Is it just ME???

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Or, are these center sections getting heavier all the time???

All I know is, I have bench-pressed my last one into a housing! The three months I spent in the hospital last year seems to have robbed me of whatever strength a 70-year-old geezer is supposed to have, so, I made myself a little "cheater" to install the 8 3/4" third members of various ratios, into my rear axle housing. I have a 2.73; a 3.55; and a 4.10, and they all have their place, but they don't change themselves...

So, now I can install or remove any or all of them without having to lift anything heavier than an electric impact tool!

The red and white jack is a Harbor Freight tranny jack; the orange thing that looks like a first-year, junior high metal-working project is my own contraption.

I made a sling to help lift the center section off the floor, and bought a 4' step ladder and attached a small hand-cranked winch with some light-duty cable with a hook on the end, to the winch to support the third member in the air, while I attach it to the bolt holes on top of the pinion snout (pinion snubber attachment holes). The third bolt is threaded into the parent metal of the bracket, and works to level the 3rd member when you are stabbing it into the housing, so the bolts will be at the right angle to start easily.

Of course, you have to remove the third-member that's already in place, first, but that's just the reverse of what I just described.

Leave it to me to get things backwards... lol!

Anyway, I just thought that if there's anyone else who has trouble lifting these things into place, they might want to duplicate this; it was very easy to build; 3/16" steel plate, and two lengths of 2" X 3" steel angle iron (1/8" thickness.)

There are, as you can see, three bolts on top, and 4 in the bottom to keep it in place on the jack pad. I just drilled 4 holes into the jack pad and ran some 3/8" bolts with nuts on them, at matching locations out the bottom of the jig, so when you set the jig on the jack pad, the bolts go into the waiting holes; there's no reason to bolt it down; it's not going to go anywhere...

A different jack could be used, of course, but these are pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.

Any questions, just email me at [email protected]

Have a good weekend!!!

100_3334.jpg

100_3336.jpg

100_3333-2.jpg

100_3337.jpg

100_3325.jpg

Though, I hope not to swap my pumpkin too often. Thats a great thought Bill!. I appreciate the post, I'll remember it for the future !

That's why old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. Good job!

lol... I always use this same old floor jack I'f had since I was 18... Thye sit nice and level in the cup, and it's low enough to roll under the car. I'm nmowhere near 70 and these friggin things are too heavy. I can do it by hand and "curl" it into the housing... but I dont like doing t that way. I think thats slick...

Hey...Bill I have the same harbor freight jack...and must admit getting hard for me also...I will keep this in mind for a winter project...guess you are installing the 4.10 gears and your new axles? Keep us posted on what the car runs when you take it to the track again? Did you ever find out anymore about the shift points on the 904 tranny governor weights? Tim

Bill that,s a nice piece!Where have you been the last 50 years?I could have used that piece a few times.Curling those in,is a chore!I wish I had 1 of those for my last install.Great idea!I,m only 45,but have worked overhead for 17 years,can barely lift my arms past my shoulders now.They,re heavy!

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys; I figured everybody would just laugh at my crude efforts at fabrication... You can see why I failed shop class twice... :angry7:

I'll be sure and let you all know if it collapses or rolls off the jack when I try to elevate it to "working height." LOL!

I'll be taking this thing to the strip as soon as I get my new slicks (M-T, 9"-wide bias-ply) and it cools down a little. I'm not going out there if it's 98 degrees....

I do appreciate all the kind words. You guys are the best!

>>>"Did you ever find out anymore about the shift points on the 904 tranny governor weights?"

No, but I did ask Billy Lynn (a very knowledgeable racing tranny guy in Searcy, AR) about the 5500 rpm automatic shift setup he put in a friend's car and he promised to get back to me with some part numbers.

I'm still waitng, but I m sure he'll call me when he finds out something useful.

So, in a word, "no," but I'm working on it... stay tuned!

I`m convinced that it`s just that gravitational pull is stronger now than when I was young. That looks like some good ole American ingenuity. Nice work!

I believe you're right about the gravitational pull.....:angry7:

This was a matter of "necessity is the mother of invention!" It's just a little on the "crude" side, that's all. Thanks for the compliment, though. My next version will look a little better... I hope! LOL!

I forgot to include a picture of the jack "IN ACTION."

I used my half-inch ratchet to raise it for the photo. but when I'm actually using it to install a center section, I'll probably use an impact tool.

100_3342.jpg

The older the wiser some time's Bill :-D And I see wisdom at work there:cheers:
I get all lug nuts loose "or what ever I am doing" then back up and walk off the strain:sad1: when I have got to enjoy working on my car with out paying for it for the next 3 days.
That would be the way for me to go :thumleft: unless you have a good gear head for a son that can and will take care of the changing out a chunk for you and knows what he is doing :rock: Yes I am a father of a good gear head :-D
Great Idea and using your wisdom and taking a problem on yourself=D>

Great Idea

That's a great-looking jack..... I like the adjustability of it!

I think I need one of those.... LOL!

Maybe we all do...

Thanks for the photos!

Bill

Memile...

Unfortunately, I had two girls instead of boys, and they were never much into heaving 75 pounds of cast iron into place in an axle housing, so I did it myself.... until I decided I needed a little help.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the consideration!!!

I need to make one of each.The last time I did either the tranny or the center,damn near dislocated some body parts.You ever hyper-extend a leg trying to reach and pump up the floor jack?Oucchh!!Nice ideas guys!:read2:

Geez..that center section looks familiar now get it in Bill,and let us know how it goes..

Good Job BILL. I Just Changed The 3rd Member Out Of Mine, They Do Get Heavier With Time. I Happen To Have A Old Cheapo Tranny Jack That I Will Convert, Thanks To You. Also, Since I Met You At Centerville In January, I Have Installed My Powertrain Into A 1971 Demon. We Will Be Racing At Salisaw, Ok. This Saturday. If Your Not Doing Anything, Come On Out.

Stroked 340, I plan on doing just that! My car ended up running more mph in the 1,000-ft. than I had anticipated it would (106+) so, I had to buy some taller (28") slicks. I had a crush sleeve eliminator installed so now, I guess I'll just see if I can break those carrier bearing caps...:cheers: LOL!

Mike, thanks for the kind words. You have a pretty healthy-looking helper, so you shouldn't need one of these old-folks tools, as long as he's around!
You're not very old, yourself...

Gonna be aboiut 100 degrees at Salisaw; I think I'll "pass." But try me when it cools down; I MAY have a trailer by then... Salisaw would be fun!

Good stuff there, Bill.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

and, thank you, Fishbreath, for the kind comment!

I have to drive (no trailer, yet) 60 miles one-way, to the strip, and if I break the drivetrain, I'm "stuck" there...

I'm trying to make this ol' tub as bullet-proof as I can:
1. New driveshaft with larger, 7290 u-joints replacing the 7260's in there, now
2. Moser haevy-duty axles (11/16" studs) replacing the stock ones
3. 489 case 4.10 with crush-sleeve eliminator installed
4. driveshaft loop installed
6. Six-thousand rpm chip in an MSD soft-touch rev limiter

Got a new set of M-T "real" (not D.O.T.) slicks 9"-wide; 28" tall

I'm pretty much ready to take this thing to Centerville (1,000-ft.) for some shakedown runs, if the weather will cooperate.

Right now, it's 99 degrees... not going to venture out into THAT!!!

I'll let you guys know if any of this stuff works like it's supposed to...

this crap gets heavier every year. i think the earths magnetic field is getting stronger. nice fab job guys.

Daredevil said:

>>>"I think the earth's magnetic field gets stronger every year!"

I'll second that!!! :cheers: Even my bathroom scales say things are getting heavier (ME!)

Oh, woe..

-
Back