James's 1970 Dodge Dart build.

-
where you at on the dash ?

Well...we are working on the dash, It's not going to be anything crazy or special. Don't expect it to look like a RMD dash because it most certainly wont be that nice. lol...But, I dunno...It'll look fine...I hope...

updates? im folling this build, its going to be a SICK ride.

No real updates yet...work on this vehicle has almost come to a dead stop...it's sad..but true...I have been getting very discouraged because nothing is getting done...I'm kinda stuck and don't know what to do or work on...I look at the car, and inspect it...Look at every angle...and say... "Hmm, what next? What should I work on now??"

-I guess I could make and run all my brake lines...
-I could possibly work on making my 1/2" stainless hard line fuel lines...
-I have to smooth out and grind the welds on the floor tunnel...
-Finish smoothing the firewall where the steering column goes through...I'm using the Flaming River firewall mount. It's a little billet aluminum piece that looks better than that big odd shaped factory mount that has 3 bolts...

But I dunno...Just lots of stuff needs to get done...And my car is at my buddy's garage 30 miles away. So he's been real busy with work. We usually work on it together...Messed up situation I'm in...

No real updates yet...work on this vehicle has almost come to a dead stop...it's sad..but true...I have been getting very discouraged because nothing is getting done...I'm kinda stuck and don't know what to do or work on...I look at the car, and inspect it...Look at every angle...and say... "Hmm, what next? What should I work on now??"

-I guess I could make and run all my brake lines...
-I could possibly work on making my 1/2" stainless hard line fuel lines...
-I have to smooth out and grind the welds on the floor tunnel...
-Finish smoothing the firewall where the steering column goes through...I'm using the Flaming River firewall mount. It's a little billet aluminum piece that looks better than that big odd shaped factory mount that has 3 bolts...

But I dunno...Just lots of stuff needs to get done...And my car is at my buddy's garage 30 miles away. So he's been real busy with work. We usually work on it together...Messed up situation I'm in...

Well Look on the bright side! it is inside... Mine is outside and I am at the mercy of the weather.. and if I want powertools then I have to run a big extension cord.

I bet you cant wait to bust that 408 off in the car..

I had to say something to get updates hah.

Well thank you all for the comments, and concern. It'll pick up soon...maybe in a couple of weeks...Right now I'm contemplating on getting a street bike...I know, I know, most of you will say no, and that it's too damn dangerous...But the last one I had was amazing, (2007 CBR 600 RR) and there was no other feeling like being on the open road...going on a ride would always make me feel better no matter what...it's just hard to explain how fun it is until you ride...I really need one because it will give me the freedom I need to do whatever, whenever, and wherever I want...I dunno, I just remember being very happy when I had one, and haven't been too happy since then, so maybe it'll pep me up a little bit...I really need the medicine....

Well thank you all for the comments, and concern. It'll pick up soon...maybe in a couple of weeks...Right now I'm contemplating on getting a street bike...I know, I know, most of you will say no, and that it's too damn dangerous...But the last one I had was amazing, (2007 CBR 600 RR) and there was no other feeling like being on the open road...going on a ride would always make me feel better no matter what...it's just hard to explain how fun it is until you ride...I really need one because it will give me the freedom I need to do whatever, whenever, and wherever I want...I dunno, I just remember being very happy when I had one, and haven't been too happy since then, so maybe it'll pep me up a little bit...I really need the medicine....

Hey man do what ya gotta do to get your mojo workin again. Guys like me really need to see projects getting done.

It's a daily struggle some days to just walk up and down stairs,so all my motivation comes from here.

James,

That is some nice work.........When are you going to get back at it? That is a huge project you got going on there.

I just got my triangulated 4 link parts, it is a Home brewed unit that will look like yours when done. YEA I am stealing your fabrication ideas......ha:-D

My link is made out of 1.5 OD tube with 1 1/8th rod ends that adjust on both ends of all 4 tubes so I can make easy tracking or pinion adjustments by just loosening the Jam Nut and turning the tube. I drilled and tapped the ends for ZERK fittings last night so I can grease it. This is going into a 67 Dart.
Just about to install it and do the MINI TUB in a few weeks but I will not be going all CRAZY like you did.........

You definitely got some skills!!:wav:

Right now I'm contemplating on getting a street bike...I know, I know, most of you will say no, and that it's too damn dangerous.......

Dude didn't you crash your bicycle? Ahh just giving you some grief. I love fast motorcycles, but I can't be trusted on them. Seriously I get way too stupid. So I am banned from them by my wife. She even gives me a hard time anymore when I take out the Honda trail 90. :angry7:

James,

That is some nice work.........When are you going to get back at it? That is a huge project you got going on there.

I just got my triangulated 4 link parts, it is a Home brewed unit that will look like yours when done. YEA I am stealing your fabrication ideas......ha:-D

My link is made out of 1.5 OD tube with 1 1/8th rod ends that adjust on both ends of all 4 tubes so I can make easy tracking or pinion adjustments by just loosening the Jam Nut and turning the tube. I drilled and tapped the ends for ZERK fittings last night so I can grease it. This is going into a 67 Dart.
Just about to install it and do the MINI TUB in a few weeks but I will not be going all CRAZY like you did.........

You definitely got some skills!!:wav:

Hey Mad Dart, thanks for the comments, I am getting help from my buddy, so it's not ALL me haha...but we work together.. That 4-link system you have sounds like it will be real nice once it's all done...

How did I go crazy with the mini tub job?? haha...

I think next Monday is when I'm gonna get back into it...The car right now is just a shell, and I'm gonna put the front suspension (alterKation) back in....maybe FINALLY get that engine out of my room, install it in the car (for mock up reasons), put my bell housing on with the 4 speed, install that. Then I can come up with a hydraulic clutch system. (one thing to get off the list) Once my engine and tranny is installed, I can also measure for a driveline, get that ordered, and make my driveline hoop once it comes...

But once I get all the front suspension in, I will start to make new brake lines for the whole car. My fuel cell is in, not finished, but it's in there, so I'm ready to make all my fuel lines. I'm going to use 1/2" stainless hard line.

I guess I could also put the front and rear wheels on, and see how the car sits, turns, and rolls....Man, all this stuff just for mock up, and have to take it all apart again...

But as you can see I have my work cut out for me! I'll get on it next monday, maybe have it rolling by the end of the day...

Dude didn't you crash your bicycle? Ahh just giving you some grief. I love fast motorcycles, but I can't be trusted on them. Seriously I get way too stupid. So I am banned from them by my wife. She even gives me a hard time anymore when I take out the Honda trail 90. :angry7:

Yes, I did crash a simple pedal bicycle! I wasn't even going fast haha...I went off a jump, landed wrong...I'll never go over a jump again. That put me out for over a month! Man, that sucked...My dad absolutely disapproves of me getting a street bike. LOL....So I dunno still undecided, I do want one though...

Right now I'm trying to buy this 93 toyota celica for 500 bucks. I'm tired of my 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4...it just plain sucks on gas...I put 40 dollars in every couple days.....

James,
I didn't know you had such an extensive project. Very nice! I would do it the exact same way if I had it to do over again. All the RMS parts. I remember getting bummed out with my 440 convertible project and just taking a break from it then coming back when i wasn't so frustrated. I think that car took me 10 years to get done. HA! Good luck keep it up.

You guys make it look so easy, I can't even PAY my FAMILY to weld let alone have someone help me. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Oh and as far as the street bike goes just start under 600, a liter bike is no good to learn on, I started on a 1000 RR and after two years went to an R6 and had way more fun.

Even if you spend 20 grand building it,keep in mind that you cant get this off a carlot for 40 grand.

I would bet for SURE James has alot more than 20k invested into this project already. Motor, Trans, Rear end, 4 link and Alterkation, Brakes, wheels and tires, fuel cell goes over 20k easily not counting alot of hours in fabrication etc!! I didn't count the cost of the car either.

sorry for the delay. yes, i got the wheels...they are american racing TT2's 17x11 with 4.25" backspace. the tires are nitto 555 315/35/17, and they fit really nice.

James,

You got any pictures of those tires under the car yet? Would love to see how much clearance you have and the stance with the 4 link!

I would bet for SURE James has alot more than 20k invested into this project already. Motor, Trans, Rear end, 4 link and Alterkation, Brakes, wheels and tires, fuel cell goes over 20k easily not counting alot of hours in fabrication etc!! I didn't count the cost of the car either.

Ha! Lets not talk about costs....I'm at about 30 thousand right now.....It hurts me to say that because I can't see where it all goes...But when you break it all down, it makes sense...somewhat...

Alterktion with wilwood brakes...$5,000
Strange S60 with Wilwood disc brakes...$3,200
Street linx setup $2,000
Hydraboost brake setup...$800
408 stroker...$10K
Custom backspace rims, with tires...$2900
4-speed tranny rebuilt with new internals...$1000
Lots and lots of miscellaneous stuff like quick-time bell housing, autometer gauges, RMD dash insert, heater/defrost unit, aluminum radiator, electric fan setup, wiper motor, fuel cell and fuel lines, brake lines....$5,000

Man...I don't even have paint, or body work done, which I need...I have no interior what so ever...I need all new weather stripping...and hundreds of odds and ends.....Will it ever end????

James,

You got any pictures of those tires under the car yet? Would love to see how much clearance you have and the stance with the 4 link!

HEY!!! I will work on that monday!!! I SHOULD have it sitting on it's own on monday, if I'm at it allll day... I will for sure take pics for you buddy!!! Right now it is sitting on a cart! haha, so I gotta put all the suspension back in!!!!

Ha! Lets not talk about costs....I'm at about 30 thousand right now.....It hurts me to say that because I can't see where it all goes...But when you break it all down, it makes sense...somewhat...

Street linx setup $2,000
408 stroker...$10K
Lots and lots of miscellaneous stuff like quick-time bell housing, autometer gauges, RMD dash insert, heater/defrost unit, aluminum radiator, electric fan setup, wiper motor, fuel cell and fuel lines, brake lines....$5,000

Man...I don't even have paint, or body work done, which I need...I have no interior what so ever...I need all new weather stripping...and hundreds of odds and ends.....Will it ever end????

James don't beat yourself up too bad. That dart will be one of the coolest on the road and a true one of a kind. I am sure that you are not building this to make a profit. Once it is done it will all be worth it.

Street linx setup $2,000
408 stroker...$10K

Stupid double post!

James don't beat yourself up too bad. That dart will be one of the coolest on the road and a true one of a kind. I am sure that you are not building this to make a profit. Once it is done it will all be worth it.

Thank you...I don't see how I can possibly make a profit from this car...I'll have to keep it forever, I don't think I can get what I spent..I'm not sure if anyone can...Maybe if it was a 70 Hemi Cuda, but not my lowly Dart. lol

HEY!!! I will work on that monday!!! I SHOULD have it sitting on it's own on monday, if I'm at it allll day... I will for sure take pics for you buddy!!! Right now it is sitting on a cart! haha, so I gotta put all the suspension back in!!!!

Cool can't wait to see it........Don't get down on the costs, the only reason I said something about it is so these guys will know how much it REALLY costs to do a project like this...........Don't feel too bad I had 80k into my long travel sand car!

Keep up the awesome work.

James, not even a 1970 'cuda with all those parts in it will bring what is invested. I have basically the same thing as you but in a 1970 'cuda.
RMS front, Air Ride triangulated 4 link rear (same as Street Lynx for A's), Hydroboost, Wilwood 4 piston calipers, Strange S-60, Hughes ported Edelbrock heads and Super Victor intake as well, the forged internals and hydr. roller lifters/cam are Hughes too! I have a TKO 500 and a Procharger on mine though.
I know I can't get close to what I have in it. I don't want to sell it but if I did I'm at the same point as you, no interior, no paint, odds and ends.
BTW, I am on my 5th deployment, been in since the beginning. I am over "there" right now. It is the only time I can spend money on the car because the household budget is so tight when I'm not in a tax free, haz duty zone.
I'm glad you're doing good on the "outside". I'm glad you saved your money for something good and something you'll enjoy for awhile. I know some guys who saved all the desert money and it was blown on strippers or stupid crap.
The car is looking really good and you are putting the money into the right places.

-
Back