Just picked up a 69 Cuda...

-

Detroit Muscle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member to this board but not new to Mopars. They have been in my family for my entire life. My father owns a beautiful 1969 Roadrunner with a 426 Hemi sitting under a 1071 BDS blower on E85. Let's just say it makes some serious horsepower, like way into the four digits.

As for me, I just turned 20 a few months ago, have been saving up some cash and just picked up my car. This Saturday (10-13-2012) I bought a 1969 Fastback cuda. I have my own idea what I'm doing but I need to get rid of that 340. Not a fan of them at all. I've known about such swaps and have even been finding Hemi motors before I had the car. I'm a strong believer that everything is better with a hemi lol. I'm not sure whether to go with the 5.7l, which I could pick up very soon for cheap. Or hold out and try to find a 6.1, or even bigger. I'm looking to come close to 500hp. Also don't want to do a lot of trans work since I'm not the greatest with em. I got the 727 and have heard of simple swaps, and swaps from hell.

So, any help would be great. Is the 6.1 an overall better motor to shoot for? Can a 5.7l make good power and be a strong motor? Also remember that I'm a 20 year old, working two jobs, and going to school full time. Dropping cash isn't easy for me and I need a decent price.

I came up with the number 500 because it's a great overall number. I own an 86 Grand National that makes that and the car is lethal. Also looking to put a 150-200 shot of juice on the hemi. Again, any and all information, advice, or just words of wisdom will help.
much appreciated, and I'm glad to finally be a Mopar owner!

I also saved this cars life. I found it wasting it's life away in an old shed up near my cabin. Car surprisingly still looks great after 15+ years of just sitting.

I plan on pulling it, cleaning it up and making sure it runs strong before getting rid of it. It's just not on my list of things I want to put money in.

Welcome. Congrats on the Mopar. Remember to uprade seatbelts and brakes while you uprade your power. Also dillinger chassis he is a member here to help that body handle that horse. Have Fun

You dont want to flip the 340 if its #s matching....just bench store the block and heads and save the extra grand yu need.

Gen 3 will bolt straight up to your 727 with the flex plate and bellhousing shim from MP.

If you run a kickdwn there'll be some extra $$ required with EFI.

Make sure your trans is healthy to take the xtra tq of the Hemi.

It is not a numbers matching car.
I'll upload pictures once I get to a computer, I'm currently using my phone so I'm pretty sure it wont let me unless I give a link.

I'm swapping it over to disc brakes, and I'm tearing the seats out and carpet. Might even put a small cage in it.

Picture Link doesn't work. Lots of Hemi's in Detroit... I search for them every few days or so.

A 5.7L runs 345hp. You can stroke it out to 392ci for lots of power. If you want to be like your day get a 6.1L and stroke it to 426ci. Also I don't like 150-200 shot of nitrous on any motor not built to take it....plus 500 can be obtained without it.

Riddler

Thanks for letting me know. I'll find my link to my fathers car, and then add mine. I haven't had to chance to take any real good ones of his since its been up in the shop getting the rear end fixed.

Here's two quick photos, I'll upload the other one soon. Any idea where I could sell the motor? I have no need for it.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/88682852@N03/8091926561/"]Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/88682852@N03/8091927125/in/photostream/"]Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Can you post the vin off the engine?? I might be interested. The vin is stamped on flat machined surface down by the oil pan on the passenger side. Nice looking cuda by the way!!

Depends whether it runs, what heads and intake, what year, bore size etc etc....more details/specs would help

Seeing those pics, i'd like to see all the fender tag codes. Could be interesting.

-
Back