is my car in any way special/rare or more valuable than any other? 70 340.

-
Ok, I apologize but I am old I guess ( and had a few pops). If you know what you are doing and you don't completley destroy the geometry and feel of the the car it your choice. I 've see a lot of young guys desrtoy really nice cars. Ever seen a Road Runner with an aluninum wing riveted to the trunk. I have,, puked but It's your build . By the way , with all respect for Boyd, A lot of rod people hated what he was doing. Boydsters were not a cool thing for a lot of guys.

No worries... trust me, I am the last guy you will find bolting on some nasty spoiler. I try to do everything in good taste... but that does still mean my taste.

I like my cars to be clean... door handles draw your attention to that point too easily. It should flow nicely without interruption. I'm not going to chop the roof or anything insane like that.

The best advice I ever got - "listen to what everyone has to say, then do as you damn well please!" Its your car, if your enjoying it, then it is serving its purpose.

Great advice, great advice.

Good eye. The blower was installed and the car was re-painted in 1980.

I started on polishing the blower... but it is a lot of work.

I'll toss in my 2 cents.
This car represents what was done back in the day, a 10 year old car with a blower, sbp centerlines with bias plies....yoiks! i'll bet it handled great and was easy to drive then! The trend back then was to customize and modify, nobody really cared much for originality then, why are people so concerned about it now? It's the almighty dollar. While i agree with the fact that it would be probably worth more if it was returned to stock, and i surely wouldn't modify a rare car like yours if it were a survivor, it's not the case here.
I agree to do what you want and don't worry about it! The only thing that i would suggest is to make it safe and put the roll bar and the subframe connectors are a must even if you don't want to install them. BTW, i think that it was a law back in the early '80s to paint as many cars burgandy as you could! My brother painted his '71 440 six pack challenger that in '82 from curious yellow and chromed everything. That's back in the day when that was the thing to do. It took him a lot to undo it 15 years later when he changed his mind.
Food for thought my friend.
I really like your handle, pldOvr, it's a good one.:-D
Finally, welcome to the site!

I'll toss in my 2 cents.
This car represents what was done back in the day, a 10 year old car with a blower, sbp centerlines with bias plies....yoiks! i'll bet it handled great and was easy to drive then! The trend back then was to customize and modify, nobody really cared much for originality then, why are people so concerned about it now? It's the almighty dollar. While i agree with the fact that it would be probably worth more if it was returned to stock, and i surely wouldn't modify a rare car like yours if it were a survivor, it's not the case here.
I agree to do what you want and don't worry about it! The only thing that i would suggest is to make it safe and put the roll bar and the subframe connectors are a must even if you don't want to install them. BTW, i think that it was a law back in the early '80s to paint as many cars burgandy as you could! My brother painted his '71 440 six pack challenger that in '82 from curious yellow and chromed everything. That's back in the day when that was the thing to do. It took him a lot to undo it 15 years later when he changed his mind.

Thanks... hey you're in Alberta as well... I'm in Edmonton.

Funny thing about that story is that my car was also yellow... not exactly my favorite color on these cars.

Thanks for the welcome.

I think it`s more like "pulled over" as in what the police did to him. :burnout:
Oh, went right over my head! Lol. I was lookin at al the $ in his Beemer and ... well you know. None of my business anyway.... I can relate to Pulled Over!!

pld, unless I missed it, what are the specs on your motor? Feel free to be as detailed as possible (ex. compression, cam specs, head specs/flow #s, etc.). I am even more curious to know more about the blower setup (and as someone asked on the previous page ... what are you running it at)? Who is the mnfr? Are you under/overdriving it?

Wow,
Quite the thread. I am an old fart and keep it to stock kinda guy. But the bottom line is as stated; It's your car, enjoy it. I have undid(?) several cars from the 80's and UGH is all I can say. The people that have attacked you in here really let me down. I love this site and the people involved for the most part. I will build my mopars my way and you your way and see ya at a show. -END-

Later,
Bruce B.

Hi and Welcome...
This car could have gone either way...returned back to factory or modified more. It's kinda neat the way it is....80's hot rod. Now 'old school' with the blower through the hood and centerlines. Your theme might be alittle off by going with the latest 'pro touring' wheels/brakes/suspension and body mods but still retaining the 80's supercharged engine? ...these type of cars tend to run the latest fuel injected Hemi with overdrive transmission.....Speaking of Transmission, sure your Dart is RARE with a 3 speed manual...BUT how Desireable is it? In this day of 5 and 6 speed overdrives you would get run over on the freeway with a 3 speed. (I own a 70 Duster 340 3 speed so I know!...it's also a Panther Pink car painted Maroon in the 80's!!!!)

Where did you buy it? Haven't seen it around at shows.....cool car anyway you look at it.
I'd be interested in buying that crappy 'factory' hood, rad and seats off you....I'm just down the street.:clock:

I'll toss in my 2 cents.
Last time I saw that Challenger it was on Ebay....and Wes wasn't the seller. Wasn't that engine out of a brown V code car? Think it used to be around too years ago.....

Just read through this whole thread. I like your car and bottom line is you have a MOPAR!!!!! I agree with the it's YOUR car and YOU decide what you want to do to it theory. I am just glad to see that there is another old Mopar that is receiving love and not ending up in the crusher. Have fun with your Dart and enjoy it all you can. Life is too short to ***** and moan about what someone else is doing with THEIR vehicle. Keep it safe and have fun!!!!!!!

I just read throught the whole thing too. It's your car so you can do as you please. I have a question though.

How do you know the car was originally a 3 speed?

The reason I ask is that, if you're making an assumption that it's been converted based on the sloppy way the floorpan is cut where the floor hump is, all 4 speed Mopars came like that from the factory, no extra charge! :-D

Hi and Welcome...
This car could have gone either way...returned back to factory or modified more. It's kinda neat the way it is....80's hot rod. Now 'old school' with the blower through the hood and centerlines. Your theme might be alittle off by going with the latest 'pro touring' wheels/brakes/suspension and body mods but still retaining the 80's supercharged engine? ...these type of cars tend to run the latest fuel injected Hemi with overdrive transmission.....Speaking of Transmission, sure your Dart is RARE with a 3 speed manual...BUT how Desireable is it? In this day of 5 and 6 speed overdrives you would get run over on the freeway with a 3 speed. (I own a 70 Duster 340 3 speed so I know!...it's also a Panther Pink car painted Maroon in the 80's!!!!)

Where did you buy it? Haven't seen it around at shows.....cool car anyway you look at it.
I'd be interested in buying that crappy 'factory' hood, rad and seats off you....I'm just down the street.:clock:

Thanks for the comments.

I picked the car up in Calgary... and I already sold the hood, scoops, seats, and rad.

I know what you mean about the freeway... I have 4.11 gears and they are totally useless.

Right now I'm getting the car ready for the booth. It's dying the shed the two layers of 70/80s paint.

I can't believe this thread is still running. ;)

There is a web site that you can register your VIN # on.
Your VIN # indicates that it was built in Windsor with the "R" signifying that.
If you have the fender tag it would state as to whether it was built for export with a code of "Y05" for export to USA or " Y07" for Canada.
This info can be validated by going on the web and it will decode the fender tag.
On this Dart Registry website Joel Cooper who manages it told me the following:
Total 1970 340 Darts made-13,785
Total for USA export - 10382
3 Speed cars-955
4 Speed cars-4423
Auto trans cars- 5004
On your vin tag it will tell you the trans code and also the color
This may help make your mind up.
The attached photos show my restored # match green 4 speed and a non # match purple 4 speed

IMG_0535 (Small).JPG

GEDC0034 (Small).JPG

Somehow I missed this thread form mid-last-year. Anyway, welcome to the site.
Neat car you have. I recently sold an FJ5 340 3 spd 70 Swinger. It was one of the 955 made with that drivetrain and also it was one of 923 painted that color. Gotta wonder how many of the 955 3 spd cars made were yellow. Probably less than 10% of the 955. I do like to preserve the history and rarity of our beloved Mopars, but, that being said, do with it what you want. if I were you though, here's what I'd do to preserve what you started with.
#1 Register the car in a 340 Dart registry.
#2 Save the numbers matching block, use another 340 or 360 block.
#3 Retain the fender tag on the car, with a copy of it in your safe.
#4 If the drivers side door is original with the VIN sticker on it, use a different door for you project.
#5 Have fun with it.

I could care less about how you build the car, just nice to see another Alberta member and one from Edmonton.

The pure stock mentallity in the mopar world keeps the aftermarket a little slow for new stuff for our cars.

I went for a 70's hot rod look with Cragers and direct connection stuff but being a young guy it's still near impossible to break into a Hobby dominated by guys twice my age.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/stalks/Duster/Duster.html

Just read your thread..

Welcome..

I cannot believe that cat 5 is still the standard..

I like the stock rims on my RAM..

I *cannot * believe that you had to pay 15K for a good rust free car...in last year CDN dollars =) ...you guys live in the land of "no rust"..I have found parts for a 50 year old car that was in a graveyard in your province with out any rust to speak about..

Do what cha want..I have a numbers matching , with build order, no rust , all original that we are going to play with..

Make sure you post pics..

Grassy

-
Back