Is this 408 worth it?

-

Mopar40

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart with a 360 that I've had for about 7 years. Runs good but like everyone else, I would like more power for cheap. This truck got posted about 15 miles for me and I think I may be able to get it for around $1000 bucks. Has a 408 stroker in it. Couple things. You think it would be a easy swap for me? will I be able to shut my hood with the high rise? and does it make a difference that the truck is a 4 speed and mine is an automatic? Goal is to swap motors and then sell the truck again for about the same price? Whats your thoughts?
http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3668965742.html

He didn't spend $15K on that engine. Not looking at the rest of it.

that trk is ingood shape if he can prove its a stroker motor then yea do it if i was in your area id be all over that,truck is worth a grand with a non stroker, jmo

The truck is worth 1k for sure if its running. I would want proof of the engine being a stroker for sure. Why not ask if you can pull the pan and see the crank. Buy looking at the truck I doubt this guy could afford 15k for a house let alone a truck.

Almost looks a little too good to be true. Definitely proceed with caution. Got to unload it to pay bills, but will take, what I assume is guns in trade? Maybe he only needs one bullet? :D

a 360 will give you more than 400 hp for 15k in motor he couldhave had a 572 bb 700 hp

I agree I think he meant it has 15,000 mi on rebuild,Joe

You could certainly part it for a lot more that 1,500.00.
I would not be afraid to jump on this one.

Give your Duster more gearing, if it has 3.23 gears, give it 3.91's. If it doesn't even have 3.23 gears-like if it has 2.73, 2.94 gears, then that is the problem right there. Built right, the 360 should move that light Duster pretty darn good.

I love the truck - i have a mutt that's dressed as a '78 and I use mine - it's no show queen. It's a plow, a woods truck, a dump run truck, etc. The issue is the engine and to me, the engine is not worth $1000 and buying and then reselling after you swap engines seems like a lot of effort. If you have a 360 and want more steam buy $1000 in bolt ons and power adders for the 360 you have. At least it's a known quantity.
IMO - internal bead locks are cool, but spacers and a Dana 44 front show a lack of understanding of just how a hard driving truck works. if it was a 408 and 4sp I could spit that 44 out pretty quickly if I was wheeling with it.

I have to agree with moper if you want more power than what your current motor has then put that $1000 into it instead of buying a unknown motor. For all you know he has a actual stroker motor that looks nice, but what about the cylinder walls and other internals you can't see. If he has numerous receipts and a lengthy summit account summery then why isn't he wanting more out of a number matching truck with a built motor. Plus if he needs to pay bills then why is he willing to trade?

I dig the truck too....Is that a Colorado licence plate on the front???....strange. I'd say its worth a look if it is relatively close.

I would jump on that b/c it seems like an amazing deal, but I'd also proceed with caution. $1500 OBO is almost a give-away in my book.

probably ragged the crap out of that truck (and engine)

let the buyer beware!

you would be better off spending money on your own rebuild

take a look at the fuel filter, headers, alternator

they were probably new when the engine was rebuilt. at the very least they would have put a fresh fuel filter on it. the condition of the parts surrounding the "fresh" or 15k build speaks volumes

Just to wrap this thread up, I stopped into a local shop here today to ask about a motorhome 360 a guy had and there was this truck. Guy said he got it for $1200 and drove it all the way back over the hill from Gold Hill. Said he replaced one spark plug wire and it ran great. He hasn't pulled the pan yet to verify the stroker kit, but he did get a stack of receipts. He's putting the motor in a Dart GT and putting an old 318 in the truck and flipping it.

-
Back