Is this oem?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found this valve on the master cylinder brake line is this oem or a addon? 1971 Duster stock KH disc fronts and drum rears Thanks

Attachments

• mc1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 330
  • mc2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 290
Looks like aftermarket. With lots of rust.

Sure does not look stock..... maybe a crude attempt at proportioning with a variable flow restrictor in the front system.....very odd.

yes just wondering,I wont be putting it back during the restoration thanks

Not OEM. I would be concerned about how rusty the brake tubing is

yes all brake lines will be replaced during restoration thanks

Ditto above. 1971 would have had a "combination valve", meaning proportioning - imbalance switch - metering valve all in one device. That appears too small to be a prop valve and is also on the front circuit, so probably just a needle valve as a flow restrictor. Why is the main question and "looks scary" seems a valid response. Seems in Canada you run into hillbilly fixes too.

That has compression fittings, my understanding is that they are illegal in automotive brake lines. Definitely not factory. I would guess it is someone's way of locking out the rear brakes so that they can do burn outs. A poor man's line lock.......

That has compression fittings, my understanding is that they are illegal in automotive brake lines. Definitely not factory. I would guess it is someone's way of locking out the rear brakes so that they can do burn outs. A poor man's line lock.......

Good eye. That piece may be some sort of needle valve, never designed for a brake system

I would guess it is someone's way of locking out the rear brakes so that they can do burn outs. A poor man's line lock.......

But that is on the front brake lines!

Brass are illegal steel compression unions are not.
I looked all that up when I put my line lock in.

TrailBeast, I am a criminal. Long ago when a rusted tube twisted off on my 69 Dart at a front wheel cylinder, I "fixed her" by installing a section of tube w/ brass compression fittings. The cheap plumbing type w/ 1 brass ferrule instead of better Swagelock. Car was stolen much later, so can only dream it failed when the thief was running from cops. They did arrest a guy in a stolen Jetta w/ my license tag 7 yrs later.

I would guess it is someone's way of locking out the rear brakes so that they can do burn outs. A poor man's line lock.......

But that is on the front brake lines!

What he said! Back feeds the front!

-
Back