Is zip ties ok to use on heater hoses?

-

hoop

Reaction score
Just wondering if a thick black zip tie ok to use to hold heater hoses in place, would it get too hot on it?

Your fine dude. Lawl. I'm sure the consummate restorers on this site will give you a what for even thinking of using a zip tie, but I digress. I use them all the time.

Thought you were thinking of using one on the pipe nipples. Oh how I love that word.

I use them on whatever they work well for, like mufflers, as a driveline loop, for hose clamps and even my steering coupler.
Heck I have a ball joint that broke the socket out, so I ziptied the socket onto the ball because it had a few more trips left in it.
JK, I use them for heater hose routing and various wiring sections.
(But I'll only use black ones.) :)

I used them on mine to keep them neat. No problems.

Attachments

• IMG_4491.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 598
If you wrap them around 2x, you spread the "rub" out twice as wide. In the event that there is any movement, it doubles the wear spot, in effect lessening the chance of a rub thru.

I used good quality zip ties for my 3/8 fuel line upgrade on my Barracuda over 20 years ago. I also used small sections of rubber fuel line to protect the aluminum fuel line. All this zip tied to the existing 5/16 fuel line. Has held up ever since.

Many haven't lasted long in the under-hood environment for me, but probably the Chinese ones. McMaster-Carr probably sells better ones.

I use them on whatever they work well for, like mufflers, as a driveline loop, for hose clamps and even my steering coupler.
Heck I have a ball joint that broke the socket out, so I ziptied the socket onto the ball because it had a few more trips left in it.
JK, I use them for heater hose routing and various wiring sections.
(But I'll only use black ones.) :)

Why you gotta make this about color?

I have used the really wide ones(about 3/8 ), and I dont overtighten them. They last longer than the hoses. At least mine do.
Yeah, those buy a-hundred-in-bag for el-cheapo arent good for anything. Not even the few that actually Z-I-P.

Eventually they get brittle and break.

But they never all break at once, so spread out the load and use more than one....

If you are afraid of them cutting into the hoses over time, you can get a piece of radiator hose and cut a section about 3" long, slit it length wise and use it for a guard and put the ties around it.

several different styles - colors of velcro ties -- search Velcro cable ties

Attachments

• AKD_2687.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 334
I pulled a bodgy electric fuel pump setup from inside a tank once that had been held on with plastic zip ties.

I use these nylon hose clamps. They come in many sizes, but the zip range is limited. I use mainly on vacuum hoses, including turbo applications with boost. Temperature range for the black double snap is -40 to 255F. The white singe snap is -25 to 275F.

I get from McMaster Carr.

Attachments

• 5246kp1s.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 9579kp1s.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 210
-
Back