Is this bad? (440 Six Pack)

-

database13

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1971 Dodge Challenger completely stripped and ready for a restore. The engine (440) and the transmission had both been pulled. The guy who I bought it from told me that he took apart the engine and said the previous owner had completely rebuilt the engine and had never started it.

So yesterday I pulled the distributor and looked down the opening. That was when I found this big whole on the timing chain side of the engine block. The whole is extremely rough and has dimensions of about 3.5'' in length and about 1'' in width. The whole cant be seen from the outside due to the timing chain cover.

I have no idea what this is or if it is normal. Maybe it is a rough casting or maybe the timing chain broke and put a whole in the block?

It does not make any sense to me why someone would completely rebuild an engine that is not usable, so now I am here left scratching my head.

Can anyone help me out?
IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

im not sure but that dosen't look like it should be there

That shouldnt be there as far as I know. Ive only seen a couple big blocks, all were 383's and none of them had that hole there. It looks WAY too jagged to be a factory thing, and more like something punched through the block.

It looks like casting flash! there should be an oval opening into the timing chain area and most blocks have casting flash there. A picture from the front will tell for sure.

I think I had something simular to that as well in my engine. I didn't think anything too much about it at the time because I thought it might normal;ly be like that. or maybe it was some weird mod you can do for something. Anyways if you would like me to pull my distributer I will check it. Its in my 440 duster. Kinda the same thing...fresh rebuild...never installed or started till I put it in.

Phil

It's not a big deal. Some shops would have removed it, most would not have for whatever reason. It's an oil drainback that also oils the timing chain.

-
Back