Is this a decent intake manifold?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to maybe reuse this intake on my mild 318 build.
I'm not going to spend a lot of time over 5000 RPM. ....mostly want bottom end torque.

I couldn't find any ID on it.....

All the charts I found online, none of the numbers I saw started with number 4 ??????

So is it worth getting it sand blasted and either I'll paint it or get it powder coated. ....

Freaking thing is HEAVY. ...lol

Jeff

My books go to 74. It is a later model EGR manifold. (note the block off plate)

How much do they want for it?

Oh...duh...I should have mentioned I already have it. It was on my 318 when i bought my Cuda.....

If it's a turd, I'll have to buck up for an Edelbrock or something. But if it's decent I'll save my money for bigger needs.....

Jeff

It is a later '70's intake. It looks like someone opened up the carb mounting area because all OEM TQ intakes look similar.

Mopar had decent intakes, but the earliest ones are better. An aluminum intake like a Performer (non-RPM) or M-1 dual plane is in your target RPM range and may help a little. Biggest benefit would be the weight savings.

It is a later '70's intake. It looks like someone opened up the carb mounting area because all OEM TQ intakes look similar.

Mopar had decent intakes, but the earliest ones are better. An aluminum intake like a Performer (non-RPM) or M-1 dual plane is in your target RPM range and may help a little. Biggest benefit would be the weight savings.

Weight savings. ...this thing is a TANK.
I swear it's 40 or 50 lbs!

I would and have ditched many of those in favor of a 2176 performer or 8007 weiand. I have picked them used for under 100 bucks.

It is a good intake. The factory's 4bbl. Is really very good for a street performer. It is possible to run 12's with them and stock heads . (Ported heads) The fast guys run 11's with factory iron intakes. There tricked out, ported, center divider milled.

Changing to a Edelbrock Performer will not help.

The fast guys run 11's with factory iron intakes. There tricked out, ported, center divider milled.

And they also run stroked engines,roller cams, ported to the max heads, carbs with tons of money invested,they're not running 11's because of that intake only:D:D

That is a good note to make for the general public and new guy. Excellent addition. Most consider that a "No Brain-er." It is amazing how some people will not think about the rest of the combo. Most of them are ricers with lots-o-stickers to add HP. Glad your here to keep the guard up!:cheers:

Run what you have and keep your eyes open for a deal on a used aluminum intake.Then you can do a back to back test and let us know.

It is a good intake. The factory's 4bbl. Is really very good for a street performer. It is possible to run 12's with them and stock heads . (Ported heads) The fast guys run 11's with factory iron intakes. There tricked out, ported, center divider milled.

Changing to a Edelbrock Performer will not help.

Rumblefish,speaks the truth.. Spend money ,where it's needed... Seen 340's run low 11's with a sniff of N2O, & mid 12's off the spray( with similar) ..It's a pretty good manifold, Mopar didn't make garbage like GM's low end stuff.

If you don't mind the weight run it. I ran a 273 4 barrel intake on my 318 for a while an it ran great! I agree Mopar cast iron stuff is excellent minus the iron part.

that intake will work good. legal stockers with factory cast iron manifolds can run very low 11 sec and high 10 sec @ 120 mph!!!!! no n20 either. stock stroke engines.

that intake will work good. legal stockers with factory cast iron manifolds can run very low 11 sec and high 10 sec @ 120 mph!!!!! no n20 either. stock stroke engines.

and those engines cost about 15k.........lol

and those engines cost about 15k.........lol

But it's still possible without "stroked engines,roller cams, ported to the max heads, carbs with tons of money invested", and probably well under 15k with a well thought out combo.
A lot of performance can be found just from tuning what one has - engine/drivetrain/chassis.

But it's still possible without "stroked engines,roller cams, ported to the max heads, carbs with tons of money invested", and probably well under 15k with a well thought out combo.
A lot of performance can be found just from tuning what one has - engine/drivetrain/chassis.

Don't you get tired of typing that? I know I do.

I don't get people spends thousands of dollars on parts but won't dyno or track tune there combos to get everything out of them.

Last two posts, more than agreed to.. IWho I used to work for,a engine builder: He must have made 60-80 quarter mile passes, and several air bleed/metering block/other sh*t to a new out of the box King Demon. It took 6-8 weeks, but it hauled absolute *** & nuts,when done.

hi, sorry to say our legal 340 stocker didn't cost 15,000. it runs low 11 sec. with cast iron intake. just have to know where to find the power that's there. that seperates the men from the boys!!! and engine builders from parts changers!!

trying to ID intake. Mopar used Thermoquads on the 340 starting in 1971. The part number is not correct for the 72 340. 360 4v engines also used the TQ and the E48 (318 4v) used a Quadrajet. The Carter Thermoquad and the Rochester Quadrajet are the only carburetors to have the large secondaries that would work on that manifold without some sort of adapter plate.

I bolted ona 625 Fed-Mogual without any adapters and without issue.

-
Back