Is there a stand alone timing control module

-

mgoblue9798

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
that is compatible with factory mopar ignition? All I see available are the ones that require use of MSD ignition. Thanks.

You could probably use the MegaSquirt MS2 or MS3. Inexpensive, just don't need the fuel control. In addition, you could use the spare I/O's to run an electric cooling fan or something else cool.

There's at least 1 dedicated product but it "may" require a dedicated distributor. I don't pay attention to this stuff because it is so expensive. The ones I've seen, support mgpmike above. You are well on the way to buying an EFI controller by the time you pay for an "ignition only" device. A guy has to wonder, "without EFI, then why?"

There's at least 1 dedicated product but it "may" require a dedicated distributor. I don't pay attention to this stuff because it is so expensive. The ones I've seen, support mgpmike above. You are well on the way to buying an EFI controller by the time you pay for an "ignition only" device. A guy has to wonder, "without EFI, then why?"

I will use it on a 440 RV motor with 413rv heads that I am building. I am pushing the limits of compression for running 87 swill and want to have it to pull some timing if needed. I want the higher compression for efficiency and because it will be a dual fuel motor running on CNG when available.

You could probably use the MegaSquirt MS2 or MS3. Inexpensive, just don't need the fuel control. In addition, you could use the spare I/O's to run an electric cooling fan or something else cool.

I am very hesitant to use an aftermarket setup that cant be easily bypassed or switched back to stock when I might find myself stranded in the middle of no where 1000 miles from home in my RV.

How reliable is the megasquirt stuff? Is it difficult for a complete novice tuning the set up?

Last edited:
MegaSquirt started out as a college thesis project in 1996. By 2001 Bowling & Grippo worked out the majority of the bugs -- MS2. It has evolved over the past 20 years, so it is a mature technology. Reliability falls in your court. The MS2 can be purchased pre-assembled, or as a kit. If you build it yourself, you're responsible for reliability. The only thing I really don't like about them is the DB-25 connectors. That's PC stuff, not automotive. They have a forum with a wealth of good information, pages of tutorials to walk you through, and it's open source if you want to tweak it. It comes with a functional (albeit not very sexy) dashboard that requires either the older DB-9 RS-232 connector, or a USB-to-UART converter (FTDI) to connect to USB.

MSD used to make a stand-alone unit, pn 8680 I think. I see now that they say it must be used with their controls. I bet they just say that because of the connector style. But IDK that. I would call them.

MSD used to make a stand-alone unit, pn 8680 I think. I see now that they say it must be used with their controls. I bet they just say that because of the connector style. But IDK that. I would call them.

Thanks AJ.

I bought one to use on my car, but I sold the car before I ever got to try it. You can pull out up to 15 degrees.

MSD timing.jpg

-
Back