Junk lifters

-
IMG_5894.gif

Interesting idea. It would require surface reconditioning or at least cam to tappet integrity. It can be done at home but would need a surfacing plate.
Well sure, that's what I had in mind. Having the lifter body reground and then replacing the guts. Of course by the time you got it all done, you'd probably have spent enough to afford a big chunk of solid roller lifters. The critical point of doing it at home would of course be getting the crown correct and in the right place. Pretty much would mean purchasing a lifter grinding tool.

Interesting idea. It would require surface reconditioning or at least cam to tappet integrity. It can be done at home but would need a surfacing plate.
Most valve grinding machines have a tappet surfacing system, but it requires operator experience, & knowing for sure the lobe taper of the cam it's destined to be used on.

Interesting. I am curious what changed. GM was having tons of issues starting back in the 80's. All chevy V8's.. we didn't have issues with 4 and 6's.
As I recall, that's when GM tried the infamous two piece lifter body with a hardened disc on the face fused to a lower hardness body. After a VERY short time period the lifter face would take out the camshaft. For a while there it seemed every 305 under the sun was back at the dealership for a camshaft change. What I always found curious is that under warranty the engine was never dissembled or cleaned when the cam was replaced. And the warrantied engines seemed to run fine after that. I had two friends with Chevy pickups that had this done under warranty.

With as many Mopar people out there that have had lifters problems, you would think some of the manufacturers/sellers would take notice. But alas, you would most likely have to get a ball bat or 2 x 4 to get their attention.

With as many Mopar people out there that have had lifters problems, you would think some of the manufacturers/sellers would take notice. But alas, you would most likely have to get a ball bat or 2 x 4 to get their attention.
Or how many have had a cam go flat and it was replaced with another brand. The machine shop or supplier warehouse may know of the failure but the parent company may not.

I had problems with Comp cam, and Comp lifters too. My lifters and cam, got messed up 25-50 miles during break-in period. the lifters got burned, and the cam got scared from the burn't lifters. Comp is crap, I will never use them again. Yes it was China crap!!

-
Back