J Heads?

-
1970 T/A heads weren't they J heads with 2.02 and the push rods holes moved? My uncle has a set I'm pretty sure they had a J on them last time I'd seen them.

Ok thanks Cracked you have cleared this up for me. But is it possible some 360s had the 2.02s on them.

Anything may be possible... I might fly to the moon unassisted...

Possible???

Probable, certainly not!

That's the reason I said likely. Might there be a 360 that got out with a set of 2.02's, maybe. It's more doubtful than probable.

One thing to remember in manufacturing, when something is replaced, for example head castings, the valvetrain part used in them have two options, Use as is or scrap. Since scraping parts costs money they try to consume the inventory until depleted, in this case intake valves. Factory to Factory controls were also not the same. Given the 340's performance only nature, the heads in ones hands, at one point could have been upgraded to 2.02 in the last 40+ years.

Of the 2.02 heads of every SB variety I have seen had the intake seats beat into the head where the 1.88 didn't. this is just what I have experienced and may not be the case for all heads as no two castings are truly identical, especially in those years.

Well I dont know much but I have a set or J heads with 2.02 values not sure what year they are I think they are 70-72.They a 340 head that have been put on a 360.

......I thought a 71' 360's which were 2bbl's were "J"s with 1.88's and all 71' 340's were "J"s with 2.02's. So that's where i'm at, let the discussion continue. :D

And "X"s, 68-70 were all 2.02's...........That's my story and i'm stickin' to it. :D

Ok thanks Cracked you have cleared this up for me. But is it possible some 360s had the 2.02s on them.

Yes, it is possible. Someone could have put a wrong one on by accident, or if they ran out of 1.88 heads, they could have run 2.02's to keep the line running.

It could be possible to get a 1.88 on one side and 2.02 on the other if people weren't paying attention and put the wrong part on.

1970 T/A heads weren't they J heads with 2.02 and the push rods holes moved? My uncle has a set I'm pretty sure they had a J on them last time I'd seen them.

Yes. T/A heads were J heads with the pushrod holes moved over and T/A cast into the head also to identify them.

I had a set of J heads that I ported for my racer. It's OK to put 2.02's in them, but don't do any extensive port work. I had to replace one head because of a pourous casting. Hughes won't port J heads because of the many casting problems. If stock or just 2.02's no wories

OK I found a craigslist ad for a 1970 340 engine out of a 1970 duster. I went to the guys house and he was an old timer, retired and had owned his 1970 340 duster since new.

The car ran until the mid 80s and he left it outside to rot away and pulled the drivetrain out and put it in his garage. The block was dated 1-9-70. He told me that he had never had the engine apart and trust me, it was a solid block of rust once I got to it.

I managed to break it apart, and the heads were 2.02 valve, with 'J'castings. I still have them sitting in my storage locker if somebody wants detailed pictures. They are fully original and this guy knew the whole history of his 1970 duster.

So, this tells me that at LEAST January 1970 340 block and later had 'J' castings and 2.02 valves. IDK why Chrysler cast the letters they did, but I was surprised to see 2.02's on J heads because I thought only X had them. I even remember looking at them and saying OH this has 1.88s, and he said NO NO NO I ordered this car with a HP 340 it has bigger 2.02s!!! I didn't believe him until I got it apart. It is true.

That's all I got.

Oh yeah and the engine was only 100.00 with the good 68-70 HP manifolds that were sittin next to it on a shelf :toothy8:

Yes. T/A heads were J heads with the pushrod holes moved over and T/A cast into the head also to identify them.

There is NO T/A cast into the head...they are J heads with pushrods drill offset with 360 cast into them.. They are the same casting number as the basic J head....so alot of people say they have TA heads because of the casting number until you show them a TA head with the offset pushrod location and the fact they only take the TA rocker arms....the 273 and stock non adjustable rockers will not work on the TA head.....

as a owner of AARCuda since July 13, 1973......

-
Back