issue with AMD Demon floor pan..please help newbie

-

fez440

Reaction score
hi everyone, im Chris im 27 and i have been watching everyone on this site for a long time, trying to learn as much i as can.
my dad has a Demon that has been waiting to under go resoration for a very long time now. i have started to take over the project. I got a amd full floor pan for it, it seems to fit ok except for where it welds to the crossmember.
as you can see from the photo the floor is about 1 inch to high and it doesnt go down anymore as far as i can tell, remember this is all new to me :S
the floor is level along the sides its just here and the cross member that i have this issue. if anyone can help it out with this it would be very much appretiated : ) as i do not want to get discouraged with this project, i want to keep moving forwards, but for right now this issues has me stumped.

the car is a manual, which i dont think makes a differance
PS: i will probably asking for a lot of help over the coming months..years lol :)

Attachments

• CIMG6007.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 798
  • CIMG6008.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 777
  • CIMG6009.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 758
Could you post some additional pictures of the rest of the fit underneath and inside the car? If this is in right then I would be contacting AMD and sending them all the pictures.

Could you post some additional pictures of the rest of the fit underneath and inside the car? If this is in right then I would be contacting AMD and sending them all the pictures.

ok i will take some more in the morning

heres some more photos of it, i know the floor can flex some, but i dont think it can flex enough,we have tried pushing it down but it doesnt come close to touching the crossmember

Attachments

• CIMG6020.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 722
  • CIMG6019.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 702
  • CIMG6018.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 719
  • CIMG6017.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 702
  • CIMG6016.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 727
  • CIMG6015.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 721
  • CIMG6014.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 700
  • CIMG6013.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 712
  • CIMG6012.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 687
  • CIMG6011.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 743
here is a few pics of the floor laying against the top of the transmission hump without the floor being clamped into place at the firewall, as you can see the gap at the firewall :S also the gap on the sides of the trans hump, if i were able to push it in i would assume it wouldnt line up at the front at the firewall.

Attachments

• CIMG6022.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 696
  • CIMG6021.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 711
Maybe you could stretch a string from one side of the car at the crossmember to the other side and see if there is some droop at the middle?

All I did was spot weld the floor to the crossmember and then stretch the floor to the firewall. Then again I only did the front floor.

Riddler

where would the best place to parts be? i am assuming starting at the firewall and welding it there 1st and working back would be best?

If it were me, I would back off torsion bar adjusters to see if they are pulling the crossmember down. Might not make much diffrence but it will cost nothing to try.

If it were me, I would back off torsion bar adjusters to see if they are pulling the crossmember down. Might not make much diffrence but it will cost nothing to try.

xs2

Is it possible that the torsion bar cross member is bent in a downward direction?

its very possible the tension on the torsion bars is forcing the crossmember down without the support of the floor pan. maybe not the entire problem, but could be part of it

xs2

its very possible the tension on the torsion bars is forcing the crossmember down without the support of the floor pan. maybe not the entire problem, but could be part of it

Very good points and ideas.

Try bolting the transmission crossbar in and see it all the holes still line up.

Did you cut that notch in the crossmember? If so, it looks like you did it with the T bars installed and if so it looks like the crossmember pulled down at that point. Any of your friends have an A-body to compair to?

wow guys thanks for all the responses!! i will go out and try these ideas, and there is a dart around that i can compare to

If you have it on a lift, I would have to agree that the torsion bars are pulling it down, back them all the way off. I took mine out when I did my floor. Here is a good tip get some zip screws and screw it in place before you weld it! Alos it is easier to drill spot weld holes in the floor pan before you start to put it in. Mark it from the under side where the trans member and seat brackets are with a paint stick. Then flip it over on the floor and drill it. Also you need to move the out side seat belt holes, the ones next to the rockers are in the wrong place for Duster/Demons

Maybe these will help

Attachments

• 613 031.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 690
  • 42611 051.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 666
  • bottom.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 682
Are you lap seaming the floor and stitch welding? Or using sheet metal panel clamps and butting the seams so that you can connect all the stitch welds together and smooth them out to look and act original?

I would also hang my doors befor any welding is done and be sure they close right and have the right gaps.

If you have it on a lift, I would have to agree that the torsion bars are pulling it down, back them all the way off. I took mine out when I did my floor. Here is a good tip get some zip screws and screw it in place before you weld it! Alos it is easier to drill spot weld holes in the floor pan before you start to put it in. Mark it from the under side where the trans member and seat brackets are with a paint stick. Then flip it over on the floor and drill it. Also you need to move the out side seat belt holes, the ones next to the rockers are in the wrong place for Duster/Demons

It would be taking torque off the torsion bars on a lift.
Tires on the floor would be putting more torque on the torsion bars.
Am I thinking backwards here?

i took the tension of the torsion bars, it didnt make a differance. i have another floor its a original piece just doesnt have the front pans on it, now when i put that floor in it fits perfect and when i put the front pans i took out back in the fit perfect as well. so i dont think anything moved when i took the floor out. when i lay these piece on top of the amd floor they are the same shape. soo i dont know i feel kind of dumb at the moment :S i can seem to see the problem

i emailed AMD about it and this is what they said:

received your email about the duster floor installation and the issue you are having with the installation.

I looked at the photos and I have had a similar issues with a MOPAR floorpan installations. I found that the firewall must be the last item clamped so the floor can be pushed down all the way and secured to the crossmember. The floor only needs to weld on the horizontal surfaces of the cross member, if you look at the crossmember you will see where the original welds were. Pulling the firewall and floor together will be tough because once the floor is removed the firewall tends to move forward at the bottom. Also MOPAR’s are many times mig welded at this floor to firewall flange because the fitment was so poor here during production and the spot welder would not work on these short flanges. Let me know if this helps you out or if you need any more information with this one. Also feel free to call if you would like,

-
Back