Is My Cuda Killing Me?

-

symonjester

Reaction score
So I've had the engine and exhaust (as well as electrical, brakes, steering, upholstery, etc...) all rebuilt. However, if I take it for any length of a drive I get bad stomach pains, light headed and stink of fumes. After speaking to 3-4 mechanics they believe the exhaust work was sound but that - SOMEHOW - the tail fumes are coming back into her. Thoughts gang?

So I've had the engine and exhaust (as well as electrical, brakes, steering, upholstery, etc...) all rebuilt. However, if I take it for any length of a drive I get bad stomach pains, light headed and stink of fumes. After speaking to 3-4 mechanics they believe the exhaust work was sound but that - SOMEHOW - the tail fumes are coming back into her. Thoughts gang?

Fumes can come in from the back of the car. The trunk floor, trunk lid, etc.. will let fumes in.
There are a few materials ( like burlap ) that should not be used in interior too.

Does your car have a name, Christine maybe lol. Seriously probably some type of fuel or exhaust leak.

I will assume you have full length tailpipes, if not that is part of the problem.

Do you have all the body plugs in? Should have about 6 in the trunk floor.

Also look at tuning, overly rich will make for a stinky car.

Any rusted out holes in the trunk? Are all the floor plugs in the car? Check the one in the spare tire well. If they're all in place try getting into your trunk with a hammer, shut the lid and look for daylight around the trunk seal. Then "adjust" the lip until it seals. Just don't lock yourself in the trunk LOL
I was getting the same thing from a rusted out hole in the trunk in my Challenger, hopefully it didn't cause short term memory loss....Ahh........what was I just saying??????..........hmmmmm??????

You'll have to send it to my company, "Safety Evaluation INC" for a safety evaluation. IMMEDIATELY strap it to a truck and have it sent out here.

If we ever get it fixed, we'll ship it back.

I will assume you have full length tailpipes, if not that is part of the problem.

Believe it or not, "full length tailpipes" will not cure the problem. If the trunk lid / trunk floor has leaks, it can STILL suck fumes under/ into the car. A badly leaking/ missing trunk seal is classic example

I know…….. That is why I said that I would assume he had tail pipes and gave him 2 options that he could check.

Bingo! Love this site. You guys hit it, opened the trunk and found 4 gapping holes - all were hidden by the boxes of left over parts I have in there from the body work. Brilliant.

Going back to the shop to have them plugged, then burlapped and then carpetted :) Thanks everyone!

Does your car have a name, Christine maybe lol. Seriously probably some type of fuel or exhaust leak.

My wife has named it "Trouble". I wanted to call it "Napolean" and call my recently purchased race bike (R6) "Complex"

Go to ace hardware, buy all the plugs for about $3 and put them in yourself. Don't pay a shop to do it.

2 big plugs go under the spare tire.

But like was mentioned….. The missing plugs could only be part of the problem.

Could also be all the holes in your trunk lid…… This thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=125245

Put some tape on the back side of all those holes.

Notice that all SUV's have wipers on the back window. If you have an SUV you know the back glass unlike a car will not stay clean so you need them. Thats because vehicles driving down the road create a backdraft. I bet your Cuda is pulling the fumes in from a rot hole, missing plug or even a bad seal on your trunk

My Cuda was killing me too. To validate this thread, turned out to be the rusted out trunk floor and bad seals. My wife wouldn't ride in Stinkfish before, but now she does. Thinking of drilling a new set of holes in the trunk floor to solve that problem.

Mine is smelling too. I have an exhaust system which is clamped together and I found that every joint leaks. I'll be getting the whole thing welded soon.

My Cuda was killing me too. To validate this thread, turned out to be the rusted out trunk floor and bad seals. My wife wouldn't ride in Stinkfish before, but now she does. Thinking of drilling a new set of holes in the trunk floor to solve that problem.

I'll donate drill bits!!

You might also check the weather stripping around the deck lid. If it's gone, or deteriorated carbon monoxide can get in that way also.

One thing you all over looked, you also need to check the seals on your tail light housings, fumes can come through there also. Don't for get about the wire for you license plate light. I found that little bastard hangin down like a dingle berry.

Looks like he already found the problem. If anyone else is nauseous check the vent tube that is on the filler tube inside the 1/4. Could be gas fumes too! Little piece of rubber at the top of the filler tube cracks and breaks sometimes.

You might also check the weather stripping around the deck lid. If it's gone, or deteriorated carbon monoxide can get in that way also.

Exactly what I was going to say. I constantly had exhaust smell. I was missing a plug or two in the trunk area and replaced them. Still had the smell, then. a friend of mine that managed a local dealers repair shop told me to change the rear gasket. Problem fixed!

I'm thinking it's running too rich..

Holley carb by any chance?

This the season for the carbs to need attention.

I was getting the same reaction while driving my overly rich, stinky pig until I rejetted and dialed in the carb right.
You will be surprised what simple idle air adjustments will do for this.

Little red wagon exhaust...
dodge-little-red-wagon.jpg

one of those battery operated CO2 sensors might be a good idea to stash in the back seat. Give you a little warning before you pass out and plow into something.

-
Back