Just Got Back From the Police Station.

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
So, my wife and I were on our way to getting some dinner and were in our Hemi Jeep. We were in the left lane of the the left turn lane and there was a guy in a 98 4x4 lifted Ram on our right in the turn lane.
As we were all going left, we were out front, probably at least 30ft or so in front of the Ram and I crossed into the right lane a little bit but corrected quickly. But like I said I was way ahead and nowhere near this truck.
Further down the road it narrows down to one lane and once we got to that point I was quite a bit ahead of the Ram but noticed he was speeding up.
He finally caught up to us and was riding us like crazy. I mean, the truck had a 4-6" lift w/35" tires on it and I couldn't even see his headlights through the rear window in our Commander! He was prob like 3-4 ft away and we were all doing 45mph!
The road we were on turns into a 2 laner with a turn median. Well he decides he wants to ride us then wips out to pass...in the turn median!! So, I floor it because there is a curve coming up and it's dark and there's no passing lane anyways. I pull ahead of him about 20 yards or so then slow down.
He comes back up and just keeps riding us then decides to pass again! So, I let him go this time and as he cuts back in I had to hit the brakes because he about took the front off our Jeep! Right after he cuts back in he jams the brakes on and brings us all to a stop in the middle of the street!
He tries to get out but is forced back in by another car that decides to go around us in the turn lane.
I'm like wtf is this guy doing, what's his problem....so I call 911 and begin to explain what this guy is doing.
So, he starts going again and as we're going he locks his brakes up again and brings us to a stop. About 15-20 seconds go by and he starts going again. We eventually end up at the T-intersection where we were gonna go right, but being on the phone with 911 we just pulled into the forward lane and stopped.
He pulled into the right lane, stopped, and got out.
He came running toward our Jeep yelling that we cut him off, and that it was because I was on the phone. Was yelling that I was on the phone and telling me to get off of it. I wasn't on the phone until I called 911.

About 3-4 minutes go by and he finally starts walking back to his truck. My wife rolls down the window and tells him we're on the phone with 911, he then yells,"Oh, yeah, roll down your window now!" Then runs back over almost getting mowed down by a car trying to go around his truck. Starts yelling again, wanting me to get out.
He ended up going back to his truck and backing up and pulling right next to us almost hitting the passenger mirror and starts yelling and flailing his arms and stuff and then drives off.
We went to the police station after we ate and filed a formal complaint where he'll get a ticket in person by an officer. If he denies it, we have to go to court and it's our word versus his.

Needless to say, after I described the man to the dispatcher, she kind of had a smirk and asked if we could indentify him if we saw a pic. They had 3 or 4 diff pics of him already in their system. Identified 100% it was him.

I just don't understand where he got that I "cut him off". I was always at least 30 ft in front of him even when I accidentally crossed the center line a little bit. Not to mention how could someone get so angry that I barely crossed the center line and corrected it quickly. I mean, I never came anywhere's even close to that dude.

Something wasn't right with him. And, he's getting a ticket now!
People are frickin crazy!

Yeah man, the guy sounds nuts. Please remember though that there are even way more insane people than that running around. Some carry guns etc....
It's best to just avoid confrontation at all cost. You actually got lucky that nothing worse came from this. I just move over and let these Nutballers go around me and never see them again. You can do what you want but I recommend you rethink how you handled this whole situation.

One day someone will give this guy a near death experience that he will always remember. He will become a model citizen after that....

Yeah man, the guy sounds nuts. Please remember though that there are even way more insane people than that running around. Some carry guns etc....
It's best to just avoid confrontation at all cost. You actually got lucky that nothing worse came from this. I just move over and let these Nutballers go around me and never see them again. You can do what you want but I recommend you rethink how you handled this whole situation.
Yep.....aint worth dieing over something like this......

Well my normal handling of the situation would've been to get out and beat this guy's a$$ but I had my wife with me and this was the first time she experienced anything like this so she was scared. Also, I did try to let the guy go when I let him around me when he was passing me. That's all I could really do, but it didn't help as he just jammed his brakes on, came to a stop, and tried to get us to rearend him...I mean what else could've I done, really? I was already on the phone with 911.
He was intent on trying to do something anyways, no matter where I went or where I stopped he was going to have his way one way or another. So what else was I supposed to do???? It's not like I asked the guy to follow me or something.
I agree with you that there or even more nutty people out there and the thought of this guy doing something even more stupid (like having a gun) is part of the reason I called 911, that and it was dark on a semi-lighted street.

Well my normal handling of the situation would've been to get out and beat this guy's a$$ but I had my wife with me and this was the first time she experienced anything like this so she was scared. Also, I did try to let the guy go when I let him around me when he was passing me. That's all I could really do, but it didn't help as he just jammed his brakes on, came to a stop, and tried to get us to rearend him...I mean what else could've I done, really? I was already on the phone with 911.
He was intent on trying to do something anyways, no matter where I went or where I stopped he was going to have his way one way or another.
I agree with you that there or even more nutty people out there and the thought of this guy doing something even more stupid (like having a gun) is part of the reason I called 911, that and it was dark on a semi-lighted street.
Normally you would beat the guys ***......another tough guy......And if you were looking down the business end of a .45? You really that much of a tough guy? Come on now....drop the tough guy stuff......If we went around thumping everyone we ever had an altercation with chances are we would all be locked up.....So at some point he was in front of you, correct? No side streets to turn on? Perhaps even just flip a *****?

He was intent on trying to do something anyways, no matter where I went or where I stopped he was going to have his way one way or another.
Believe me I'm on your side. All I'm saying is that nothing good can come from confrontations on the road.
The first time he went to pass you and you sped up he had already won. He sucked you down to his level. If you would have moved over and slowed down and let him pass you would probably have eliminated all chances of confrontation.
Lol, I guess I'm just getting old. I just ain't fighting out on the road anymore. Too many Mental cases running around out there these days.

A .32 point blanks fixes that issue.

Believe me I'm on your side. All I'm saying is that nothing good can come from confrontations on the road.
The first time he went to pass you and you sped up he had already won. He sucked you down to his level. If you would have moved over and slowed down and let him pass you would probably have eliminated all chances of confrontation.
Lol, I guess I'm just getting old. I just ain't fighting out on the road anymore. Too many Mental cases running around out there these days.

I would like to agree with you on this; however, I sped up because we were coming up to a curve, in the dark, and there wasn't even a passing lane on this road. At least it made him slow down and get back behind us. Who knows what could've been around that curve and then we all might have been in a nasty mess.
And the fact that I did slow down after the curve and let him pass and he still chose to stop, tells me he was intent anyhow to get his point across, regardless if I let him go the first time....i believe he still would've jammed his brakes on and pulled the same stunt. And the fact that he's already in the system confirmed that for me.

Normally you would beat the guys ***......another tough guy......And if you were looking down the business end of a .45? You really that much of a tough guy? Come on now....drop the tough guy stuff......If we went around thumping everyone we ever had an altercation with chances are we would all be locked up.....So at some point he was in front of you, correct? No side streets to turn on? Perhaps even just flip a *****?

Would anyone really be tough looking down the end of a .45?? Yeah, didn't think so. And, yes, I do consider myself a pretty tough dude, just say I can hold my own.
I don't go around wanting to thump everyone I've had an altercation with either. As a matter of fact, I'm usually the "stay calm and settle everyone down" kind of guy. Usually the problem can be solved civilly. But when someone is threatening me and my wife, I would say you agree as well, that your defense/protection mechanism kicks in, it's either fight or flight and it just so happens I'm the fight kind of guy with a level calm head.

I believe if I would've gotten out of my vehicle to try and resolve this problem peacefully, he would've attacked me first. That's how raged out this man was. That's why I called 911 and reported it at the police station.

Could you imagine if it was your 17yo daughter or something and this dude decided to pull this crap just cuz she crossed into his lane a little bit? Like my wife says, who knows, this man could've went home and beat the crap out of his wife, kids, whatever. Obviously he has a screw loose somewhere...to be that angry over something so minor that happens everyday.

Well my normal handling of the situation would've been to get out and beat this guy's a$$ ....

I believe this would be the comment Ink was refering to. It implied that you have something of the same reaction mechanism as your aggressive friend. You did well by calling the authorities. You could've done even better by changing your course. Trust me, you may be able to handle your own, but there is always someone out there that can handle you. I'm not dogging on you, just saying.
Now you got an unstable dude who got a ticket because he thinks you done him wrong. If he goes to court and you have to bare witness against him, he will know you on sight. Now Mr. Mental will be looking for you because of all the trouble you caused him and you will be looking over your shoulder. Just sayin.....

In my area, it is worthless to call 911, to report an aggressive driver. The dispacher will tell you the officer has to witness the violation. This is even thought there are advertisements on TV, Radio, and billboards to report aggressive drivers. Best thing is to just get out of their way, and then ignore them.

this thread scares the crap out of me......it makes me fearful to roam the streets in a bigger city bcoz there are some looneys out there..

makes me feel safer that i live in a farm area where there is no one around for miles.

i am a very small female person and im pretty much defenseless so i would have flipped a U-turn or whatever to get as far from him as possible.

he was intent on doing something so chances are if you flipped a u-turn or turned off somewhere he would have followed but so there was prolly no way out ......but talk about some scary stuff ......gives me the creeps to hear this story. makes me glad to have stable ppl around me :prayer:

I believe both of you is as guilty at the other.

And those talking about pulling a gun.... read below a article from United States Concealed Carry Association.

"Yes, you could show them your gun and hope it
scares them away. I once heard a story of an old lady
who pulled into a left-turn lane, forcing a truck who
was trying to smoke it up through the lane to make
the green left-turn arrow to lock his brakes up, barely
avoiding rear-ending her. The pickup driver was so
upset by this, that he jumped out of his truck and
started running toward the old lady’s car (who had
stopped out of fright). He was almost to her car,
shouting “I’m gunna beat you’re a--!” when she
raised a little revolver from her purse. The guy did an
about-face, dropped to his hands and knees, and
scampered all the way back to his pickup.
An important note about this story is that the person
who brandishes the gun is an old lady. There exists a
term called “disparity of force”, and it measures a
person’s ability to inflict pain and suffering onto
another person. A young or middle-aged man
running to an old lady (she was around 80) shouting
that he is going to ‘beat her a--‘ would in most places,
constitute a deadly threat. Now, if you’re 45, and a 35
year old is running toward your car shouting the
same thing, you may not be treated so favorably in
court if it comes up later that you brandished your
pistol, which caused the other person to draw a gun
(or even just attack you). You would have provoked
the attack, at that point.
So, again, I don’t suggest brandishing for effect. If
you are in fear for your life or of great bodily harm,
you must defend your life. But if you’re not, you have
no right to deploy your weapon.
And besides- your vehicle presents you with many
dozen avenues of escape in most situations- so with a
little resourcefulness, there is little need to brandish
your gun anyway. "

I'm probably just gettin old...but when I encounter the dipstickz like this clown in a BFH...I just pull over and let em by....shake my head and grin knowing his BS will eventually catch up to him....I just want no part of it.

I know...20/20 hindsight

Too many people drive with a "This is MY f'n planet" attitude.
Mine is a "Fine, you can have it" and "I hope you can be all alone here someday" attitude.

My normal way of handling a situation like that would have been to just let him pass, and be done with it. He's not worth 10 seconds of my life, and certainly not aggravation and time he stole from you.

"I just move over and let these Nutballers go around me and never see them again. You can do what you want but I recommend you rethink how you handled this whole situation".

Bingo!

One day someone will give this guy a near death experience that he will always remember. He will become a model citizen after that....

Yep. I was just going to say that someone will kick his *** for that one day, and he'll quit real quick.

we were out front, probably at least 30ft or so in front of the Ram and I crossed into the right lane a little bit but corrected quickly.
so you were about a length and a half in front of him? I wouldn't call that 'nowhere near' him.

wips out to pass...in the turn median!! So, I floor it
he tried to pass you so you floored it? That's usually enough to get someone majorly pissed off.

NEVER get out of the car-EVER!!

If you get out to fight and he pulls a gun and kills you, not only are you dead but his lawyer may get him off because you left the vehicle to confront him and "he felt his life was in danger." Not to mention your wife was sitting there and he could have harmed her too.

I know it is hard for us to walk away. We feel like we should stand up for ourselves and show him what is what. But the best and smartest thing to do is report him and move on.

The cops already knew him. He is a repeat customer of theirs. That says it all.

Now a quick funny story. My brother in law had a traffic hassle with three guys in a car. they ended up beside each other at a light. One of the guys says, "What are you going to do?"

My brother in law had one of those big 64 oz drinks and it was full of Coke and ice. When the guy said that, my brother in law threw it right in his face. LOL
The guy driving must have figured out my BIL was a nut because he gunned it and got the heck out of there.

Like it has been said, it's best to let him pass. I'm not clear as to why you didn't. You said a bend was coming up. I would think it would be more dangerous to have him behind you. I'm on your side, the guy was a nut case.
I carry concealed for just these scenarios. Before anyone jumps on me here, I don't take the responsibility lightly. I would only draw if he had me stopped/trapped and got out of the car with a weapon. I'm not trying to seem like some badass, I'm not. But, I do have protection if someone comes at me with a weapon wanting to do bodily harm to me or my family.
I would have let the guy pass and put my hands up to show "ok, you're right, I'm wrong, sorry dude" whatever.

Here in Arizona you'll get shot for jumping out of your car and approaching another car screaming.

I had a guy in a 4x4 run a red left turn in front of me and when I shook my head like he was a dumbass, he flipped me off.
Well, I flipped him off back and he turned around and followed me into the bank I was pulling in to.
I took my cellphone and my .380 and layed them beside each other in the passenger seat.
He came running up to my car screaming "WTF are YOU going to do?"
I told him I hadn't decided which he was going to make me use yet.

That did it.

Here in Arizona you'll get shot for jumping out of your car and approaching another car screaming.

I had a guy in a 4x4 run a red left turn in front of me and when I shook my head like he was a dumbass, he flipped me off.
Well, I flipped him off back and he turned around and followed me into the bank I was pulling in to.
I took my cellphone and my .380 and layed them beside each other in the passenger seat.
He came running up to my car screaming "WTF are YOU going to do?"
I told him I hadn't decided which he was going to make me use yet.

That did it.

I'm liking arizona and that response :cheers:

-
Back