Is there an easy way to adjust wiper arms on a 65?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for my new neutral safety switch I'm getting some other things on my 65 Valiant in operation. Everything actually works except the radio. But what I'm messing with now is the wiper system. The motor is good, we bench tested it when I had it out. I installed new pivot seals, new wiper refills and that was it. But getting the park switch timing correct and the wiper arms adjusted is almost impossible. The 65 Chrysler service manual instructions for the Park Switch timing make no sense to me at all. Is there an easier to adjust the wiper arms? If I put run the switch and then turn of the switch and install the arms vertical at their highest wipe pattern when I turn the switch back on the driver's side wiper goes off of the body. Now if I run the switch through the cycle and turn it off and then put the arms on the bottom of the windshield where they should be parked and start the switch again they will go onto the hood. I also tried every position between the bottom of the windshield to the edge of the windshield. I could only get it to park at the top of the wipe pattern without it going off the windshield or too far down, but it parks in the vertical position. I gave up and quit for the day. Any articles or other instructions I could try and follow.

That's a strange one. When I messed with mine I plugged in the motor and cycled it through a couple on off sequences and then turned them off. Then I put the wiper arms on the posts in the parked position. I didn't have the linkage disconnected though. tmm

I took the pivots off to change the seal around them because I know how they tend to leak. I also took the motor off to test it. So everything was removed but everything appears to be on correct. Is there a way to look at the link under the dash and manually park it? This is the variable speed wipers and it said something about that it reverses when starts up again unlike the single speed wipers. I didn't really understand the technology of it.

My thought would be that the arms need to be switched on the bell-crank. Aways start with wiper arms off. Mark the pivot with a marker, then watch what happens at slow speed. Try a few cycle,s if all looks correct install blade arms.

The tips of the wiper blades should point to the passenger side when parked. I am saying this because on some car I worked on, I swapped position and had problems.

I've seen a couple of cases where longer than stock blades had been installed. I can only guess that their part store didn't have the correct length in stock. Anyway... If the blade should be a couple inches too long you wont be able to keep the end of the blade on the glass.

I've seen a couple of cases where longer than stock blades had been installed. I can only guess that their part store didn't have the correct length in stock. Anyway... If the blade should be a couple inches too long you wont be able to keep the end of the blade on the glass.

I agree with Redfish, check your blade size... should solve your problem.

These are the original Anco arms with 13" refills so they should be correct.

001-4.jpg

Above is a variable speed wiper motor on a 67 Dart. Did you open the round cover that pencil is pointing to? If so you may have changed the wiper park location. If not, never mind the following explanation.

That round cover’s clocked position determines the park location of wiper blades. The three raised clocking marks on the left side of the cover near point of pencil indicate or define any fine adjustments not unlike the markings on an electric choke.

To adjust, back off the screws securing the cover, and incrementally reposition it until correct park location is found.

It's been about a year ago but I don't think I took it apart. I think I just had it bench tested to make sure it works. The 65 manual notes that "When adjusting the timing of the variable speed park switch, note that the variable speed motor rotates in reverse at the time the park switch opens. "Early" and "Late" directions are therefore opposite to single speed motors." So I don't really understand what it's talking about. Maybe that's what's confusing me. My variable speed wiper on this model has two speeds a low and a high. It and the wiper transmission are all located under the dash so it is easier to see what the system is doing. But I don't know if I put something back wrong or I'm shutting the wiper switch off and installing the arms in the wrong position. Definetly the most complicated adjustment I've done on a car.

I could be wrong but I dont think the standard 1 and 2 speed motors will run reverse to the park cam. Easy way to find out.. turn the motor on and off within a a 1/4 stroke and see if it will reverse or complete the pass/revolution.

-
Back