It’s Winter. Let’s discuss strokers. How much faster

-
Thrust hp loss? Between the 3.31 ,4" as if it
Not measurable nor a comparison to deduce between the 2 if the power can be any amount. But 2hp or a belt worth, but what rpm? Factors galore all the way into the machining.

They make reverse offset pistons fwiw. They do free up/shed friction, or make power. Whatever end you sit at.
This, again, is more a piston reversal type of power diff/ be it gain or loss.

Last edited:
unfortunately, 90% of Mopar small block heads( everything up through W5’s) were designed for stock stroke engines.
So most everything is going to be a tractor.
I found the extra torque, even with mild eddies, makes the car way faster to the 1/8th than it was stock stroke.
Agreed! But, for example, if you are starting with a 318, and stroke it to 390, I think I would upgrade from a 318 head. Eddie's would be a huge improvement, and for a street strip car.... trick flows.

A 3.75 stroke is no longer considered long any more.

It still is last I checked... and definitely is on a site based around 1960's and 70's A body mopars...and **** why the 3.79 cranks? But really on the same progressive wave you rode in on... maybe this topic is already irrelevant...nothing being said is of any significance. :eek:

Agreed! But, for example, if you are starting with a 318, and stroke it to 390, I think I would upgrade from a 318 head. Eddie's would be a huge improvement, and for a street strip car.... trick flows.

agreed. But an eddie is still a 340/360 head, and would become marginal in a fulll boogie stroker anything, even a 390 type deal, although the difference gets worse the more cubes.
A trickflow is a tiny head for a stroker too. My buddy’s Duster starts wheezing about 1100foot with a 28 tire abd 4.30 gear running mid 10’s. Its just a better bandaid.

Question: How much does a 4" crank shove the side of the of the piston into the wall of the cylinder vs 3.31" crank?
That is a great question no one ever has been able to answer except as described after your post….
We know there is more side loading because there not 250,000 mile engines.

If you could get a pressure sensor on the other side of the cylinder wall…????

Yes If the answer is VE%, so the next question would be why/how ???
OMG! Come on dude!
You should have just posted your signature. Because that’s exactly how it is.
I can’t put enough LMAOROTF emojis here!

Street strip? Trickflows? A 318?
Assuming the bottom end is built near 11.1 compression and cam'd .550+ . That's 190cc 4.040" or so chamber on that LITTLE [email protected] bore.
Better relief the bores a bit.
As for 390 cid or heads...
If the 318 heads are capable of what folks claim when ported.. then they'll make for more useable tq than the 318 with just eddy heads. Best head, nope. But if I had the choice..and had to pick.. I'll pick the extra cid and work the small heads over myself. Lift the valve .500-.550 and turn up the duration into the 300's

Last edited:
That is a great question no one ever has been able to answer except as described after your post….
We know there is more side loading because there not 250,000 mile engines.

If you could get a pressure sensor on the other side of the cylinder wall…????

OMG! Come on dude!

I can’t put enough LMAOROTF emojis here!

You can calculate friction losses on the dyno. Also BMEP is a big deal. Most ignore it.

It still is last I checked... and definitely is on a site based around 1960's and 70's A body mopars...and **** why the 3.79 cranks? But really on the same progressive wave you rode in on... maybe this topic is already irrelevant...nothing being said is of any significance. :eek:

Everything of significance was already said. You either didn’t read it, ignored it or didn’t understand it.

I want a huge bore and short stroke if we are putting 18 psi of boost to it :)

Everything of significance was already said. You either didn’t read it, ignored it or didn’t understand it.

By page one.
The rest was a mental circle jerk for the displacment challenged.:poke:
I thought it was based on some parameter, OP's parts combo..or

400 B engine comes to mind.....
In a post elsewhere here was a comparison of a 454 Chevy, 455 Pontiac (longer stroke), 455 Olds, (longer stroke) and a stroker 451, 400 based.
The Mopar finished last, by a substantial margin. Why? Stock iron heads that flowed poorly compared to the others, probably 100 cfm less than the winning Chevy.
Building a stoker, without improving the heads is just silly, imho.

In a post elsewhere here was a comparison of a 454 Chevy, 455 Pontiac (longer stroke), 455 Olds, (longer stroke) and a stroker 451, 400 based.
The Mopar finished last, by a substantial margin. Why? Stock iron heads that flowed poorly compared to the others, probably 100 cfm less than the winning Chevy.
Building a stoker, without improving the heads is just silly, imho.
Last 906 head I flowed, as cast went about 227-230cfm.

Best as cast 2.02 J head I ever flowed went 228-230cfm.

Made me think.

Made me think.

Yup. The BBM is the most under headed platform out there. It’s hideous. Even the predator head has limits, mostly due to bore spacing.

Yup. The BBM is the most under headed platform out there. It’s hideous. Even the predator head has limits, mostly due to bore spacing.
On a garbage motor home 440, engine masters got a 70hp bump from TF heads on a 7.4 to 1 shortblock. How much more is a head swap worth on a 10 to 1 500?

Made me think.

How come it seems a bbm can make 450 hp with stock heads and 340 makes around 400 hp with similar flow from what I’ve seen?

is it port size ??

How come it seems a bbm can make 450 hp with stock heads and 340 makes around 400 hp with similar flow from what I’ve seen?

is it port size ??
Uh, a hundred cubic inches? Seriously, yes, stock head flow feeds a 340 more efficiently than that same head flow on a much bigger motor.
That's why a stroker NEEDS better heads.

-
Back