It's crackedback fault..........

-

383Duster

Reaction score
Not really, I bought one of his headlight / relay harness assembles (check it out, nice piece) and to install it I need to take the headlight bezels off. Well that led me to take the grill out as I have been putting off restoring it and the bezels.......... The po just used some epoxy to try to fix the broken parts and blew black paint on everything. My experience fixing lots of sport bike fairing has shown me epoxy alone is not gonna get the job done. I have the normal broken / missing tabs, cracks, dings and anodizing that's cracked and yellow. Plus I want to paint my radiator yoke as I think it looks better on a bright color car if its black.......I used yellow top ez off to get the anodizing off, tapped out the pings and dents, got it all sanded, now I just need to make a trip to my buddy's shop to buff it all. Also I need a grill moulding if anyone has one. The one I need is the smaller moulding that is at the top and bottom of the fins, my car only had one on it.

Attachments

• duster grill 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 704
  • duster grill 003.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 697
  • duster grill 004.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 710
  • duster grill 007.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 711
Not really, I bought one of his headlight / relay harness assembles (check it out, nice piece) and to install it I need to take the headlight bezels off. Well that led me to take the grill out as I have been putting off restoring it and the bezels.......... The po just used some epoxy to try to fix the broken parts and blew black paint on everything. My experience fixing lots of sport bike fairing has shown me epoxy alone is not gonna get the job done. I have the normal broken / missing tabs, cracks, dings and anodizing that's cracked and yellow. Plus I want to paint my radiator yoke as I think it looks better on a bright color car if its black.......I used yellow top ez off to get the anodizing off, tapped out the pings and dents, got it all sanded, now I just need to make a trip to my buddy's shop to buff it all. Also I need a grill moulding if anyone has one. The one I need is the smaller moulding that is at the top and bottom of the fins, my car only had one on it.

dont forget to paint behind the grill....flat black

Did some plastic welding..........used the heat gun to straighten out the grill body itself, it was deformed due to the fender bender some years ago. Made some small metal brackets to replace the broken tabs on the grill, the pop rivets are hid under the headlight bezel.

Attachments

• duster grill 018.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 639
  • duster grill 013.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 603
  • duster grill 016.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 615
  • duster grill 015.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 611
I'm so sorry to initiate such grief. :)

Good to talk with you. Glad you are happy with the relay kit.

Good looking car.

Im doing the same thing as we speak, restoring an extra grill. I have an extra grill trim piece that I dont need as its extra pieces. It has all the tabs to bend it over the back of the grill.

Wow, what a coincidence. I'm restoring my '69 Dart grille since I had to remove it to install crackedback's headlight relay setup. Almost cut my thumbnail off when the buffer grabbed the headlight ring out of my hand. I wouldn't be restoring my grille if I hadn't taken it out so...it is crackedback's fault!:thumbrig:
Just kidding, can't wait till I can see in the dark.

Got my welds filled and sanded, got the radiator yoke painted (hey, I know it's not the way Mopar did it....) Also the park lamp reflector is nothing but gray looking primer, I cut some aluminum foil tape and laid it down, it should make the park lamps much brighter. Got the grill masked and sprayed the argent on it, what a pain. I see why the PO had just blown black paint on the whole thing.

Attachments

• more grill 2 012.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 487
  • more grill 2 008.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 476
  • more grill 2 006.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 504
  • more grill 2 005.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 513
  • more grill 2 003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 499
Got the moldings polished and cleared, hard to get the clear to lay down nice on freshly polished aluminum........ Got the black texture painted on the grill, still got a ways to go but making progress.

Attachments

• more grill 1 002.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 399
  • more grill 1 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 393
The molding got shipped yesterday and I havent got a chance to get the tracking number yet .

Thanks for the idea of metal inside the park lamps to brighten them up, great idea

I sanded the grill by hand and wiped it down quickly with acetone before I sprayed it. Also I noticed the local parts store had chrome tape that is brighter than the aluminum tape I used. Once I get your molding and my new park light lens I will put the grill together so I can mount it and mask / paint the black on the bezels and call this done.........

Sweet , i cant wait to see it all done. I worked on my grille tonight and got the final pieces plastic welded and this weekend i will be ready to sand and possibly paint.

Also what kind of clear did you use for the aluminum?

Sorry for the late reply....I used rattle can clear lacquer. It didn't want to stick to the polished moldings at all. Was very touchy to get it to lay down smooth. I had to strip the clear off one molding, do some more polishing and reclear it...ugh. Any way, got it all done and had the car in the Dallas Auto Rama this week end. Again, thanks for shipping that molding so quick.

Attachments

• Autorama 2014 004.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 270
O Yea!!! Perfect !!! crackedback quit that chit :-D:-D

Perfect :toothy1:

Sorry for the late reply....I used rattle can clear lacquer. It didn't want to stick to the polished moldings at all. Was very touchy to get it to lay down smooth. I had to strip the clear off one molding, do some more polishing and reclear it...ugh. Any way, got it all done and had the car in the Dallas Auto Rama this week end. Again, thanks for shipping that molding so quick.

No problem, im glad. I had what you needed and could get it to you in a timely manner. Looks perfect, nice job

I blame crackedback for everything! Global warming, the economy, earth quakes, wild fires, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, ect...........

He's a great fall guy.

Here ya go 383 I finally finished my grill minus putting in the trim pieces. I went satin black only to see how its gonna look with my new hood being black as well. I havent got the scoop in the mail yet .
I still have to add metal tape in the park lights still.

The spray chrome paint works nice in the lights also, just a FYI.

Here is my grill, its done except for the headlight bezels. Im gonna start on those in the morning at work. I forgot to poke the hole for the bulb but I will do that once Im ready to install it.

The Plymouth emblem I painted for my buddy I liked it so I painted mine red as well.

-
Back