Is it smart???

-
Welcome, Cliff. This is a pretty good place to learn. but not from me. I am a rank newbie; I have listened to the experienced racers here (there are several) and learned a few things, though.

I'm gettin' there...... :)

For a rank newbie,you sure do have a sexy exhaust manifold !!! I've been enjoying Bills threads,as the continue to drive me nuckin futs as to which way to go with my 6 !!! This will be my 3rd /6,and I've enjoyed the hell out of the other two !!! But now I'm torn between what I know works and had a blast with,or as I always proclaim "Dare to be Different",and the Turbo certainly fits that bill !!Damn I hate to have to make decisions !!!:blob:

hi from Australia, and great thread.
:wav:

i'm a committed slant-nut, and am looking at my current build in stages.

first will be naturally aspirated with the speco dual single-barrel manifold (running a pair of carter BBS's initially - there's plenty of meat there to modify it to suit dual twin-barrel carbies), extractors and a cam of around the .260 region (not too high on the lift - don't want valves and pistons saying how-de-doodee)

but my future plans involve NOS squirts and . . . a supercharger.

yeah, you're all talking turbo, but what about the 'other white meat'?

there's the eaton M90 (ideally set up as a side-draught with a large weber DCOE maybe, to avoid cutting the bonnet) - this unit is used regularly here on the GM (Holden) V6's

and slightly smaller in scale there is the toyota SC14 (or the baby of the group, the SC12) as used on some of their screaming little four-pots. (since i'm building for a dual-carb set up, how dumb would a dual SC12 set-up be? he he he)

there's another VC sedan (that's a '67 valiant, yo) here in oz running an M90 and hitting 11's.
comparatively, there's plenty of turbo /6's running around. like, turbo /6? it's so mainstream, man.

I like the idea of a roots blower better myself. If I decide to go forced induction next time, that will be what I do probably.

roots, vortech, eaton etc - the fact is a slant. the question is turbo or supercharger.

here's a hot side-draught intake someone had built over on this side of the pond (i think?) from a stock 1 barrel. set up for EFI, but i'm sure much fun could be had by putting NOS nozzles in instead and bolting a blower on.

partsmanifoldend.jpg

mmmmmmmm. my pants just went tight right across the front.

For a rank newbie,you sure do have a sexy exhaust manifold !!! I've been enjoying Bills threads,as the continue to drive me nuckin futs as to which way to go with my 6 !!! This will be my 3rd /6,and I've enjoyed the hell out of the other two !!! But now I'm torn between what I know works and had a blast with,or as I always proclaim "Dare to be Different",and the Turbo certainly fits that bill !!Damn I hate to have to make decisions !!!:blob:

Thanks for the nice words, but all I did on that header was buy the parts; Freddie did ALL of the design/cut-and-try work (He can't weld because he has a pacemaker/defibrilater), but he used masking tape to hold the pieces in place until he could get it to a TIG guy... I had NOTHING to do with it!!!

Ryan's '66 Valiant is turbocharged, and has a 727 transmission, which probably hurts his e.t. .15-sec, which means his street-driven car would probably run 10.50s (127 mph!) with no other changes than to switch to a 904.

I am not aware of any non-turbo cars in his weight range (2600-pounds) going that fast or quick.

I may just not know about them... if that's the case, please enlighten me. I don't want to continue to labor under a mis-conception.
I am not aware of any

Attachments

• headerbyfred.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 164
I like the idea of a roots blower better myself. If I decide to go forced induction next time, that will be what I do probably.

You're a smart guy; I know that from reading your posts.

Positive displacement blowers (at least, the Rootes type; dunno about the screw compressors) have a well-documented reputation for heating up the charge and generally showing less efficiency than turbochargers.

What's the appeal?

i'll use this as a tease: "Peak HP was 319.1 @ 5500 RPM and peak torque was 340.3 @ 4250 RPM. Not bad for 246 cubes run at 10% under. "

http://www.225.ca/tech/s6rn04.htm

rn0010s.jpg

i mean, how can a super charger not be super awesome?

though we have a lot more room on the I/O side of the engine given we sit on the correct side of the vehicle, contrary to your good selves!

You'rew a smart guy; I know that from reading your posts.

Positive displacement blowers (at least, the Rootes type; dunno about the screw compressors) have a well-documented reputation for heating up the charge and generally showing less efficiency than turbochargers.

What's the appeal?

An intercooler..

i'll use this as a tease: "Peak HP was 319.1 @ 5500 RPM and peak torque was 340.3 @ 4250 RPM. Not bad for 246 cubes run at 10% under. "

http://www.225.ca/tech/s6rn04.htm

rn0010s.jpg

i mean, how can a super charger not be super awesome?

though we have a lot more room on the I/O side of the engine given we sit on the correct side of the vehicle, contrary to your good selves!

That's cool. But it would be cooler stickin up through the driver's side of the hood.

-
Back