Just picked up a 66 Valiant

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I was at a swap meet in Canfield, Ohio today, and as usual, there was basically nothing for Mopars there. I got a set of MP Ductile Iron 4-bolt main caps for my 408 build for $100, NIB. I saw rain heading in, and was about to give up, when I saw some guy towing in a 1966 Valiant. My 8 year old son and I walked (much faster than we did the rest of the day) after the tow truck to follow it. I get there to find a 45K original mile, slant 6/3spd on the column, Valiant 2 dr. The front fenders are shot, it is from Nevada but spent the last 15 years in Pittsburgh. It needs seat covers. It starts and runs fine, manual steering/brakes, radio delete, it is light blue with light/dark blue interior. A little rust, but not bad for this area. Also included in the deal is a 72 360 that runs and an a-body 4-speed, all for $800. I think that is a good deal, this is the first early a-body that I've owned, so I guess I'll find out. I'll be using the small bolt kelsey hayes discs off the front of my Dart, and I have an extra 8 3/4 that I just recently bought. I can peice this together relatively cheap, I think, and make a fun car to drive while I'm working on my Dart. I'm gonna post some pics tomorrow, when I go to pick it up. Without seeing it...does it sound like a good deal? I mean, the paint is faded on the roof, etc, it isn't perfect, but its complete and running.

GOOD DEAL for sure, I picked up a fender from dartcuda myself and very happy with it.
You know how I feel about the 66 Valiant Is it a sedan 2 door with the 170/?

Ralley's 003.jpg

Awesome Deal.

http://www.autoevents.com/default.htm

Dave & Ed's Canfield Swap Meet

Canfield, Ohio - Canfield Fairgrounds

YEAR 2009 DATES!
- May 1, 2 & 3, 2009
- July 17, 18 & 19, 2009
- September 18, 19 & 20, 2009

I was at a swap meet in Canfield, Ohio today, and as usual, there was basically nothing for Mopars there. I got a set of MP Ductile Iron 4-bolt main caps for my 408 build for $100, NIB. I saw rain heading in, and was about to give up, when I saw some guy towing in a 1966 Valiant. My 8 year old son and I walked (much faster than we did the rest of the day) after the tow truck to follow it. I get there to find a 45K original mile, slant 6/3spd on the column, Valiant 2 dr. The front fenders are shot, it is from Nevada but spent the last 15 years in Pittsburgh. It needs seat covers. It starts and runs fine, manual steering/brakes, radio delete, it is light blue with light/dark blue interior. A little rust, but not bad for this area. Also included in the deal is a 72 360 that runs and an a-body 4-speed, all for $800. I think that is a good deal, this is the first early a-body that I've owned, so I guess I'll find out. I'll be using the small bolt kelsey hayes discs off the front of my Dart, and I have an extra 8 3/4 that I just recently bought. I can peice this together relatively cheap, I think, and make a fun car to drive while I'm working on my Dart. I'm gonna post some pics tomorrow, when I go to pick it up. Without seeing it...does it sound like a good deal? I mean, the paint is faded on the roof, etc, it isn't perfect, but its complete and running.

Memike, your car looks awesome!! I hope mine looks that good eventually. I drove it home today, the brakes were...less than adequate, but I made it home. Needs some seat covers. I cannot believe how easy the manual steering is!! The engine seems nice and tight, everything is much newer feeling than I expected. I am going to get some pics of it tomorrow. I need to to find some fenders for it, dartcuda yours sound like a REALLY good deal. I didn't realize how hard the early a-body parts are to find than my 72 Dart parts. I can't wait to drive the car again! I'm going to be taking a look at the brakes, etc tomorrow (as long as it doesn't rain, I don't have a garage for it yet) and I'll take as many pics as I can.

Memike, I forgot to add, it is a sedan, with 3 on the column. I'm not sure what slant 6 is in it, the air cleaner is a really small one with 225 Super Six on it. Its only a one barrel. I'm on my way to go check it out some more now, its at my brothers. It has bad wheel bearings, so I don't want to drive it any further yet. I'll get some pics today.

Look at the side of the engine where the bypass hose is for the water pump.
If the hose is like 2-3 inches long its prob a 225.
If the hose is like 1-2 inches ling its a 170.

:worthles:

Memike, I forgot to add, it is a sedan, with 3 on the column. I'm not sure what slant 6 is in it, the air cleaner is a really small one with 225 Super Six on it. Its only a one barrel. I'm on my way to go check it out some more now, its at my brothers. It has bad wheel bearings, so I don't want to drive it any further yet. I'll get some pics today.

Ok, ok here are some pics!! :) Decoding the vin, the VL21B6 tells me it is the 225, I don't know whether it is the 3spd manual or if it has different gears, or its just lighter, or what, but it seems MUCH perkier than the 225 was in my 72' Dart with an automatic and 2.76's. I didn't do much today, just moved it in my brothers driveway. Depending on how much cash I have, I know I need front fenders, and possibly the inners too. The bottoms of them aren't bad, but the tops are shot. I have no idea what they reproduce for these cars, I still have alot of research to do. The seats need redone, it has a rubber mat in the interior that I want to replace with carpet. The front floors have some small holes in them, and the trunk is really, really nice. I'll be removing all the undercoating from underneath the car, sandblasting, etc. so I know what I have underneath. Before I drive it much, I want to replace the brakes. I always have my kids with me, and I just don't trust the 9" drums and single master cylinder. Will the upper/lower control arms, etc from a 67 and up A-body fit? I am putting big bolt pattern brakes on my 72, and it has all new small bolt discs on it, so I thought I'd just use those if they will bolt in. Also, anyone know if the torsion bars from the later a-bodies will work? I have a set of low-mileage used 340 t-bars from a Demon lying in my basement, I thought I'd put them on as well. Anyway, I gotta clean the house now (being a single dad and a stay at home mom at the same time is alot of work! haha) so here are a pics and a link to my photobucket album I started.
P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010060.jpg

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/metallidart72/1966 Plymouth Valiant/

Oh, and before I tackle the cleaning, cavemanmoron, thanks for the help with trying to figure out what six is in it! I'll be looking at it tomorrow to check out the hose and make sure it is a 225. I checked out your pic, man your Valiant is nice too!! I hope I can get mine looking like that. First thing I want to do is make it safe, I get paranoid anymore with my kids in the car. Thanks again

Welcome to the Early A-bodys Metalldart!As I made a thred about Early A,s popping up everywhere,this is proof again!Sounds like you got a sweet deal,getting the 72 360,4 speed with the car!Congrats!Get er safe for the family.

Thanks Vic and Pettyblu! The more I look at the car, the more excited I get about the resto. After driving it, I almost want to keep the slant six in it. Almost. Oh, and slantscamp, I may take you up on the offer. Between the lack of noise coming from the engine, etc, and no radio, I was ready to fall asleep after about 20 minutes.

Nice score! looks like you got yourself a great project. oh and the brakes and torsion bars will swap right over.

Thanks camd64!! I've been wondering about that since I bought it haha. So far, here is the parts list I have for it...OEM 340 T-bars, 72' 4-pistons brakes with less than 10K miles on the ball joints, poly bushings, etc, 69 8.75" w 3.23 open 489 case and 10" drums, 70' 318 I just rebuilt with mildly ported heads, Weiand intake, crane .460/.450 224/232 cam, a-833, bellhousing, 2.5" 3-chamber flowmasters. I've been thinking of selling all the stuff I had laying around...I'm glad I didnt! I will be looking HARD for a 4-spd hump, fenders, and sbp cragars.

also saw your looking at a drop center link, for the 66? if so look at yours because it should already have the drop link if i remember right.

Thanks! I thought of that after I sent the email, I remembered my Dart had a dropped link with a slant 6, too. Come to think of it, I have never honestly seen a straight center link. Will the lower control arms from my 72 work with on the 66 as well? I will be rebuilding a set for my 72 with the reinforcement plates, etc, so I am thinking of just swapping the whole thing over, top to bottom.

yeah the lowers will swap over too. the real early -a's- like my '64 came with a straight center link since it was originaly a /6. your lucky and should already have one, I think i ended up paying like $100 for mine.

That is one sweet unit. Ohio? Hows the salt issues on it? That will make a great ride. Congratulations on a find that even i would like to run onto.
Small Block

Thanks Small Block! Luckily, the salt didn't get it too bad. It was in Nevada for the first half of its life, which I guess that explains the faded paint and dried vinyl. After that it came to Pittsburgh, and that killed the front fenders and splash shields. Also the tops of the inner fenders need replaced. Thankfully, the rest of it is pretty clean...for Ohio. I'm sure I'll run into issues that I haven't found yet, though.

Nice score, metallidart!
I did the single-dad deal for a lot of years. Booted out the ex, kept the house, the kids, and my '69 Dart years ago. Even got her to pay me child support! It is a lot of work but very rewarding. Your kids will always know you're there for them.

-
Back