It more like should dump $1500 into my free j head

Sounds as if the OP has always known the answer to his question.

Just saying.
He ask if building a stroked 318 is better than stroked 340/360 how has eventually going 360 betray you/us ?

He knew and you knew and I knew 6 pages ago what the answer was.

Should I build a 318 base 4 inch stroke motor until I find a cheap or free 360 block to build a 4 inch stroke motor?

That was what the question should have been.

I do not think anybody has been betrayed so I can not answer that question for you.

I don't get the big deal? He was thinking 390 and it seems like a deal came up, now eventually gonna go 408 I guess. IDK Just seems like a weird thing to complain about.

Last edited:
All other factors being equal, the 318 based engine will make the least torque, followed by the 360 based engine, followed by the 340 based engine.

But run what you brung.

And make sure to run long rods with custom pistons and/or custom offset crank because if you're not doing that you're leaving "free" power on the table.

All other factors being equal, the 318 based engine will make the least torque, followed by the 360 based engine, followed by the 340 based engine.

But run what you brung.

And make sure to run long rods with custom pistons and/or custom offset crank because if you're not doing that you're leaving "free" power on the table.
Power isn't free if you are paying for long rods with custom pistons or a offset crank. :poke: :poke::poke:

But run what you brung.

And yet and still, YOU personally chose to go to a longer stroke. Not much really, just .210 more stroke. You did that because it affected the character of the engine.

And not just a little bit or you wouldn’t have done it. Can’t you see the hypocrisy in your arguement?

You can buy a 6.250 rod pretty easy. I think I already posted the math on what that does to R/S ratio.

So it does matter. Even to you. Yet you argue and argue and argue it doesn’t matter. You want proof but you already posted proof it does matter.

Just to add to the conversation.. The reason I did the 318 is because... I had a 1968 block, everyone else is doing 360 stroker engines, and mine actually made 450 H.P. and 490 FPT.

Effects of various engine changes on power production...

[Turbo, N2O, Blower] >> [Headflow, Cam, displacement] > [matched intake, exhaust system, higher compression] > [gasket matching, port polishing, fancy carburetor or EFI] >> [piston coatings, port dimples, DLC coatings, rod ratio optimization] >= 0

Items in the list may go up or down a category but nothing significant.

update. Still need an engine for my 1941 Plymouth, so I'm still going to build a stroked 318, just won't go into the Duster. My goal was to get information on a stroked teen' motor and got the questions needed. Though it was not originally set in stone, it was more than informative and gave me more insight into the build. Whichever motor I start on first, I'll post it here so we can all get some info for future builds.

ps, I didn't get the 360 today, hurt my back and out for the holidays.

update. Still need an engine for my 1941 Plymouth, so I'm still going to build a stroked 318, just won't go into the Duster. My goal was to get information on a stroked teen' motor and got the questions needed. Though it was not originally set in stone, it was more than informative and gave me more insight into the build. Whichever motor I start on first, I'll post it here so we can all get some info for future builds.

ps, I didn't get the 360 today, hurt my back and out for the holidays.
Good to know. Keep us posted on the build and we hope your back get's to feeling better.

Just to add to the conversation.. The reason I did the 318 is because... I had a 1968 block, everyone else is doing 360 stroker engines, and mine actually made 450 H.P. and 490 FPT.
Those are some good numbers. What is your combo? Did you post a build thread?

318s are low buck guy engines... if someone is seriously spending money to make power it makes sense to go 360 IMO. Most 318 arguments come back to cost at some point I'm sure someone mentioned it in this thread but I'm not going back through to find it. It is Irony to talk sinking money into a 318 but then state the initial cost of a 360 as a reason to not build the 360. In other words to take a free 318 and dump money into it to prove some sort of point is moot when for a few dollars more you can have even more powwer with the 360.

318s are low buck guy engines... if someone is seriously spending money to make power it makes sense to go 360 IMO. Most 318 arguments come back to cost at some point I'm sure someone mentioned it in this thread but I'm not going back through to find it. It is Irony to talk sinking money into a 318 but then state the initial cost of a 360 as a reason to not build the 360. In other words to take a free 318 and dump money into it to prove some sort of point is moot when for a few dollars more you can have even more powwer with the 360.
It's because you can (build a teen) It's all about the underdog. I have a free roller cam teen in the garage and can pick up a complete 360 for $500. I could eat up that $500 in a real hurry trying to make equal power with the 318. It's not about the power or the economics of it. It's the fun of making "some" power from a engine that never had much.

It doesn't have to make sense to you, build your cars your way and others build it their way.
If we were people that followed the norm we wouldn't be building mopars in the 1st place.

It doesn't have to make sense to you, build your cars your way and others build it their way.
If we were people that followed the norm we wouldn't be building mopars in the 1st place.
I just paid 900 for a 318 so I am obligated to do something with it.

On the upside, It has a forged 4 inch crank and eagles rods with Icon pistons and it is a late model roller block.
by the looks of it so far, All It will need is a freshening.

It would be pretty expensive to go 340 or 360 at this point, even though I have both on the shop floor.

since I have both 318/360 motors laying around, I’d choose 360 to stroke. You stroke a motor for more power. More cubes, easier it is to make power. Now if I found a deal on on a stroker 318 kit, I’d go with that.

Nicks garage dyno’d a stroker 318. Got some nice power.

I wonder what the power numbers would be with long tube headers.

It's because you can (build a teen) It's all about the underdog.
I don't see a 318 as an underdog necessarily, you look at a 400 hp 318 vs 360 it's similar parts, main difference is a 360 is gonna operate 3000/3500-6000 rpm stall to shift points and a 318 gonna need 500-700 rpms more, 3500/4000-6500+ rpm, requiring more stall gear less low rpm driveability, if those things are a non issue or maybe even desired. Then there's little reason not to build a 318, I see it more of a design issue than a capability one.

Last edited:
I don't see a 318 as an underdog necessarily, you look at a 400 hp 318 vs 360 it's similar parts, main difference is a 360 is gonna operate 3000/3500-6000 rpm stall to shift points and a 318 gonna need 500-700 rpms more, 3500/4000-6500+ rpm, requiring more stall gear less low rpm driveability, if those things are a non issue or maybe even desired. Then there's little reason not to build a 318, I see it more of a design issue than a capability one.
But you knew what I meant. The smaller engine is the underdog because it has to work harder to get the same output than the bigger cube engine does.

-
Back