Is this worth the asking price?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I found an 8 3/4 A-body rear end with a small bolt pattern. Now it's missing the gears and it's missing the diff cover. But it is what I need for my Dart. The guy is asking $250 CDN for it.

3271h0220.jpg

It's about 8 hours one way to go pick it up though.

I did also find a '67 Dart GT with an 8 3/4 sure grip rear end. All it needs is a new small block and he wants $4000 for it....

7245j4e_20.jpeg

2293111_20.jpeg

3382df4_20.jpeg

4528k76_20.jpeg

1001bgn_20.jpeg

Granted I'd have to extend my line of credit though to buy it, put it and my '67 Dart GT together, and sell the rest to get my money back.... :p

I think it's worth it as is, not a lot more though.
It doesn't look too rusty either.
I would still try to talk him down.

not to start a piss or anything jmho is you better get it..abody rear ends are hard to get the stock width ..i paid 300.00 about 8/10 yrs ago....the axles alone sell for at lease 75.00 in small bolt..

think of it this way if you had to buy a c/b rear and have it cut and then the axles aswell you will be more then that ...plus the shipping on the parts unless you get it done local...but as i said that just my opinion..i know some will say diff. thats what make this sport great in diff. places you get diff. prices..mike

$250 is about the going price. I think I sold mine for that last fall.

Both are priced well, IMO.

If you go for the car instead, how about throwing the number for the rear my way :D.

It's gonna cost me at least that much to have mine cut down to size. And 8 hrs from your place either puts it close to me, or terribly far, lol.

not to start a piss or anything jmho is you better get it..abody rear ends are hard to get the stock width ..i paid 300.00 about 8/10 yrs ago....the axles alone sell for at lease 75.00 in small bolt..

Think of it this way if you had to buy a c/b rear and have it cut and then the axles aswell you will be more then that ...plus the shipping on the parts unless you get it done local...but as i said that just my opinion..i know some will say diff. Thats what make this sport great in diff. Places you get diff. Prices..mike

x2

The car looks like it has a lot of bondo in it from what I can see in the pics. Take a magnet with you. Dan

Canada.. whatever the guys in southern US with plentiful parts quote.. add 40%. As you know Drache, these things aren't sitting rust-free in our boneyards, and haven't been for a decade.

Im glad you found that diff cover, I was suspecting you were buying a 7.25! $250 CAN (like $251 US?) axles sounds a tad high but it is Canada...offer 175...Car looks sharp.

I think it is cheap being I paid 400 for one missing the pig just about a year ago. That was with the shipping price included. Remember as the years go by these are not as common same as the project cars are getting fewer.

I sold one for $75.00 complete and the guy though I was ripping him off.

I sold one for $75.00 complete and the guy though I was ripping him off.

I bought mine for $100 no pig 8 years ago and I hauled *** before the guy could change his mind! Nothing even close at that time.

I bought my A-body 8 3/4 with 3:23 complete for $2,800. Fortunately, the rest of the Duster came with it! LOL

Price is right, expecially lf you can just go pick it up, since shipping would be tough.

I've never paid any more than $150 for any 8.75", ever. Picked up an A-body 8.75" with shafts last year for $50, scored the chunk from a friend for another $50 (489 Sure Grip with 3.23's) and used the brake setup from an 8.25"

Another A-Body 8.75" (complete, 489 Open with 3.23's) came as part of a Package Deal (with a '71 Demon, 71 Duster, A833 setup, '72 340 engine and a bunch of extra parts. for $1,500 total)

Couple years back, I picked up a B-Body (set up for an A-body) 8.75" complete, with 2 Sure Grip chunks (741 and 489) for $150. Shoved that under my '74 Duster so I could get rid of the original 8.25" (with 2.45's... oh yeah that baby would spin 2k at 70mph...) :wack:

One thing US guys need to remember is we don't have as plentiful of parts as you guys way up north. This is only the third 8 3/4 rear Ive seen for sale. The first was the same as this and they wanted $400. The other was complete with a price of $2000.

Price is fair on the 8 3/4...Just buy it it will rise in value better than any stocks and bonds I know of...

-
Back